Project Christine. (GS1000s)

sycomoto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been along time since I had a decent project to get stuck into. Well today all the stars aligned and after trying to track down the owner of this little stunner I finally got to speak to him. I first saw this bike in 2020 when house hunting. In a ramshackle lean too under a tarp the rear light was sticking out. I knew straight away what it belonged to. Over the last 4 years I popped over to knock on the door with no success. Today I was on an errand for the boss and as I’ve not been over that way in 12 months I decided to see if she was still there. Well bugger me as I drove past the owner of the house came out. We after a little conversation and some bribery with funny money I’m now the proud owner of a genuine 1979 Suzuki GS1000S. The plan is to return her to her former showroom condition. Those who know me know I like to name my special bike so ladies and gents meet Christine.IMG_4328.jpegIMG_4327.jpegIMG_4323.jpegIMG_4325.jpeg

Excellent, I have a 76 GS750 in my garage somewhere under all the junk.
Nothing like the sound of an old Jap 4 with all that over engineered heavy metal spinning away. :thumb

I'm assuming the 1000 uses the same vacuum fuel tap as the 750?
This being the case, it caused me so much grief with mine.
It would cut out a mile down the road, then after a minute or so fire up again.
Tried a refurb kit with no joy, so bought a pattern fuel tap which didn't resolve the cutting out either.
So the fuel tap being the problem was eliminated, and other things were tried without success.

Everything I researched led back to the vacuum fuel tap, so a genuine Suzuki fuel tap was sourced for an extortionate amount of money with immediate results.

Just my recollection of a GS that had been sat for years and years, and worth bearing in mind.

I'm assuming the 1000 uses the same vacuum fuel tap as the 750?
This being the case, it caused me so much grief with mine.
It would cut out a mile down the road, then after a minute or so fire up again.
Tried a refurb kit with no joy, so bought a pattern fuel tap which didn't resolve the cutting out either.
So the fuel tap being the problem was eliminated, and other things were tried without success.

Everything I researched led back to the vacuum fuel tap, so a genuine Suzuki fuel tap was sourced for an extortionate amount of money with immediate results.

Just my recollection of a GS that had been sat for years and years, and worth bearing in mind.
I’m pretty sure that’ll be the least of my issues with this old girl. Lol

UK Model with the 18" rear wheel ?
Ideal candidate for a Sanctuary style rebuild but worth more standard.
It looks original bar the front mudguard

UK Model with the 18" rear wheel ?
Ideal candidate for a Sanctuary style rebuild but worth more standard.
It looks original bar the front mudguard
It was registered in 79 so one of the first batch. I’m probably going to go down the route of useable classic rather than full showroom jobbie mainly because a full original 4 into 2 exhaust is very rare and can cost £2/3k and the original mirrors are like hens teeth and are going for £600 which is silly for something that’s as much use as a paper condom. Front mudguards are available at a reasonable price. The other thing might be to fit later slotted disks as the original ones didn’t work if it was raining which in the UK could be an issue.lol

Saw one at a show last year with gsx1100 sd katana front wheel and gsx1100 efe rear letting him use tubeless tyres and a 140/80 x 17 rear ( same set up I used on my kat in the eatly 90's

With my Kat I have uprated running gear and all of the original stuff is in the loft

It was registered in 79 so one of the first batch. I’m probably going to go down the route of useable classic rather than full showroom jobbie mainly because a full original 4 into 2 exhaust is very rare and can cost £2/3k and the original mirrors are like hens teeth and are going for £600 which is silly for something that’s as much use as a paper condom. Front mudguards are available at a reasonable price. The other thing might be to fit later slotted disks as the original ones didn’t work if it was raining which in the UK could be an issue.lol
My 750 is an October 76, and one the first with wire wheels and single solid disc. Still had the sticker on the fork leg warning of brake performance in the wet.
By early 77 they were cast with twin discs.

I bought new decals from a Canadian company ...

... who were very good as I remember.

The engine will I'm sure be just fine, just the dodgy electrics and fueling components that let them down.

Well I’m still waiting for a key to come so I can start the project properly. In the meantime I thought I’d start getting my garage sorted out and a clean work space arranged. That done it was time to start ringing around getting the right people to do the jobs needed. So my mate Steve is going to paint the frame, swingarm and other odds n sods. A mates race sponsor is going to do the bodywork and after seeing some of his classics I know he’s the right man for the job. Ross’s old engine guy is going to sort the engine including all the vapour blasting and I’m going to reverb the clocks, switch gear and nickel plate all the nuts n bolts.
It’s all coming together nicely. It should look mint when it’s done.

Unbelievable. After picking up my tools from a mates this morning I thought I’d strip a few bits of Christine (my 79 gs1000s) well to say I’m surprised is an understatement. After 33years outside under a tarp the nuts n bolts are coming undone surprisingly easily. Foot pegs, mirrors, side covers silly luggage rack all came off with minimal effort.
If this how the bikes going to come apart this will be a pretty easy job. I was expecting to need a bulk purchase of WD40 and blow torch gas.lol

It might be a bit easier keeping all the GS1000 stuff in one thread ?

Stripdowns started and apart from one bolt holding a crash bar on everything has come apart so easy I’m amazed.

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4345.jpeg

Today i’s been mostly wiring up some lights in the garage and trying to work out how to get the clocks off Christine. Not a simple job as I’ve discovered. I was hoping it would just be a case of unplugging the electrics from the clocks but no, it’s each individual light has to be popped out of its holder once you fathom out how to remove all the framework. One saving grace is all the nuts n bolts are in fine fettle and have come apart easily.

IMG_4348.jpeg

IMG_4347.jpeg

Safe to say these are beyond repair. I’ve now a pretty large pile of rust on the floor from the inside and outside of the pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_4350.jpeg
    IMG_4350.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 110

Back
Top Bottom