Route idea 4-5days

longjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
me and three friends are off traveling in March, we are going via Santander down through Portugal and would like to go into Morocco for 4-5days, we would welcome some help on best route's whilst in Morocco which will allow us to see some of the nicer places in this short time without having to do too many miles per day.

All help and advise very much appreciated.

Merry Christmas

John

This is all dependant on what you and your mates are looking for because there's a lot to see in Morocco due to the changes in scenery as you move around. It also depends upon what mileages you're all prepared to do in a day without getting nicked for speeding upto the police check-points.

You could have a scan of THIS POST to get an idea for the lye of the land and where you might like to go. You can get quite far in a day's riding on the road.

I've taken a few tours around morocco for 5 days, fairly easy riding, no off road.

Day one fez. Day two Marrakesh. Day three Tinehir. Day four Meknes. A nice figure of eight route, with the usual Ait benhadou and the Todra and Dades gorges.

Lots to see inbetween towns and plenty of cheap hotels in the locations i've posted above.

Here's a ride report from one of the tours around the land of [URL="http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108660&highlight=skies"]Cerulean Skies and no Pubs[/URL]. :D
The daily morrocan mileages are around 200 miles or a bit less. Very comfortable distance as the roads are very good and you'll be able to stop for lunch and have a look around.

I've taken a few tours around morocco for 5 days, fairly easy riding, no off road.

Day one fez. Day two Marrakesh. Day three Tinehir. Day four Meknes. A nice figure of eight route, with the usual Ait benhadou and the Todra and Dades gorges.

Having been with Steptoe, I can give a thumbs up for this :thumb2

Depends if you and your friends want a
- road trip from one major town to another, travelling mostly on main roads, or
- more of a cultural immersion seeing smaller towns/villages and side roads.

Visiting Marrakech is excellent bragging rights in the pub, but with only 4-5 days in Morocco I would tend to not go much further down than the Midelt/Khenifra line.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply we would ideally like to see the smaller towns a taste of the real Morocco if that is possible in the time we have there, any routes would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply we would ideally like to see the smaller towns a taste of the real Morocco if that is possible in the time we have there, any routes would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

Which ports are you going to use, if you know? If landing at Tangier Med, or others around the northern tip, I'd suggest making your first overnight stop in Chefchaouen: It's a nice and safe place to start with plenty of good dining options and a last chance for a sugary desert if you can find the westernised pizza & pastry bar. There's also a bar or two and the Hotel Parador has a bar (I might have to check that name).
You can get there in good time before dark, depending upon what time the ferry arrives and how quickly you get through immigration, via many routes according to my Michelin map. I've done it a couple of times this year but was using trails some of the time so I can't give you a definitive road-ride but would guess at the following (You can see this on Google Maps):

1) Leave your port and go for the N16;

2) Take the N16 in the direction which leads your group to the P4703 and head south;

3) Take the southern fork of the P4701 following the signs to Tetouan;

4) Turn left on the N2 to Tetouan and go for the coast road N16 via the N13;

5) Take the N16 for some fun until you fine a left turn for the P4105 and take that road for more immersion into this new environment;

6) Continue until you arrive at the N2 and turn left towards Chefchaouen. Carry on and pick up the sign posts to guide you in.

That'll probably do for me upon arrival and will give you some amazingly good roads to get your eye in. You'll even have time to find your first Tagine lunch somewhere along those roads. :thumb

Day1: Sounds like DitchWater is suggesting the coast road to Chefchaouen via Oued Laou—nice ride. Chefchaouen is a great first stop (Riad Baraka). Personally I always pick up the motorway from Fnediq to Tetouan for the first bit, it gives you a chance to look around in 'relative' safety.

Day 2: Restful day—have a look round Chefchaouen in the morning, then ride the skyline drive of the N2 via Issaguen (aka Ketama) to Al Hoceima (Hotel Villa Florido), see post #3. 200km of twisty roads, so probably 3.5 to 4 hours plus photo and coffee stops.

