Sat Nav - what one

SuzukiGSX1400

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Garmin Street pilot III or a Garmin Quest, I am not up on either but would like one to put onto the GSA I have with a ram mount - any suggestions with differences in the two

Am i right in thinking the quest supercedes the streetpitlot III?

Cheers..

How good's your eyesight?

How far do you hope to go with the GPS on a tour?

If you need it to be on battery power on the bike, how long must the batteries last?

One answer, yes the Quest is later than the SP3, but there are two types of Quest :(

Eyesights good...

I use the bike travelling for work as well instead of using the car if I can, but also tour 2-3 times a year Europe - Spain and the pairofknees in a couple of weeks

The SPIII is approx £120-80 on ebay and there is a quest for 120 - hence the confusion. I have a Garmin Nuvi at present for the car but not waterproof or able to mount successfully...any help is appreciated - Cheers

For similar money I'd go for a SP3 as you can expand the memory, ie there's 128 and 256 mb cards. The Quest 1, which is the one for similar money is fixed at 143 mb IIRC.

Battery life on the SP3 isn't good so it really has to be external powered, but there's quite often TT mounts for sale, which I'd recommend.

If buying on ebay make sure you know exactly what you're getting eg unlock codes, original and update disks etc etc. ;)

Both SP III and Quest one have limited memory so you would have to download the Maps you think you're going to need during your trip...

The SP III allows you to add different memory cards(albeit Garmin's own only) which you could preload with different parts of Europe on each.

The Quest is small, but a nice wee unit non the less...

The Quest two can hold all of Europe but.....there are several on here that have had problems with it locking up...me included..

So....IMHO, the SP III would be my choice if my budget was the deciding factor...

SPIII it is then

There are a few on ebay at present one in particular from a blackbird rider with all the europe and uk maps etc and a ram mount...

There are a few on ebay at present one in particular from a blackbird rider with all the europe and uk maps etc and a ram mount...

Not sure what that means....you usually get the software with all the maps of Europe with any GPS Unit...

The difference being whether or not the unit you own can hold 'ALL' the Maps at once or whether or not you have to choose the ones to load for your trip.

Ask the seller if he is including additional cards as the standard SP III memory cards will not carry the UK and All of Europe at the same time..:nenau

nuvi mount

i am using a nuvi 660 on a couple of bikes at the moment, here is a photo of a crossbar mount that i used to have made

Attachments

• i3 mount.jpg
    i3 mount.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 183
Mio Digiwalker 550

A creditable alternative to the Tom-Tom and comes with full street level West Europe on a 1Gb card.

Digiwalker 550 just went on to this months PC-Pro A-List for best walkabout portable GPS. Also WiFi and Bluetooth +-ve.

They say it's actually better than Tom-Tom in most/some areas of guidance clarity.

Worth a look?

<iframe frameborder="1"height="700"scrolling="auto"src="http://www.easydevices.co.uk/scp/PDA/Mio_PDAs.html"width="800"></iframe>

Hopefully, and the unlock codes as well, hopefully :eek:

To expand on what John says: I believe that each installation of Mapsource allows you to use the unlock code twice (i.e. when you get a new PC - you can install the software again)

Make sure there are unused unlock codes with the unit :thumb2

Al :D

Is the deluxe different as this is what is on offer

Racking the old grey cells, I seem to recall, SPIII had a 32Mb datacard and SPIII deluxe version came with a 128Mb card :nenau

As a guide, last year, a batch of SPIII deluxe units + power lead+ RAM u-bolt mount was c£150

Have the people here who are recommending an SPIII over a Quest1 used both units?

If so I'm very surprised at your preference.

I've had both units in the past and the Quest is by far the better unit :)

To expand on what John says: I believe that each installation of Mapsource allows you to use the unlock code twice (i.e. when you get a new PC - you can install the software again)

Make sure there are unused unlock codes with the unit :thumb2

Al :D

AFAIK the unlock codes are GPS specific and not PC, ie you could have the software and maps on 10 PC's, but could only load the maps onto 2 Garmin GPS's.

I think :eek:

Only recommending the SP3 as the performance is similar ie dog slow compared to the 2610 etc. Cost wise it's going to be the Quest 1 v the SP3 and IMHO as the SP3 can be expand it's memory, admitedly at cost, then that's what I'd be tempted to buy. The downside with the SP3 is the serial port if you only run a lap top, but that problem can be got around.

Extra info: have a look at 2610's, and if you can afford one, get it instead of a SP3 / Quest. Vastly better performance and memory upgrade capability.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom