Questions about MOT

bosnjo

Reaction score
A question for the members that live in countries with mandatory MOT for motorcycles:

Portugal doesn't have MOT for bikes yet and it has never had it. After a decade of pressure from EU, MOT for motorcycles and quads with more then 250cc will start 1st of January 2024.
Now, I know very well what the MOT for cars is, but I know nothing about MOT for motorcycles. I have original exhaust can so I can put it on for MOT. But besides that, there are rumors that you can't have topbox because it goes further back from the size limit of the bike, even if you show up at MOT without it because the mount is too long. The other rumor is about AUX lights. Even if there was no switch to turn them on and off, and you show up at MOT with them mounted on the bike, your bike will fail, even if the inspector wasn't able to turn them on. Then there are some other rumors about aftermarket windshield, headight protection... One guy even said you can't have crashbars if your bike wasn't purchased new from the dealer with them installed.
I'm sure a lot of it is BS but can you tell me how is it in your country?

Thanks

Well in the UK my GS goes for servicing with top box and Aux lights on.
my top box is big too, its a 58ltr.

of course the laws could be different in Portugal but at one time all part of the EU, so shouldn't be.

Depends whether your MOT will be like the UK MOT which is fairly light, or the German TUV test, which very much isn't.

in the UK, a tester's manual is available on the government website

have you read the local equivalent?

As cookie has said, the standards vary depending on the country and I imagine the basis of the rumours about tight regulations is from people quoting what happens in Germany.

The Topbox thing sounds like a crock of shit. Even the Germans allow topboxes!

If its anything like spain, any accessories must be homologated and included on the bike paperwork. Bike height, weight, length must match the certificate of conformity. As long as the carrier doesn't project past the rear of the bike then should be OK. Certainly take the box off. Aux lights, fit quick release connectors to the wiring and take them off. It's a pain but mot/itv test is every 2 years.

Top boxes are the devils creation, they should be burnt or crushed ;)

Any bike with a top box should be crushed and the owner crucifixed in the main square.

And not at the MOT, I think it is fair to leave this to the common people on the streets...

I'm sure a lot of it is BS but can you tell me how is it in your country?

On a more serious note: are you trying to dispel rumors with other rumors from a forum?
Do what Wessie, rightly so, suggest. Only way to know.

Each country is very different. I can tell you that I see some shit on two wheels going through MOT in Englands... no Italia would ever dream to subject to the "revisione" (every 3 years).
I used to put back my entire exhaust (pipes and silencer) before it... :D

On an even more serious note: no topboxes.

I can't find any details yet. I only hear what people talk and that is why I was asking how is the MOT in your country.
I can remove AUX lights. I have two pairs. One pair serves as DRL and the other pair is on with high beam. Just have to buy waterproof connectors, solder them and that's it. I only hate the idea of adjusting them again. But as you say, it's only every two years.
Topbox carrier is not longer then the bike, I hope. I'll have to check that.

What the UK does or doesn’t check in an MOT test for a motorcycle, is about as relevant to Portugal as knitting is to deep sea fishing and brass rubbing.

PS The forum has its very own expert on all things Portuguese. He’s newly arrived but he knows the lot, helped as he refuses to fill in any forms….. apparently.

Doesn’t speak the local lingo, so for sure in-depth knowledge of all things :)

PS The forum has its very own expert on all things Portuguese. He’s newly arrived but he knows the lot, helped as he refuses to fill in any forms….. apparently.

Some say……………………………………………………….

It’s the Att!

France has no technical inspection on bikes either, I won't call it an MOT as that is a British test. They have been threatening to bring one in for a number of years but it will be very expensive as our testing places are just that, government run CT (Control Technique) places. There are no garages that can do them, that would be a conflict of interest. To set up a bike one would involve loads of equipment that could not be fitted into the car CT centres as they are full of car brake testers, lifts and computer stuff.
Car CTs are required when the car is 4 years old and then every 2 years after that.
I cannot see France introducing Bike CTs in the next 10 years.

Any bike with a top box should be crushed and the owner crucifixed in the main square.

And not at the MOT, I think it is fair to leave this to the common people on the streets...

On a more serious note: are you trying to dispel rumors with other rumors from a forum?
Do what Wessie, rightly so, suggest. Only way to know.

Each country is very different. I can tell you that I see some shit on two wheels going through MOT in Englands... no Italia would ever dream to subject to the "revisione" (every 3 years).
I used to put back my entire exhaust (pipes and silencer) before it... :D

On an even more serious note: no topboxes.

Speaking as a confirmed pleb, I can vouch that you are a lucky man if you have no need of a top-box.

.....but please can you start crushing the Honda Goldwings, BMW K1600GTL and all Harleys with integrated topboxes and leave me alone until I become too old to ride. :beerjug:

There is no emission testing for motorcycles in Gib definitely, so decat headers rule... :D. and I believe Spain is the same.

Back
Top Bottom