Day3: South to Taza then south west via R507 and R502 to Boulemane, then via Mischliffen volcano and on to Azrou (Hotel Cedres or Panorama).

Day 4: south on N8 to Mrirt, then north west to Oulmes, Maaziz and Tiflet. Then north through Forest of Mamora to Sidi Yahya du Rharb, then pick up A1 motorway heading north to Larache (Hotel Espana).

Day 5: back to ports :eek:

If you have a bit more time try to work in the section Azrou - Ain Leuh - Sources Oum er Rbia - Khenifra through the gorgeous cedar forest, and maybe stop overnight at Oulmes (hotel next to the water bottling plant).

Even the leisurely tour above is more frenetic than I normally go, but then I have more time. :)

Lots to see inbetween towns and plenty of cheap hotels in the locations i've posted above.

Here's a ride report from one of the tours around the land of [URL="http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108660&highlight=skies"]Cerulean Skies and no Pubs[/URL]. :D
The daily morrocan mileages are around 200 miles or a bit less. Very comfortable distance as the roads are very good and you'll be able to stop for lunch and have a look around.

I've got the daily mileages written down somewhere. I'll post them up later. Choose your own routes between points, plenty to see and do.
Nice and easy, plenty of small towns along the way and avoiding the Ibis type hotels.

Many thanks for help makes things easier when we get there, we can always extend a day or two, we have allowed 4-5 days steady ride down through Portugal and the same for our trip back up through Spain.

Would you advise getting maps for our Satnavs.

You have provided a lot of help on here with all the forms and info and it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Do not ignore the roads :D

8zhf2a.jpg

2efn5lg.jpg

2ntiubo.jpg

The free map from Olaf is worthwhile but not routable, so you need to switch into offroad mode (i.e. point to point routing).

The Olaf mapping is not routable but these are http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ and, like Olaf, they're free as well.
Like Olaf they're not perfect, and check the route overview before blindly following it as there are several mapping errors that make for interesting routing, but they are not too bad and include a lot of the pistes as well. Great for creating routes on the computer to upload to your GPS:thumb

The roads are boring, avoid them and use the dusty scabby potholed tracks and take some food with you, . :D

A picture of the typical boring nondescript road with restaurants along the way, who needs that. :D

hryfk3.jpg

As promised in a previous post = Some mileages
Ceuta - Fez = 200 miles
Fez - Marrakesh = 300
Marrakesh - Dades Gorge (via Ait Benhaddou) = 264
Dades Gorge - Meknes = 347 Or go via Erfoud and make another day of it.
Meknes - Algerciras = 190.
Tafraoute - Tazenakht = 175
Tazenakht - Zagora = 115 ( via Foum Zguid)
Ouarzazate - Zagora = 115
Ouarzazate - Tineher = 97
Ourzazate - Marrakesh = 110

Not a route, but it gives you an idea of the layout and distances.

2ignkv4.jpg

When

Many thanks for help makes things easier when we get there, we can always extend a day or two, we have allowed 4-5 days steady ride down through Portugal and the same for our trip back up through Spain.

Would you advise getting maps for our Satnavs.

You have provided a lot of help on here with all the forms and info and it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Hey John

When in March do you hope to cross over the straits ?

We have decided against it at the moment, being a new country to us and the talk of trouble over there we will be staying in Portugal and Spain.
Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers

John

There's 7 of us going in April,for a jolly,we have no qualm's about travelling around Moroc.:)

March 15 or 16

We have decided against it at the moment, being a new country to us and the talk of trouble over there we will be staying in Portugal and Spain.
Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers

John

I hope to be over on the above dates if you want to link at the bottom of Spain and do the border thing together .. Portugal and Spain are really nice for sure but Moroc really is the nearest faraway land and I would encourage you to have a look .

Back
Top Bottom