Rukka experiences

MarkR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've always had HG gear. Always been very happy with them and only used to get a bit damp if I forgot to do up a zip or vent.
Never ever got soaked.
I have a HG Tricky suit that I've owned for a decade and is absolutley ragged. I use it for winter duties and destinations where I think I'll be wearing it to fix stuff or sit round fires.
It still keeps me dry.
But it smells a bit; despite being washed.
I have a nicer HG suit but it's a bit heavy for summer duties.
Ideally I would have bought another tricky but HG had gone belly up so I bought a Rukka Flexius jacket and trousers.

Initially very pleased; comfy, warm and the bits looked well made.
I kept it for going to nice places and nice weather.
So I bought it back in 2017 and on a trip to Scotland a couple of weekends back decided to wear it and break it into more regular use.
On the way back home to Wales from campig at Shegra I rode home from around Glasgow in atrocious weather.
I got soaked to the skin.

I've been in touch with FC Moto (suppliers) and Rukka and they said I should contact Goretex themselves and I'm in the middle of this at the moment.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone elses Rukka experiences; especially with The Flexius items.
The suit cost me £800 and both are Goretex; I'm extremely disappointed.

Does the Flexius have a Gore-Tex liner or is it a laminated Gore-Tex?

Sorry, I’ve no experience of this particular model.

I’ve had three Rukka laminated suits over the years and not one has ever leaked.

Does the Flexius have a Gore-Tex liner or is it a laminated Gore-Tex?

Sorry, I’ve no experience of this particular model.

I’ve had three Rukka laminated suits over the years and not one has ever leaked.

Z-liner. So not laminated. So the outer layer gets wet. Same as my old Tricky suit.

I've had a Rukka Navigator suit since 2016, laminated. It has been 100% dry, I'm an all year around rider. But to your question, do you have the 6 year warranty?

I've had a Rukka Navigator suit since 2016, laminated. It has been 100% dry, I'm an all year around rider. But to your question, do you have the 6 year warranty?

I definitely have a 5 year warranty! I'm corresponding with Gore-tex themselves now. The system for complaints has changed as of this October. You used to send stuff back via the supplier but now it's done direct with Gore-tex.
I am a big user of Gore-tex. Hill walking, work, road bikes, dirt bikes. This is the first time I have ever been soaked through while using it.

I may be wrong but under the sale of goods act you’re contract Is with the supplier.

Are FC Moto a UK retailer?

German.

I may be wrong but under the sale of goods act you’re contract Is with the supplier.

I contacted FC Moto first (Ordered lots from them over the years). They directed me to Gore-tex:

"We would like to take this opportunity to inform you of the changes GORE will be making to deliver the “GORE-TEX GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™” promise directly to consumers.

So far, you could contact us or the Rukka brand directly in the event of a complaint with GORE materials and we have so far evaluated the complaint and checked whether it met the conditions given by GORE as part of the GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™ promise, corresponds.

From October 1st, 2020 onwards, in the unfortunate event that you have a problem with your GORE product, GORE will provide direct help and check whether it falls under the promise of GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™.

This means that in the event of an assumed leak, you contact GORE directly and no longer us or Rukka.

GORE will organize the collection directly from you and also arrange for the repaired clothing or replacement delivery to be returned.

If, in addition to the GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™ complaint, you have another complaint about your clothing that concerns Rukka (defective fasteners, seams, etc.), the same procedure applies. The complaint is also processed via GORE.

With this change, GORE expects a faster and more efficient processing of any complaints with the end user.

All GORE warranty conditions and contact numbers are published on the GORE-TEX brand website and are accessible via the GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™ label on the clothing:

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/support/guarantee-and-returns

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/support/product-claims
"

Up to now; Gore-tex have been responsive; asked for details and photos. We'll see how it goes.

Correct if in the uk

Well. I think its the consumer rights act, but I am not up to date

German.

I contacted FC Moto first (Ordered lots from them over the years). They directed me to Gore-tex:

"We would like to take this opportunity to inform you of the changes GORE will be making to deliver the “GORE-TEX GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™” promise directly to consumers.

So far, you could contact us or the Rukka brand directly in the event of a complaint with GORE materials and we have so far evaluated the complaint and checked whether it met the conditions given by GORE as part of the GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™ promise, corresponds.

From October 1st, 2020 onwards, in the unfortunate event that you have a problem with your GORE product, GORE will provide direct help and check whether it falls under the promise of GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™.

This means that in the event of an assumed leak, you contact GORE directly and no longer us or Rukka.

GORE will organize the collection directly from you and also arrange for the repaired clothing or replacement delivery to be returned.

