Pacific Coast Highway

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
11th May

It was raining hard when I woke, so I went back to sleep :D

As I packed the bike (having delayed the inevitable, by making a few phone calls to the UK), the skies began to clear and the rain abated. I rode south down the Highway 101, the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). As I leave Newport, I ride over a very elegant bridge…

4150191-L.jpg

I continue down the 101 all day. It follows the coast quite closely to begin with, but occasionally strays inland, when the coast gets too rocky. Just after I stop for lunch in Waldport – which has another bridge – this one with a visitor centre (the car park for which, it is fair to say, was not full…)

4150194-L.jpg

…the road started to climb. The highway is cut into the side of the cliff, which affords an excellent view down the Pacific Coast…

4150225-L.jpg

…which is looking far from pacific – surf’s up!

4150197-L.jpg

As I travel further south, the weather improves, and the sea state calms a little, until, by about 1600, it looks fantastic…

4150256-L.jpg

I find a Mom & Pop Motel in Brookings and, after a Mexican meal in the restaurant opposite, settle in for the evening…

4150235-L-1.jpg

Sorry – don’t know what it is – just seems like there’s some great looking bridges today :confused:

4151737-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom