Off-tarmac routes in the French Alps?

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks

Planning a few days down in the Haute Savoie, and riding a few of the gravel tracks up in to the mountains. Does anyone have any routes they recommend or have done before?

I have the IGNRando maps, and some recommendations from Wikiloc so far …

Cheers aye

Nin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ok I’ll stick what I learn and use on here at the end of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a few routes that I’ve scrounged. I haven’t ridden them but very happy for you to be a Guinea pig!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a few routes that I’ve scrounged. I haven’t ridden them but very happy for you to be a Guinea pig!

I’m game!

Btw sorry about silence on clay pigeons - we’re managing multiple very elderly parents that are taking up every spare moment, bless ‘em.

My favorites in no particular order:

Col du Parpaillon
Col de Valbelle
Col de Sommeiller

and these two over the border in Italy

Forte Jafferau
Colle dell Assietta

I have done each of these several times so if you have any questions just ask.

There are many more yet to be done

He said Haute Savoie though.

I've done the Parpaillon and it is excellent and - quiet.

Assietta is around there too. Nice and easy.

There is a large collection here but you have to pay.
I paid for and downloaded a goodly amount of the French routes... Not had time to do any yet...:blast

It would be great if bods will post the GPX tracks into this thread. If yiu are stuck, PM me for my email address and I’l do it for you.

Col du Parpaillon
Col de Valbelle
Col de Sommeiller

Forte Jafferau
Colle dell Assietta

Just remembered that the Sommeiller track is actually just in Italy, not France.

Based around Bourg-Saint-Maurice and Sainte Foy, but happy to travel to o get to some good routes.

Whatever I end up riding I’ll stick onto a separate thread on here for peeps.

Targeted at push bikes but includes sections, from which push bikes are banned. The suggestion there is to….. carry it.
Yes, it is. A chap I know rode it last year and on many sections of off road there were a fair few motorbikes (as well as a convoy of both 4 x 4s and normal older cars on some sort of rally) Lots of the tracks are what we'd know as green lanes in the UK

Col du Parpaillon
Col de Valbelle
Col de Sommeiller

Forte Jafferau
Colle dell Assietta

Are these paved or unpaved?

There’s an inmate on advrider called glitch_oz has dozens of routes. A bit hard to find, and he posts a link to a Google map so some work to do, but might be worth searching out.

Yes, it is. A chap I know rode it last year and on many sections of off road there were a fair few motorbikes (as well as a convoy of both 4 x 4s and normal older cars on some sort of rally) Lots of the tracks are what we'd know as green lanes in the UK

Thanks for the update.

Bicycle centric websites are often pretty good for bods on bikes, too. After all, they often like riding the same sort of roads (and staying in the same ‘friendly’ hotels) as anyone on a motorcycl.

Back
Top Bottom