Remote key not in range

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone else get this message when key is in their pocket?

It first started on partners f850 after she started wearing her heated jacket. She continued to get the message on her new r1250.

I also bought a heated jacket and subsequently started to get the message on screen on my own bike too.

So we naturally assumed the Keiss heated jacket was interfering with the keys in some way. However, I went out yesterday without my heated jackets on and still got the message.

Another problem I have started to get with my r1250 is that I'm getting a fast flashing red light when trying to start the bike - or rather when I turn it on at the button before attempting to start. I often have to give it 5 minutes as though bike needs to reset then on button press it turns on and fires up

Anyone got thoughts on any of this?

The flashing red light is also a sign the bike is not seeing the key.

Better batteries!
Had issues with cheapo battery not lasting long not worth using

Heated jackets wiring can create a faraday cage effect and possibly the battery not powering signal strongly enough

Better batteries!
Had issues with cheapo battery not lasting long not worth using

Heated jackets wiring can create a faraday cage effect and possibly the battery not powering signal strongly enough

Batteries changed by Cotswold Motorrad. They don't do anything cheap! And don'ty bank account know it 😂 Although iirc they were both changed at same time so I guess could have been a bad batch.

Faraday cage was my thinking too. Until yesterday when I wasn't wearing it.

Bike normally tells you if the battery is getting low. Had it happen on my previous GS. Replaced battery with brand new Duracell, flagged up warning again in a couple of days, swapped with other battery in the packet , did it again. Bought energiser battery, never had another issue.

Keyless systems work at radio frequencies used by loads of other things such as WiFi- try using the key to restart when out in the middle of nowhere and if it’s better that’s your answer. If the frequencies are overlapping then they’re essentially competing. If it’s the same delay/ range loss when you’re away from it all….keep looking and good luck..!

Had exactly that problem with my Keis jacket. Solved by keeping keep in rhs pocket ie side away from the cables. Never saw the message again.

Barry

Does anyone else get this message when key is in their pocket?

It first started on partners f850 after she started wearing her heated jacket. She continued to get the message on her new r1250.

I also bought a heated jacket and subsequently started to get the message on screen on my own bike too.

So we naturally assumed the Keiss heated jacket was interfering with the keys in some way. However, I went out yesterday without my heated jackets on and still got the message.

Another problem I have started to get with my r1250 is that I'm getting a fast flashing red light when trying to start the bike - or rather when I turn it on at the button before attempting to start. I often have to give it 5 minutes as though bike needs to reset then on button press it turns on and fires up

Anyone got thoughts on any of this?
I found that if my key is anywhere near my mobile phone I get that message, particularly if I have them both in a tank bag, as soon as I separate them the message goes away.

Check out the other thread on batteries and keyless. In a majority of cases, it's likely down to poor quality batteries. Stick with Varta or Panasonic as their QC procedures during manufacture mean far fewer leaky batteries hitting the market. Avoid cheap Amazon specials and Duracell which are Chinese made and do not have the same voltage drop/leakage issues.

Back
Top Bottom