Round 2: Another European Sortie

Cracking write up and piccies again Roberto - thanks for sharing!

another 20 mins well spent,keep it up roberto:friday

Looks like a great trip ... keep it all coming.

Thanks kindly..! :thumb

All those empty roads - Had to cross Norfolk on the A47 today, traffic nightmare, bumper to bumper!

Fantastic write up Rob, look forward to the daily edition.

Cheers indeed doc.. and no Acle straight to be seen here ;)

Sardinia looks feckin amazing:beer:

Yup, can't give it high praise enough. Would definitely be worth the effort getting here :thumb

Ohhh, must get down to Sardinia one of these days. Looks lovely. Corsica is a stunning place too, you can look over to Sardinia from the stunning little town of Bonfacio, which will be your port of entry into Corsica I reckon. The inland parts of Corsica are stunning too with dozens of gorgeous wee roads, leading up to Corte.
Enjoy :D

Rob

Thanks Rob. Bonifacio it was indeed. Beautiful. And the roads to Corte, well :drool:drool :bow

I'm going off you Rob:D

Sorry :comfort

:D

:beerjug:

Olbia to Aleria

Good morning, fellow ramblers.

The first thing to do today is say a very big thank you to a particular fellow GSer who offered to lend me his Zumo for the next Ramble given my home pit-stop will be so short and I wouldn't have time to get the thing back to Garmin for a repair. I should add I don't know this person.. Other than a name I recognise from being around and about the site for a few years now. I really, really wholeheartedly appreciate the very kind offer.. this place eh?!

:beerjug:

And it looks like I'm sorted on the replacement front too, fingers crossed all goes to plan.

OK.

Of course last night was all very pleasant and all that. Lovely big hotel room, fluffy towels, swimming pool and all that malarkey, but the place had as much personality as a peanut. I had dinner, which was fine, a spinach and racotta ravioli during which it occurred to me that to spend more than a day here, let alone week or more at a place like this, well it would drive me totally off my bloody head. Fluffy towels only get you so far. Mind, they probably look at a sweaty smelly lunatic on a noisy bike with some incredulity. Diff'rent folks and all that I s'pose..

The one upside was there was a huge bath, so I could wash my heavy jeans properly. After the honking that I encountered on the ferry in I couldn't help but think that it was long overdue. To give you a sense of how warm it is and was last night, After washing I just flung them over the railing on the balcony without attempting to dry them at all, and by 10am this morning they were totally dry.

Corsica seemed a bit confusing to me. Last night I had a quick nose on the web to look at accommodation; camping seemed perilously expensive at high season from what I could glean, and hotel accommodation started at £70 for something that wasn't rated well. Hmm. Well, we'll play it by ear and see what goes.

The run up to catch the ferry had nothing special to remark upon. There were a few trademark nuisance Italian hamster endowed drivers on the main road, but in Italy its just something you come to expect, so no drama.

About an hours run sees me to Santa Teresa Gallura, home of the ferry to Bonifacio. A good cappucino in the harbour prior queuing for the ferry and then off we go.

Ah, Moby..

7853234538_b5275f7960_c.jpg

I meet an Italian Gser and his charming daughter. We chat sort of, with help of a V-Max rider who does a bit of translation. He's on a 1100GS just knocking up to 100k (km's though). He'd had a low speed spill and his arm was bound up and covered in blood. Riding in shirt sleeves is cool (I've done it enough lately, TBH) but not pretty when it goes wrong. He said, 'this was done only at 5km/h'. Gulp.

7853232370_3f81da7361_c.jpg

Ferry embarkation is fine. The little Moby man ties up the bike well and we're up to the salon. I'm joined by the Italians, they ask if they can join me and we have more chat, decoded by the gents 16 year old daughter who has stunning English, I tell her this and she's so happy 'My friends call me a nerd' she says 'you make me so happy as I try so hard'. Her father is really proud too. There's no need to exaggerate, her English really is first class. They live in Genoa, he is originally Sardo, or Sardinian, and every year they head back to the motherland. 'Do you like riding pillion' I ask the daughter 'But of course!' she says. She has had here own scooter since she was 15, that's how it is. I forget. Different places, different rules.
We have a good chat; they are really good company. The 50 minute crossing seems over in minutes. I rue not getting a photo of her, but when I look again at the photo of dad above, there she is smiling in the background on the left. Splendid!

The entry in to Bonifacio, is as Franco earlier eluded, is something quite different. Remarkable cliffs on the way in to port, and then a very pretty harbour indeed with a castle set up high. Sadly, I miss most of the journey in, or only see it with my nose pressed through the little window of the ferry as I promised to keep an eye on the bags of an American couple who'd asked me if I wouldn't mind. I thought they'd only be gone a few minutes when we'd boarded, but I'm still hanging around long after the Italian GSer and his daughter had said their goodbyes and gone back down to the vehicle deck to saddle up. Finally they jovially yomp back in oblivious to my good actions of good conscience. I should have just said balls to it; I'm reminded of the Not the Nine O'Clock News 'Why is it when somebody does something good they are the ones that get hurt' sketch *3
Still, my stoic commitment to what is just and right struck a good note with the Italians, so here I am at least forging ahead for Britain's reputation at the cost of some nice snaps.

Eventually I ride off the ferry and pull up 100 yards or so further on to farkle with me bits and bobs and replace my pathetic floppy hat with a hard traditional motorcycle one.

7853230670_db5308ce0b_c.jpg

I'm approached yet again by this American, who asks me, a British guy, a thousand miles from home, in another country and on a Mediterranean Island, if 'I know where the Europcar agency is?' This is almost my Jasper Carrott 'Ah, you're English.. Do you know Bob from Stoke?' American encounter, for anyone who remembers that *4 :D Stuff my old boots.

I tell him no, but lo.. a simple READING OF THE BOOKING CONFIRMATION (who'd have thought?) tells me that the agency at an Esso Station in town, to which then, by flagging down a port official and asking him politely AGAIN WHAT ARE THE CHANCES generates a warm response and the diligent seeking of a taxi. How an earth did this bloke make it this far, I'll be damned.

Onwards; I pop into the harbour place. It's enormously busy and there are lots of bikes stacked everywhere. In fact, the parking people are writing little love notes to the bike owners, just like the one on this RT..

7853236718_9aff033862_c.jpg

I dwell for a few minutes, decide it's not worth the faff for a decent photo, and anyway it's 4pm now, and I still have a couple of hours riding to do if I want to see some wobbly bits and make my way mid-Isle. As I'm making my way out of town, a door is flung open from a taxi generating a swift stop manouever. And who's head exactly popped out with an idiotic grin? You guessed it, yes, none other than our American friend. Now, please don't take this the wrong way old chap, but be a good sort and piss off out of my holiday, won't you? :D

I head into Ponto Vecchio and then work out there's a road that will take me up. I have a look round, and resist several amusing sign photo opportunities, including a chuckle worthy 'Piles' until I see the hotel for the 'Hotel Le Tilbury'. I feel like going in and asking have you ever been to Tilbury? It is 'Le Shithouse' for goodness sake.

7853302850_1773de060f_c.jpg

The going on the road is nice; civilised. People are more considerate and less aggressive. Cars allow me to pass. The France influence is showing dearly. And soon enough, I'm given this massive clue too.. Toto, I don't think I'm in Italia anymore..

7853271402_bdb83d98a9_c.jpg

I head out to pick up the road up into the mountains. About 15 minutes in I get the pressing urge to have a whizz and so limp on for a bit until I can find a spot. When I find said slot, I realise that isn't the issue, and am suffering with bad stomach cramps for some reason. Odd. Perhaps I copped a dodgy egg this morning; but I don't feel right at all. I take a tablet and carry on, but I think that tent again may be a bad idea, so using some mobile phone data I recheck booking.com and find a hotel for a favourable £35, which stands out on its own from the expensive accommodation on the island. I have no idea what it is like, but don't care, as long as it has a bog and a light switch, I'll sleep standing up.

7853276254_d480d00b6f_c.jpg

Well let's talk roads and scenery. I thought it would be hard to beat Sardinia, but Corsica is giving it a good run..

Looking down to Ponto Vecchio. Yes, I think we're about level with that cloud..

7853273986_67b756d8e0_c.jpg

The town of L'Ospidale, which lives on a series of hairpins in the mountain. Quite odd to run from mountain ascent hairpins, into town hairpins and out again in the same run of road..

7853301604_12b8b4f315_c.jpg

At the top of the climb a mostly dried lake and where it looks as though they've managed some deforestation. Nice place for a play on an ATV no doubt.

7853272648_1a7ae03b5b_c.jpg

Gorgeous..

7853331410_d725d1a151_c.jpg

A stop in Zonza, a very pretty place it is too. Stickers sourced.

7853300356_80d6c274c7_c.jpg

Magical roads... .

7853304148_60168f6c0a_c.jpg

.. And quite magical scenes..

7853330134_053957b04c_c.jpg

Amazing geology.. what a landscape..

7853328530_ab3d9ee010_c.jpg

And..

7853327320_12a67b3db4_c.jpg

Amidst fabulous lush greenery..

7853335840_db0f0a8ef4_c.jpg

Beware of the roadside woodpiglets..

7853334676_2af3b267dd_c.jpg

Need I say more..?

7853332716_258526330c_c.jpg

To give you an idea of how slowly I ride to take in the views at the top- The partially functioning Zumo adds 45 minutes on to the arrival time with my pootling about, taking in the views. But it is a place to dwell. You're probably getting fed up with me writing how great the scenery is and the roads are, and I can only count myself extremely fortunate to get so much great riding and spectacular views. Wait a minute: last time I wrote something like that I stubbed my toe and got an insect in my eye. Hmm.

But Corsica is just dreamy, and I have another night here before another late overnight ferry North. Yes!

A run in along the fast and relatively straight coastal road meant I could get a wiggle on to the hotel. I had done so much bimbling that I got quite carried away on the way in, and I look down and I'm doing 90mph. Ooh.. better wind down.

I get to the hotel; It's quite liberating to have some language at last again. Every Italian phrase I learned seemed to drop right out the other side of my head. The girl at reception doesn't have any English but I do perfectly well and it’s a great feeling. Also, there's a real warmth and patience for my trying with the language. Nice little place, too.

I have dinner at the brasserie of the hotel; there's a lovely young waitress who has a few more English words, and is very jovial and again receptive to my GCSE French. We have some laughs and it’s a pleasant evening. I have a Burger which is just the ticket, two local Corsican beers (they've taken the glass now but I think it's called Sandra?); half a litre of Rose which is most agreeable. When I asked for dessert, the girl serving me said 'I am dessert' with a cheeky smile. I almost pissed my frillies.
Sadly, dessert is ultimately chosen as the crepe special of the house, which turns out to be filled with cottage cheese and served with rum and raisin ice Cream. If I felt I was struggling earlier, well, tonight is going to be the test of all tests. Immodium ahoy, yarr.

Ooops, excuse my lapse in concentration, a man just rode past on a Honda sending a text message.

So that'll be all for today. A very, very special day amongst grand days indeed. One happy GSer..

7853333692_fc97c58a5f_c.jpg

Now, I know there's a chappy who resides in this parish who goes by the name of 'Corsican Dreamer'. Well, chummy, the games up mate. I know what you're dreaming of, and I know exactly why you're dreaming of it. Amazing.

*3 Unfortunately no YooChoob for the 'do gooder' Not the Nine O'Clock News Sketch, so have the superb 'Gerald the Gorilla' instead :D
*4 I can't find any reference to that particular Jasper Carrott skit on the web, so if anyone remembers it, be a mate and bail me out will ya? :p

I remember when the BBC use to show some of the World Rally Championship from the region.
The roads looked fantastic even then, your photos just go on to show how good the place is on a bike.

Enjoy, you lucky basta*d :beerjug:

And whis blog will be a brilliant reminder when it has all finished (not for a long time I hope!!!!) :D

LAMPF

Fantastic report Roberto, you are one very lucky man.

I may have missed it, so apologies if I'm being dumb here, but can't you buy a headlight bulb from a service station? LAMPF would start to frustrate me after a while...!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip... Keep posting, great photos and very entertaining and humorous write-ups.

:thumb2

:)

Glad you enjoyed Corsica, it's a very special place. Traffic didn't look that bad for August. I've only ever been in June or September/October time, and it's gorgeous then.:cool:
Weather looks grand there too, forecast here today is for thunderstorms, which we're looking forward to as it hasn't rained since mid June :D
Bon voyage..

Rob

Cheers all :thumb2

I remember when the BBC use to show some of the World Rally Championship from the region.
The roads looked fantastic even then, your photos just go on to show how good the place is on a bike.

Funny, I remembered that last night and was going to mention it on the write up but forgot in the end. Epic place indeed, must be great to do it in a rally car.

... I may have missed it, so apologies if I'm being dumb here, but can't you buy a headlight bulb from a service station? LAMPF would start to frustrate me after a while...!

If only bud. Tried two different bulbs now and multiple fiddlings about :mad: Still, at least I've got the GSA fairy lights ;)

Glad you enjoyed Corsica, it's a very special place. Traffic didn't look that bad for August. I've only ever been in June or September/October time, and it's gorgeous then.:cool:
Weather looks grand there too, forecast here today is for thunderstorms, which we're looking forward to as it hasn't rained since mid June :D

Agreed Rob, it is a special place indeed. Traffic is very heavy on the main road here where the hotel is but up in the passes it was no problem at all :thumb

Right then, that's me off for a ride :JB

Ta gents :thumb2

Mike- was using a Sony DSC-TX1 earlier in the trip, but I lost the USB card adapter thing, so now I'm just using a humble Sony Ericsson W995 Camera Phone.. it does alright though, pleased with the results :thumb2

Corsica

Last night I sailed the seven seas of tummy trouble, the only upside of which being I could see being namely that its good to be a long way from the plumbing of Montenegro. Much of the small hours were spent on the throne and inbetween that time watching BBC World News in the foetal postion. If I were to organise musical accompaniment to last nights' activities Johnny Cash's 'Ring of Fire' would be highly appropriate. So anyway, I figured it would probably be a prudent idea to stay put to see how I was doing. In the morning I did just that and re-booked for another night. Not a hardship; the hotel is such an agreeable little place.

...I've been very lucky.. :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:beerjug:

Well that'll be all three then, so let that be an end to it.

Happily I'm feeling a fair bit better in the morning.

The hotel lies on the main road from Bastia in the North, down to Ponto Vecchio. In opposition to the TripAdvisor frustration of 'Anonymous from Cheltenham' that it is 'Noisy' I find the passing of the holiday traffic from the breakfast terrace all very interesting, particularly with all of the different loaded up bikes that tootle through amongst packed to the brim estate cars and 4x4's towing very tasty motor boats.

Yes, we're definitely back in France. Breakfast is Bread and Jam with good coffee. I'm thinking that breakfast being what it is will be a very good thing indeed given my circumstances.

After breakfast I still feel a little bit ropey, so I return to my room to take shelter for a couple of hours.

After midday I surface and decide that its too good to miss going out for another ride. So I head out, and am glad I do. I do 160 miles of the finest riding. Corsica is in essence a Motorcyclists Theme Park. Have a go on the long sweeping fast roads. Bored with that? Tackle some wibbly technical stuff. Something else? Have some hilly fun. It's got it all, it really has. There are very few queues too. A veritable Tosser Disneyland.

My initial amble is out to Corte, where I stop for some refreshment. It is a great lowlands run, and I've removed most of the tat from the GS. I pretty much forgot how so much more lively and nimble it would feel without most of the stock room from Cotswold outdoor attached to it. So I indulge myself and spend some quality time in the 7-8k rev range (only bikers riding a boxer twin can say that with any credibility...)

Corte is a good place for a stop, with plenty of cafes to relax in.. and plenty to see..

7859050548_3d13bdaf8b_c.jpg

Now look here, I mean the bikes, not the filly in the pink top.

7859053296_5ded5f8503_c.jpg

Hah. I wouldn't want anyone touching my poupee either. Especially not after last night.

7859232524_6d31caf90b_c.jpg

Off again now, towards Ajaccio on the other side of the Island. Super climbs, great twisties, grand views..

7859056148_a1182d3214_c.jpg

7859047418_3e96a5c2d0_c.jpg

..interesting features..

7859044246_dfe2c74999_c.jpg

I don't like resorts, as you'll have gathered from previous dispatches. Now THIS is my kind of spa break..

7859110672_3edbfc8f19_c.jpg

Nothing beats looking around a continental shop. No jaffa cakes here though.

7859108372_bcbe0c4ff6_c.jpg

Corsican Beer though.. Mmmmm… Pietra (using Homer Simpson voice)

7859116254_7af76cd201_c.jpg

A notable absence of Jaffa cakes. I'm down to six now, and the amber the warning light is lit on the Instrument Panel :( And this island had so much promise...

Oh alright then.. I forgive you Corsica, fickle fool am I..

7859113714_ff7475aa0c_c.jpg

Finding more wibbly bits. I've discovered that using spray on sun-tan lotion, the clear stuff, helps the Zumo screen probem a bit, too :)

7859105606_08a52fb56d_c.jpg

C'est Magnifique..

7859095884_1f1a454c6c_c.jpg

Corsica is rapidly using up all of my Flickr allowance..

7859089752_8e18b14693_c.jpg

The Corsican Independents/Nationalists are here, and they've been to Halfords.

7859086370_58e675beb2_c.jpg

And then the mountainous sections simply disappear in a flash, like it was all a dream; Within 5 minutes of navigating precarious mountain roads I'm returned to flatlands and long straights; I could be on any D road in France. Strange, odd, wonderful.

7859119386_f0091f3fea_c.jpg

Jaffa cakes aside, are you getting the vibe I'm liking it here?

Anyhow, it is seriously humid here tonight, chances of thunderstorms on the Island so I understand. I'm back at the hotel to chance dinner. I'm sweating like Lance Armstrong on the way back from the chemists (that joke is dedicated to Decster) :D
Just a salad tonight I think would be the right thing. Here, tonight, Saturday night, it's all very different. They've closed the main road, and the locals are out walking the promenade that it has become.

And a footnote on the musical accompaniment from today. During the fun of cranking it up earlier I was listening to The Stranglers '5 Minutes' and 'Down in the Sewer' stood out to push on and wrestle the bike around to. Corkers they are.

Rolling along in the very twisty bits I listened to Darko Corazzo's 'Midnight Existence 004', closet elderly occasional House Music fan that I am..

Later, heading in mellow sounds prevailed.. such tracks as Air's 'All I need', Radiohead's 'Bullet Proof.. Wish I was'.. Souvlaki Space Station's 'Slowdive' and The Bluetones 'Putting Out Fires'.. All tracks I dearly love.

Forgive that particular pearl of self indulgence. Christ, I'm turning into Tony Blackburn.

Roberto,
What that thing on the left of your speedo, the thing with the chrome grill???

Glad to hear the Zumo's behaving :thumb2

Corsica.. miles and miles and miles and miles and miles of this and better..

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ofch0IKO_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D :clap :bow

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

no word or music needed , the bike made its own music :clap:clap:clap:clap

Corsica.. miles and miles and miles and miles and miles of this and better..

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ofch0IKO_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D :clap :bow

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Aleria to Bastia

A bit of an odd day. I'll elaborate on that later. Meantime here are some more images of this beautiful island. It'll be very, very sad to say goodbye tonight.

Back to the centre of the Island, heading North..

7866401362_99503ff269_c.jpg

7866398936_3d2e286fc9_c.jpg

7866376102_bc4fbaabe1_c.jpg

7866387650_51a1320a97_c.jpg

A sense of the remote is somewhat underlined when you find a Helicopter Pad on a hairpin bend..

