Reg/Rec wiring

SuperTed

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having had some issues getting to a bike show the bike stopped and won’t restart. Advice from trusted mate and ace bike mechanic is to change the regulator/rectifier. The unit itself is easily accessible but where does it plug into the system? As far as I can see the plugs are behind the small black side panel, but it’s a small space.
Any advice on a) confirming that I’m looking in the right place, and b) how to access the plugs will be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Hey,

If it suddenly turned off I don't think the rr would cause that. If the RR is faulty unless it burned your bike would behave differently but (correct me if I'm wrong) it's unlikely it'll completely turn off and not start again.

Does the bike itself turn on but not turn over?

If that's the case you could check your sidestand switch. If it turned of and turning the ignition doesn't do anything maybe your battery might be flat ( apologies if I'm staying the obvious)

If you want to check the RR you can take off that black panel and with a multimeter do the following tests:

Yannick

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Tell us more - what exactly happened? 'Some issues' on the outward journey it seems, but what does that mean?

Does the dash light up, the starter engage/turn the engine, the fuel pump prime?

As @__YANNICK__ says, the Reg/Rec seems unlikely to be the immediate problem. Yes, it could lead to the bike failing to charge/maintain the battery, but it shouldn't directly impede starting if the battery is sound.

Probably not particularly helpful for your issues, but after reading about lots of issues on early model stators, I recently replaced my stator and reg/rec. Not particularly expensive in the whole scheme of things (aftermarket). Old stator looked very black compared to the new.

Okay, a bit more detail: the speedo needle dropped to near zero and bounced back up; then the speedo and rev counter dropped to zero and the computer screen went blank, after a couple of seconds it all came back. Did not affect the running of the bike at speed. Did this (all instruments going blank for a couple of seconds then coming back on) around half a dozen times in approximately 20 miles. Did not affect engine running. Arrived at my destination and as I stopped the engine died. It would not restart. With the ignition turned on the starter just went: click, click, click. Breakdown service mechanic checked the battery and it wasn’t fully charged, started the bike with his booster box and checked the charging. The battery was only getting 10 volts.
As I said a trusted bike tech and good mate said to start with the reg/rec. I have a replacement, new, unit. So am I looking in the right place for the connections and what is the easiest access to them?

Nice to have some meat on the bone OP.

Whilst I hope you haven't wasted your money, this sounds more like the Stator to me - before you get the spanners out, have you checked the alternator's AC output? The basic checks have already been detailed in the link in post #2 above?

Otherwise, if you remove the 2 R/R bolts & unclip the wiring, follow it north & IIRC it makes off in a connector under the small triangular panel.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom