Puncture prevention etc

TomP

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I don’t put Puncturesafe in the tyres of my 2015 GSA, largely because I’d read that it harms the tyre pressure sensors. However, I’ve used it for years (and Ultraseal before it) on the three K1200LTs I’ve owned.

Today, I discovered my current LT had picked up some kind of nail or rivet in the rear tyre, mostly through the tread. Removed it, and the tyre’s not lost any pressure, fortunately. However, the matter had me wondering what the current wisdom is on those “get you home” cans of tyre sealant, so far as GSA road tyres are concerned? I don’t ride off road, but I’m beginning to think a can of something in a pannier to seal and reinflate a tyre after a nail etc would be good insurance.

What’s good, from first-hand experience of owners on this forum, please?

Thanks.

Tom

Or consider sticky strings - look a bit 'Heath Robinson' but very effective.

More so than Stop 'n' Go plugs.

Anything that is Gooey fucks the tyre up IMO better to plug it with Stop N Go or similar and carry on and at the end if it cant be plugged because the hole is too big or the position etc then its a new tyre anyway and no amount of Goo will solve the problem

“Get you Home” cans are just that and tyres with it cannot be repaired. In my experience tyre fitters are even loath to remove them from the wheel due to the mess they make and will not dispose of the carcass

I swear by Rema Tip Top Rep & Air. I did 6000 miles and a 2 week Alps tour with a plug in on my last tyre after getting a puncture 2 days after it was fitted.

Only once have I been unable to repair a puncture with a Rema plug and that was a large double cut which was also too big for a proper internal mushroom repair and needed the tyre to be replaced. It took 2 plugs and made it slow enough to ride 20miles to the nearest bike shop.

These are what BMW used to include in the bike toolkits.

Back
Top Bottom