1250 GSA can't find key - BMW frustrating

Oxymoronracing

Reaction score
I continually get the 'key not range' message. BMW dealer has run diagnostics, changed the battery three times and now it has to go in again....once they've spoken to BMW HQ. Going on a long trip soon and currently have zero confidence in the bike. With previous main battery failure problems I'm beginning to wonder if the move from KTM was worth it - never had any problems despite what all the social media says. No one at the dealers seems to really care ... just lots of sucking through their teeth! Rant over.

A bit of a long shot, but try a different make of battery. I had problems with Duracell batteries in the fob for my Skoda which has keyless. I swapped to Panasonic and have had not had any problems since
second time im agreeing with Littleade today!
Had issues with duracell battery on my previous GS, Bought Enigizer and it was fine.

second time im agreeing with Littleade today!
Had issues with duracell battery on my previous GS, Bought Enigizer and it was fine.
IIRC Monimoto advised not to use Duracell batteries as the tracker couldn't tell how good/discharged the batteries were. This ended up with your tracker not working with no warning. I use energizers in the Monimoto now instead.

IIRC Monimoto advised not to use Duracell batteries as the tracker couldn't tell how good/discharged the batteries were. This ended up with your tracker not working with no warning. I use energizers in the Monimoto now instead.
Now thats interesting. What i had was my bike flashed up a warning that original battery was down to 25%. So i cahnged it foa Duracell, all ok, couple of rides and got the low warning again, thought maybe duff battery, swapped for another Duracell, same again. This time i was miles from home and a little twitchy. Stopped at a Halfords and got the Energizer. Maybe it couldnt tell life like Monimoto?

However, to be fair OP is not in range which isnt the same as i had.

What robbo says.
I have them in the fob and Monimoto.

A bit of a long shot, but try a different make of battery. I had problems with Duracell batteries in the fob for my Skoda which has keyless. I swapped to Panasonic and have had not had any problems since
As per everyone else - I found Duracell button batteries totally crap in a number of things. Panasonic or Varta do seem to be better.

Put a thick piece of card between the battery and the back case

(obs dont cover the contact terminals ) it stops the battery moving and making / breaking contact

It could be a duff fob, (electronics dont last forever unfortunately)

Interesting about Duracell batteries as I have been having issues with brand new batteries whinging about 50% after 3/4 starts

Will buy some varta

I am having this with my brand new 1250 GSA !

I am minded to swop the battery out to see if it sorts it.

Keith

I have had this with KTM key, much better life with VARTA.
There is an proximity antenna on the KTM which lets the key talk to the bike even if the fob battery is flat, I guess similar on GS?

I continually get the 'key not range' message. BMW dealer has run diagnostics, changed the battery three times and now it has to go in again....once they've spoken to BMW HQ. Going on a long trip soon and currently have zero confidence in the bike. With previous main battery failure problems I'm beginning to wonder if the move from KTM was worth it - never had any problems despite what all the social media says. No one at the dealers seems to really care ... just lots of sucking through their teeth! Rant over.
NOG ?

I’ve had it lots of times and figured out what caused it x2.

1. Needs to be the exact oem fob battery.
2. Get it if I keep the key near my heated vest controller.

Barry

I agree with try different batteries.

Duracell do work in mine but last about 3-4 Month at the most.
i found that other makes last longer, which is ironic because i bought Duracell for exactly that!

Likewise, had the same issue with Duracell cells despite being well in date (tried three now, same issue). Just gone over to Energiser. So far so good.

on todays ride kept the key in the tank cubby hole thing , warning all the time . Stuck key in jacket issue went away !

Back
Top Bottom