7866370494_9ccf8dfc80_c.jpg

.. the roads in this part are incredibly tricky. It isn't that far to the 'lowlands' in terms of distance, but it can't be done with any great speed, I guess hence the helipad.

Unlike other regions in France where you see 'Route Difficle et Dangereuse' signs posted they don't bother here in this part. It's all like that :eek

7866391986_93871ea6cd_c.jpg

A little cheeky lunch..

7866414212_f2c59f8d09_c.jpg

The rocky northwest coast of the Islands, stark comparison to the flat cental eastern coast..

7866402726_b053e3a57d_c.jpg

7866403632_94eb40000e_c.jpg

7866405610_0657735c7f_c.jpg

7866406346_591382e2bf_c.jpg

7866409700_d7f5aeb6c6_c.jpg

Pretty tiny harbour.. The sea is kicking up a bit..

7866407698_da7b3127de_c.jpg

7866384678_f2f072848a_c.jpg

7866411932_6cb5fdb44d_c.jpg

7866413392_b34a942b3f_c.jpg

If I stopped to take a photo at every opportunity, I think I would have only covered ten miles today so far.

Wow :thumb

If I stopped to take a photo at every opportunity, I think I would have only covered ten miles today so far.

Wow :thumb

Wow indeed! Great pics and report keep it coming:clap

Corsica is among my favourite places I've ridden a bike, would like to go back at some point and maybe see a little of Sardinia too.

:thumb2 :D

Allez.. to Bastia.. Buongiorno Savona.. Part Deux/Due

Recapping on events- the day started with a leisurely get up and go. I used every minute of the midday checkout, given that my ferry to Italy doesn't leave until 23.55. So it'll be another look round to the North and to the West coast before making my way across and back to down Bastia for the for the Ferry to Savona.

I top up the bike and am back to the road. Instantly a VW T5 van appears at speed and follows inches from me. He's flashing, but I'm following a slow moving car and we're all hemmed in by a raised kerb dividing the centre of the road. We're still in the centre of town. I throw my arms up as if to say 'what do you expect me to do?' There's a lot gesturing, so I pull up, turn around and give him 'the eyes' (which is a pretty neat trick from beneath a sun visor). 'What do you want.. Tell me what you want?' I shout at him. He has a change of heart by the looks of it and offers me placating palms, no problemo style. But it's all just needless and stupid, and probably, maybe a reminder the Italian influence on Corsica. Or then again maybe its just some lemon in a hurry. I don't know. It's funny- I hardly ever have traffic altercations ever with anyone anywhere, but again its another strange turn of events in my trip, as I've eluded there have been some odd things go on, and my reactions haven't always been as I would have predicted. Bizarre.

The morning is spent in the Central part of the Island. No traffic, and I mean no traffic. Winding small roads with precarious drops and not much protection between the road and the abyss. Of course stunning scenery and beautiful vegetation; there's something very individual and unique about the place.

I have a very pleasant and leisurely lunch overlooking the lowlands to the East. I then head up the coast and across to the other West part of the Island. Again, amazing beauty and to rival anywhere I've been.

The traffic is more intense as I cross from the Bastia side to the West. There are more cars now, and a very strong warm wind has picked up from the sea. I'm bothered by an Audi driver who wants to get past at all costs so he approaches and overtakes on a blind bend. He misses an oncoming car by inches, skidding in to the storm drain and I'm sure doing some damage to his motor; bloody hell.

The west coast has similarities to a version of the Amalfi coast. In places the road hugs the cliff high up. There is a lot more traffic now too, culminating in a completely absurd traffic jam in the town of Nonza, where common sense has completely gone and everyone budges themselves into a gridlock along the tiny road with parked tourist traffic. I see a spot for the bike and leave it out of the way so I can get some water whilst they sort it out. Normally the organiser in me would attempt to intervene and help sort it all, but I just can’t get interested.
A van from the fire department rolls up with blue light flashing and making that retro 'Neee Nerr' siren noise that you'll have heard. It's still there five minutes later as this motley collection of dimwits try to untangle their auto puzzle. It was highly amusing to watch the people budge themselves in, I only hope whoever needed the fire truck didn't suffer because of the bizarre stupidity.

I head on and follow the Zumo on one of its now strange detours for a bit before I work out its taking me the nowhere and about a 10km detour to turn around. I get back on track and cross the narrow Northern tip of the island, or the 'Finger' as it was described to me.

It's still only 7.30pm. I've found a nice little cove some 17km North of Bastia; a pretty beach and a quay which I park the bike up with the locals doing a spot of fishing from fold up chairs and from the boots of their cars. The key is still in the ignition, As I'm unpacking my chair and my book, I notice that the red warning triangle starts flashing on the instruments. According to the TPS looks like the rear tyre is going down. Bother. I have a quick look over the wheel and tyre; I can't find anything obvious. Knowing from past experience that some slow punctures I've had don't lose pressure when you're moving and the tyre is warm I decide to have a tentative toddle along to see what happens. It holds up, and about 5km down the road there's a BP station where I fill up and then get to use the Air Line, which is free. The guy thinks I'm a loon for asking if its free, gratis. 'Oui, oui' he says looking at me oddly. I explain that in Angleterre it isn't at some places, and he thinks we're an odd lot... 'Charging pour l'air..? Surely non…'

I get the tyre pressures to normal and then head on. I go about 200 yards and there's a boat trailer just collapsed with the wheels splayed out. Not good. I figure it has just this moment happened and there's a lot of head scratching going on. I would have photographed it as it did look quite funny in one of those pictures-someone-randomly-emails-you-kind-of-way, but I didn't, after all, how would I like a picture of some frustrated fat brit on a loaded up bike with a puncture being pinged about. Karma that would be.

By the time I hit the port area everything seems and feels OK, aside from the oil indicator is now on. Hmm now, I fed the bike yesterday, so let's hope that isn't something else going on.

I decide to stop for dinner and taking a risk with my iffy constitution of late I have Moules and frites, which are just gorgeous.

The tyre still seems OK and pressure is seemingly holding. At least I've gotten to the port and can be on the Ferry and I'm back on the mainland with a few more options should the worst happen.

The ferry is a big bugger. A proper ship, and not a freight tub, which cooly and impressively slides in to dock sideways before an unloading free for all unfolds in front of us. It's reasonably civilised boarding though and soon enough I'm being hassled by some pocket sized greasy shoulder chip laden deck hand who wants me to take my right pannier off. I tell him calmly that, 'No, I am not doing that'. He keeps going past, up and down, telling me some shite in Italian, to which I tell him 'No parle Italiano'. Finally I just tell him 'Go away you silly little man' almost in the style of Basil Fawlty, not that he probably understood, just hope he doesn't do anything to my bike. Anyhow, looking along the bikes there are dozens of other laden bikes with luggage, and mine was tucked away as well or better than the many of the others, so god only knows what this tool was getting uppity about.

I get a cabin in the end and swallow a 52 Euro charge, being cautious- I'm wondering just what exactly will happen if discomfort comes in the night, with a kick like a Moule.

So its down to the bike again to get the power bits and a couple of other bobs as I'm living large. I'm showered, changed and all my gear is washed in twenty minutes and I'm soon in the bar. 4.60 Euros for a small bottle of beer, but on the upside it is that lovely Amber Corsican Pietra. I've a sudden thirst on so I'm living it up and throwing little blue 5 notes around like Robert Redford in the Casino. Fortunately there are no Demi Moores to indecently propose to, and even if there were I don't suppose they'd accept my excess Albanian Leke.

About an hour later there's not even a Brian Moore to propose to. The sea has gotten very choppy, it's really rocking and rolling on here and everyone has gone to bed, or hidden under stairwells in Sleeping bags.

And so to bed.

Overnight ferry, in that wind? Ooffff, hope it went well. :D Didn't realise it was an overnight ferry to Savona, I've only ever gone from Nice, though some friends went from Livorno which was much cheaper, even including the 4 hour drive from Nice :augie
Still enjoying this report though, keep it up. Note to self, get back to Corsica and check out Sardinia. Might have an out of season weekend over there....

Rob

Back
Top Bottom