R1250GS Rattling noise

This was Sept 22, so the tech guy will have probably well forgotten my bike by now.

The warranty report states coating on cams has worn away.
Components replaced
RH inlet cam x 1, RH exhaust cam x 1, LH inlet cam x 1, LH exhaust cam x 1, rocker arms x 8 and friction plate x 4
That was the similar report I had with the 15 plate before the new cam sprocket sheared....after 8 miles after fixing.

That was the similar report I had with the 15 plate before the new cam sprocket sheared....after 8 miles after fixing.
Bit of luck, that was a one off!

Here’s a video of mine, which I took before it went in for its 6000 mile service. When static revving or riding, the noise would rise in sync with the revs, just as you would normally get with cam wear or excessive tappet clearance. This is quite a different sound to a slack cam chain.

To me, the right hand side sounded normal, it was just the left side I was concerned about. However, when the tech took the rocker cover off, that side had worn cam coating as well.

The weirded thing is, the dealer had all the parts on the shelf, which suggests a known issue. I dropped the bike off for its service at 08:30 and they called me to say it was ready for collection at around 13:00. In this time, they also fitted a new drive shaft and vent bung as well.

Here’s a video of mine, which I took before it went in for its 6000 mile service. When static revving or riding, the noise would rise in sync with the revs, just as you would normally get with cam wear or excessive tappet clearance. This is quite a different sound to a slack cam chain.

To me, the right hand side sounded normal, it was just the left side I was concerned about. However, when the tech took the rocker cover off, that side had worn cam coating as well.

The weirded thing is, the dealer had all the parts on the shelf, which suggests a known issue. I dropped the bike off for its service at 08:30 and they called me to say it was ready for collection at around 13:00. In this time, they also fitted a new drive shaft and vent bung as well.

Mine does not rattle at tick over only when reved up or as the shift cam kicks in after 5000 it’s hard to hear but the transition is around 5000 after that it’s hard to discern.

You have a completely different issue. Please read the first post of this thread.

Mine does not rattle at tick over only when reved up or as the shift cam kicks in after 5000 it’s hard to hear but the transition is around 5000 after that it’s hard to discern.
Do you hear this sound?

Do you hear this sound?
To me, that sounds like something lose on the bike, not engine internals. Have you checked the gear shift lever pivot for play? Mine rattles a bit at that point, unless I pack it well with grease.

Last edited:
Yep similar to that , enough for me to get it recovered. It was not normal . Will know more over the next few days .My last 1250 was relatively quiet, not like this Friday build .
Hello. Any update?

Yes , waiting for the fix from BMW , so far the inlet cam lobes show signs of wear so would expect a faulty coating . They are checking the cam end float as well . So the result will be new cam and maybe cam sprocket , rebuild and re check the rattle . Fingers crossed .

As I understand it, the cam shifts are dependant on throttle position & load, it isn't rev specific hydraulics like say a VFR. The change from the low load, low lift cam, to the high lift profile is controlled electronically using a solenoid.

I was wondering if the noise is accompanied by any deficiency in power output, if say the solenoid was failing to shift cleanly to the high lift cam profile. Maybe you could try riding a 1250 that is running properly, back to back with yours if you are uncertain?
Yes they are but also activate at 5000 RPM I believe

Yes they are but also activate at 5000 RPM I believe
According bmw engineers that designed the shiftcam, solenoids move the cams when the algorithm sees that needs power. The system always changes before 6000rpm. The lower limit is not standard because depends from the load of the bike and the road if it is uphill etc.

Gooooooood news!!!!!!!!!

Finally I found the solution.

The bike was out of time. I just made a cam alignment with Bmw special tools and everything is as new. Most probably they made a mistake at the first valve clearance or the timing is going out when kms are passing due to insufficient tightening of the bolts of cam gears.

Anyway I bought the cam timing tools after many months of searching and did it myself. Bike runs great and mysterious sounds just disappeared. So the conclusion is because of wrong timing, the shiftcam motor tried to move inlet cams at wrong point, not at correct TDC, that's why sometimes together with noise was also a lag at acceleration.

Gooooooood news!!!!!!!!!

The bike was out of time. I just made a cam alignment with Bmw special tools and everything is as new. Most probably they made a mistake at the first valve clearance or the timing is going out when kms are passing due to insufficient tightening of the bolts of cam gears.

Anyway I bought the cam timing tools after many months of searching and did it myself. Bike runs great and mysterious sounds just disappeared. So the conclusion is because of wrong timing, the shiftcam motor tried to move inlet cams at wrong point, not at correct TDC, that's why sometimes together with noise was also a lag at acceleration.
Excellent result.How much and from where did you purchase the tools? Or is it worth a trip to Greece in spring? 😁

Excellent result.How much and from where did you purchase the tools? Or is it worth a trip to Greece in spring? 😁
I purchased tools from Bmw but after manay months of searching and waiting. I just was lucky. You cannot find anymore. They stopped production. You can ask your dealer to do it. Tools cost around 500 euros to have. I have created many of them at my job and bought only 2 tools.

Gooooooood news!!!!!!!!!

Good news, i have been waiting for the results here. I have the exact same noise on mine. Had it in at a BMW Motorrad workshop, nothing wrong they said even though the mechanic said he clearly heard the noise when he tested it... So no need for me either to order a clutch spring set, just order a tool for timing the cam gears.?

Should have my 1250 back in the next week and so far Cam changed along with a gear , still rattles , next step is to change the complete head , cams /valves/shiftcam etc as a whole unit as BM want the whole assembly for test.

I purchased tools from Bmw but after manay months of searching and waiting. I just was lucky. You cannot find anymore. They stopped production. You can ask your dealer to do it. Tools cost around 500 euros to have. I have created many of them at my job and bought only 2 tools.
Which tools did you use? Not only cam alignment tool, but also cam chain tensioner and looking bolt? Do you have some pictures of them

Which tools did you use? Not only cam alignment tool, but also cam chain tensioner and looking bolt? Do you have some pictures of them
Hello. You will need for sure cam alignment jigs, cam chain tensioner tool, and crankshaft locking tool. Check them here

i picked up 19 plate 1250 in sept 23 found a rattling sound which i thought sounded metallic, found cause 2 days ago it is coming from inside the left mirror, might be a long shot but try knocking both mirrors

Back
Top Bottom