If, in addition to the GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™ complaint, you have another complaint about your clothing that concerns Rukka (defective fasteners, seams, etc.), the same procedure applies. The complaint is also processed via GORE.

With this change, GORE expects a faster and more efficient processing of any complaints with the end user.

All GORE warranty conditions and contact numbers are published on the GORE-TEX brand website and are accessible via the GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ™ label on the clothing:

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/support/guarantee-and-returns

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/support/product-claims
"

Up to now; Gore-tex have been responsive; asked for details and photos. We'll see how it goes.

Yup, Motolegends emailed this out last month

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/543228-Gore-Tex-policy-change

Personally, I doubt that you’ll have any problems dealing directly with Gore-Tex.

I bought the Rukka Armaxis Gore Tex Suit for £1400 from Infinity Motorcycle in January 2017. 18 months later they leaked in the crotch area and were returned for treatment.

They leaked a second time and the trousers were replaced for brand new items by Infinity in February 2020. Their service was first class.

Garments costing that much should be bomb proof - I noted when I returned the old ones that the seam in the crotch area had worn right through. Mine where used everyday practically all year round.

I’ve been a fan of Rukka for 20 years, but now I’m not sure I would buy again.

Well I'm a bit dissppointed in Goretex' response:

'....Many GORE-TEX products are treated with an ultra-thin durable water repellent (DWR), a polymer that’s applied to the outermost fabric layer. DWR reduces the surface tension of the fabric, so that water simply rolls off.
Regular wear and tear, exposure to sunscreen lotion, dirt, detergents, insect repellent, other materials can shorten the lifespan of the treatment. If that happens water can saturate the outer fabric of your gear making you feel damp and clammy, as if your gear was leaking. '

Then proceeded to tell me how to wash them.

They haven't been worn often enough to need washing!

I understand your frustration
Dirt, yeah that's avoidable on a bike in bad weather, the others are common sense, can't remember a need to apply those to my bike jacket
The suppliers admit that Z liner jackets will wet out and saturate the outer material, that's why they sing the praises of laminated materials
Are you able to share Gore's washing advice?
Just to see if it differs from motolegends and TranAm (Rukka importers)

Well I'm a bit dissppointed in Goretex' response:

'....Many GORE-TEX products are treated with an ultra-thin durable water repellent (DWR), a polymer that’s applied to the outermost fabric layer. DWR reduces the surface tension of the fabric, so that water simply rolls off.
Regular wear and tear, exposure to sunscreen lotion, dirt, detergents, insect repellent, other materials can shorten the lifespan of the treatment. If that happens water can saturate the outer fabric of your gear making you feel damp and clammy, as if your gear was leaking. '

Then proceeded to tell me how to wash them.

They haven't been worn often enough to need washing!

So Gore are saying that the Gore-Tex isn’t leaking, but that the wetting our is making you feel as though it is (a downside of drop liners compared to laminated items), and that you aren’t actually getting wet?

I understand your frustration
Dirt, yeah that's avoidable on a bike in bad weather, the others are common sense, can't remember a need to apply those to my bike jacket
The suppliers admit that Z liner jackets will wet out and saturate the outer material, that's why they sing the praises of laminated materials
Are you able to share Gore's washing advice?
Just to see if it differs from motolegends and TranAm (Rukka importers)

The washing advice was within their reply as if typed out by the person replying but it was boiler plate cut-n-paste from this page: https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/support/care/outerwear

So Gore are saying that the Gore-Tex isn’t leaking, but that the wetting our is making you feel as though it is (a downside of drop liners compared to laminated items), and that you aren’t actually getting wet?

Exactly that. Very annoying. I do know the difference between feeling wet and being soaked through. It's all in the underwear......

I definitely have a 5 year warranty! I'm corresponding with Gore-tex themselves now. The system for complaints has changed as of this October. You used to send stuff back via the supplier but now it's done direct with Gore-tex.
I am a big user of Gore-tex. Hill walking, work, road bikes, dirt bikes. This is the first time I have ever been soaked through while using it.

recently a long thread on this. Search for my posts. You'll be pleasantly surprised

I bought a Rukka suit from a dealer in England who was about to go tits up, paid £600 which I believe was half price at the time cant remember the model but it was laminated and I never got wet, this was around 2011 or 2012, was a great suit and around 2016 I noticed the colour was fading so I returned it to Rukka via a dealer in Glasgow, 2 weeks later they sent me a brand new suit with an apology that the one I returned was no longer current, the value of the replacement was £1200, so in summary I guess I am a fan of Rukka but I would always buy the laminated type rather than depend on a liner to keep dry, the technology is more expensive for good reason.

Back
Top Bottom