Number plate extender, splash guard

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My RT has a genuine BMW extender on the rear mudguard on which I’ve mounted an additional running / brake light controlled by the Cansmart.

I wanted to do something similar on my GS so fabricated this.

3mm genuine Perspex in Matt black off eBlag ( cut to a4 size by supplier) £5.

Cheap led brake light from the same place also about a fiver and the an hour's work in the garage to shape, bend and fit it.

Total cost under £11.

I’ll have to see how it performs, I’ve fitted a hugger so the original rear guard had to be removed.

I’ll be replacing the tatty old number plate next.

Attachments

• 025C4972-8774-4EC0-A537-DED204F34903.jpg
    025C4972-8774-4EC0-A537-DED204F34903.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 24356420-B4BA-4652-BE47-83EE96B7817C.jpg
    24356420-B4BA-4652-BE47-83EE96B7817C.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 327
  • F8204167-A76D-4DAB-B81C-9E11BE4A98A1.jpg
    F8204167-A76D-4DAB-B81C-9E11BE4A98A1.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 315
I have done this on my GS1200 a 2014 LC. The cheap extra light failed and had to be replaced. I guess (though can’t prove) that it was caused by water ingress through the holes in the plate. This time round I have used a sealant between the light and the plate esp round the bolt hole and wire entrance in order to try to reduce the ingress of water. Even some sealant on the bike side of the extender.
I think that this is a great safety improvement. Looks good IMHO.

I like your use of the matt black acrylic. Nice idea. Does a polycarbonate matt black also exist? I haven't looked, but you've got need thinking!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I like your use of the matt black acrylic. Nice idea. Does a polycarbonate matt black also exist? I haven't looked, but you've got need thinking!

I really don’t know, I just searched for Perspex because I know I could form it with heat, why might polycarbonate be a better choice?

I really don’t know, I just searched for Perspex because I know I could form it with heat, why might polycarbonate be a better choice?
Acrylic (perspex) is comparatively brittle, well, from an impact perspective.
But don't get me wrong, I think you're will be fine! I guess pc would have been my first thought. I like what you've done, almost looks OEM

Acrylic (perspex) is comparatively brittle, well, from an impact perspective.
But don't get me wrong, I think you're will be fine! I guess pc would have been my first thought. I like what you've done, almost looks OEM

Thanks, I’ve made them from aluminium before now but it’s a bugger to keep any paint on them even with etch primer.

Thanks, I’ve made them from aluminium before now but it’s a bugger to keep any paint on them even with etch primer.
Yea, painting Ali is never great. Powder coating is an option I guess, my more hassle and expense!

I'd carry on as you are. Looks good

I’ve got a metal one in the shed somewhere if anyone’s after one. I need to send a spare silencer to geesexr so could post that too (poor blokes been waiting ages)

What a pity you didn't fit a dedicated rear fog warning lamp instead of a tail/brake light.

It amazes me that rear fog lamps are not fitted to motorcycles OEM.

What a pity you didn't fit a dedicated rear fog warning lamp instead of a tail/brake light.

It amazes me that rear fog lamps are not fitted to motorcycles OEM.

I think the brake light (for me) is a better choice, in 30years riding I can count on about 3 fingers how often I’ve ridden in fog.

Obviously you don't ride too much in France in the autumn ! ........... Fair enough :)
Or early winter. Had fog (300m visibility avg) from before Saarbrucken ALL the way until Saint Qientin!!! Very taxing!!

On a completely separate note, but on the theme of tail lights, has anyone else been reading about these biker deaths at the hands of Tesla's? From my understanding, it's always been cruisers, who's tail lights are pretty low compared to many other bikes, the Tesla's radar computes/understand the bike to be much further in the distance than it really is, accounting for the high speeds the bikes have been rear ended. Not sure on my memory, but there's been 5-6 deaths last year... Oh, these are all in the US.

Back
Top Bottom