Removal of centre stand 1150 GS (2000 model)

Morpheus

Reaction score
Hi, Quick question for all the garage dwellers, spanner wielders and the collective hive mind: -

I cant find the specifics any where in the Haynes manual, or online here or else where.
When removing the 1150 gcentre stand - after all bolts are out including belly pan and the bolts that hold the brackets to the frame, should the centre stand simply slide off (downwards away from the bike) or are the bushings stepped?

How does one remove the bushings, in order to drop both stand and bracket completely clear of the machine on both sides?

The bike is currently held up by 4 ratchet straps attached totes roof of the garage as my side stand bracket snapped so im removing the whole assembly for refurb and fitting a new GSA stand with bracket.

Currently having a cuppa and scratching head - any help (and pictures) would be greatly appreciated .. ta muchly.

Morph.

Thats fair, unless the point of the job is to replace a broken one (cos ya side stand bracket snapped) - which is what im doing here. #grins

Figured the blushing are held in by a ten mm Allen key behind the teensy bolts - so all good,
however im now at the point of figuring out how to remove the big ass spring cos it obvs putting tension on that side of the bushing (offside, starboard, right when sat on bike)

Honestly you'd think someone would invent a tool for extending springs - shoulda done the penny tick before I took the bike off the stand but hey ho .. worst case .. grinder 101 and new spring.
on the other hand - drum brake retaining spring tool is thing so I'm told.

You take the spring off at the top end. That’s why there is a slot in the hanger so you can lever it off the top peg.

Refitting is the reverse.

Additionally the carrier plates bolted to the Engine casing are loctite on with 2701. Which is tough stuff and without heat to soften the loctite you are likely to either knacker the fastener or the engine casing threads.

It all off, the spring came off clean in the end, from the top. Oddly some of the bolts were quite loose in the first instance, particularly on the side stand bracket.
All bolts just came off with a standard 3/8th box Ratchet - no major profanity lubriaction needed, (except when I lost the ratchet briefly) the old loctite is well past its best .. and is just white paste in the thread that cleaned out with releasing spray.

Also oddly the GSA side stand and bracket I've bought asa fix has an extra threaded bracket on it below the rear section, 90 degrees bend in so something would screw in vertically from the bottom when fitted to the bike.

There's nothing there for that to mount to on mine and its too far over for the sump guard and belly pan?

anyone with a stock 2000 1150 GSA got similar bracket or is this a previous owner addition?

The GS and GSA fittings are not the same.

The sump guards are different,
The side stands are different (longer on GSA)
Main stand are different (longer on GSA)
The crash bars and fittings are different.
I’m sure there are other differences in that area, go look at the parts diagrams At RealOEM.com

:nenau

Most interesting!

so what is it that bolts to the bottom ofthe GSA brackets? (it seems from the diagrams there's a mounting point on the other side too.. !)

one assumes the GSA figment sump guard?

Back
Top Bottom