Phil Read Replica

Billd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I do like projects and to that end I recently bought a 1978 Phil Read Replica. There are many that were built up from kits that Collin Seeley sold but this is one of the 150 that Collin built prior to Phil Read falling out with Honda, the remaining Honda F2’s in Collins possession were then made into Honda Britains. This is a numbers correct bike. Will post updates from time to time as the project progresses.

Can someone please flip pictures right way round!

Attachments

• 58F18237-635F-4342-9EDA-45E9E33DD659.jpeg
    58F18237-635F-4342-9EDA-45E9E33DD659.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 508
  • D57C6E04-887A-4EF4-BE52-CCC7EA8B90BF.jpeg
    D57C6E04-887A-4EF4-BE52-CCC7EA8B90BF.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 518
  • D2EC162A-0058-4A6E-AD34-2832B372148F.jpeg
    D2EC162A-0058-4A6E-AD34-2832B372148F.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 503
  • DC727C58-19F5-4702-A8A9-6735941BF63C.jpeg
    DC727C58-19F5-4702-A8A9-6735941BF63C.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 504
Always liked those when they first came out,good luck with the rebuild.

Kimbo

The CB750F2 that they were based on was my first big bike as a 22year old in 1983. Flat slide carbs two sets of points screw and locknut valves and a light show under the tank every time it rained ��. Fond memories of my 3 week trip to France when the exhaust silencer fell off in the middle of the Massif Central:)

I’m in. I remember that bike, and seeing Phil ride the TT. did you get it in bits or decide to log the rebuild after removing the engine? It looks like a pretty thorough engine overhaul is about to start:thumby:

When I bought the bike the previous owner had put another 750F2 motor into it as the bike had been sitting for years and then started with out having done an oil change. I said I was interested if I could get the original motor with it even though it was in bits and needed a O/H. The crank was full of sludge to the point it damage the crank on start up as the previous owner had suspected . I did do an inspection of it by removing the crank blanking balls and cleaned out the sludge, will include some pictures. In the first picture you can see I've ground the top of the ball off, you then punch it around and grind more off until you can remove it. 2nd picture is with the ball removed , you need to do all 4 of them. The last picture is removing the sludge, it had completely plugged off all oil flow to the rod journals so all they were getting was splash oiling. Also got a good crank with it. I like the idea of building the motor/transmission as then I only have myself to blame if it goes wrong. Will update in a week or two.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 488
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 485
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 478
I am constantly in awe of people who do this.

Will look forward to seeing your results

I keep coming back for another look at this, it's a very long time since I saw a Phil Read Replica.

The limited production really does make that a valuable classic. Lovely stuff.

Had a 400-4 in 1978 and got a twin headlight fairing (not sure if genuine) that I was going to fit and make a mini-Phil Read Replica. Never happened (like lots of my projects!)

I'm in - I'm an armchair restorer.....(does not mean I restore armchairs!)

Thanks for all your encouraging comment gents. Just a little background on the Phil Read Replica as I understand it, any corrections are welcomed and encouraged!

Honda UK contacted Honda Japan and got permission to create a tribute bike for Phil Reads win on the Isle Of Man in 1977 while riding a 750 Honda. With Hondas approval they contacted Collin Seeley to create a Phil Read Replica based on the poorly selling 1977 and 1978 CB750F2. Honda UK had its dealers sent Collin their unsold F2's, he received about 500 bikes in total and once the concept bike was accepted by Honda UK he started to produce finished bikes as well as kits that F2 owners could buy and modify their own bikes. After Collin Seeley had produced about 150 bikes Phil Read became upset with Honda UK for not getting compensated enough in the way of royalties for the use of his name on the bike, it is rumoured he was receiving £10.00 per unit produced and expected more. At this point Honda UK pulled the plug on the project and had Collin Seeley modify the remainder of the warehoused F2's into "Honda Britain's". Same fairing, no Phil Read decal, different tank and exhaust cans, and painted white with red or blue stripes . The remaining 350 bikes were finished in this fashion.

Of the 150 Colin Seeley produced bikes about 55 can be accounted for today, most still in the UK. It is considered the first fully faired race replica built with the original manufactures consent . It's only performance improvement over the stock F2 is a freer breathing exhaust and jetting to suit. As far as I'm aware it was only sold in the UK although some have been exported to Europe and I know of 2 presently in the US of A . The Honda CB750K was about 52 hp at the rear wheel and the F2 was about 58hp so the Phil Read Replica could be estimated at about 60hp.

What I'll do next week is detail in pictures what Collin Seeley did to modify the F2's and create the PRR's

Wow, you certainly know your stuff. And the sludge in that crank is beyond belief. I’m surprised at the power of the CB750, I would have thought 60+ would be more the mark. Just goes to show, rose tinted glasses are no substitute.

Following this.

Sludge.....urghh.

(Funningly enough, I have just checked out the removeable sludge trap on my Ariel Red Hunter. 42 years since the complete engine rebuild, with regular oil changes....clean as a whistle).

err. Carry on :D

Wow, you certainly know your stuff. And the sludge in that crank is beyond belief. I’m surprised at the power of the CB750, I would have thought 60+ would be more the mark. Just goes to show, rose tinted glasses are no substitute.

The quoted power for the CB750F2 was 73bhp vs 67 for the K7. I’d say 55-60 was about right top whack on the clocks was 115-120 so probably about 110.

Quoted horsepower figures are often very optimistic. Manufactures commonly give figures off the engine drive sprocket rather than at the rear wheel and even then they tend to be optimistic . A good example of this is the Suzuki GT750. Commonly you read hp as between 67 and 70HP. When tested on a chassis dyno (rear wheel horsepower) a stock engine was 50 to 52 hp. Most consider a chain drive as found on most bikes to consume about 6 to 8hp.

Just following up from my first post and the primer on how to determine if a Phil Read was constructed by Colin Seeley or is a parts bike. I did clean up the 2nd crank shaft for use and did remove all the restrictor balls in the crankshaft to clean out the internal oil ways as detailed on the first post. This crank was also plugged off so cleaned it and installed a m6 set screw to blank it as in the first picture.

2nd picture is a general over all picture of the bike with the carbon steel original exhaust can on it, looks rough but will clean up well

3rd picture is of rear brake foot pedal, a Seeley bespoke item and very rare

Attachments

• p61.jpg
    p61.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 205
the bike came with two Cibie sealed beam lights

Attachments

• p12.jpg
    p12.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 195
  • p13.jpg
    p13.jpg