Seat height dilemma!

Stratman59

Reaction score
I've read through the lengthy thread regarding seat heights but I still need help. I've put a deposit on a new GSA Rallye. I'm 65 with a dodgy hip. My original plan was to go for an LC version. The dealship (3 hours away) who have a cracking deal said no, go for standard as I'm 6'ft, inside leg 32 inch. I'm in Norfolk so we don't have any dealers where I can sit on the bikes. I managed to sit on a standard bike and concluded it is way too tall for me. Now a mate has said 'did you switch it on so it could adjust for sag' I'm 183 pounds no, I hadn't. I feel my maximum would be 840 mm seat height when riding. Can anyone chip in with their thoughts. Cheers and sorry for bringing this up once again. It's my retirement bike so I need to get it right.

i would have thought any dealer would let you have an extended test ride to be sure. as it happens im 6ft with 32" inside leg and have been riding normal height GSA's since 2012, now on my 4th.

i would have thought any dealer would let you have an extended test ride to be sure. as it happens im 6ft with 32" inside leg and have been riding normal height GSA's since 2012, now on my 4th.
Trouble is the dealship I'm buying from is a 3 hour drive away. I was literally on tip toes when I tried one at a different dealer, they couldn't get close to matching the deal. I'm 65 and as I said, I have a very weak left hip, (old injury) I'm certain if the bike began to fall that side I'd have no chance of saving it. Can you say if the bike does drop for sag when switched on as my mate suggested. If so, would it drop 40mm?

my personal experience, i own a 2015 GSA, and it came with standard electronic suspension (2015 version) and standard seat. I ended up buying a lowered exclusive seat. i reached the ground flat foot on the normal seat, but i ride in small roads, and country roads, and the camber on the roads, means that i on several occasions put my left leg down to find thin air....the standard GSA height with lowered seat is much better, especially with the suspension set on rider plus luggage

my personal experience, i own a 2015 GSA, and it came with standard electronic suspension (2015 version) and standard seat. I ended up buying a lowered exclusive seat. i reached the ground flat foot on the normal seat, but i ride in small roads, and country roads, (malta, Sicily, italy) and the camber on the roads, means that i on several occasions put my left leg down to find thin air....the standard GSA height with lowered seat is much better, especially with the suspension set on rider plus luggage

I'm 6' tall with a 32" inside leg. My first GS (standard, not GSA) was a regular one with a standard seat. It was OK but not perfect. On the low seat setting the distance to the ground was ideal (840) but a bit cramped in the knees after a long trip. On the high setting (870), the ground was ok but not 100% comfortable if the camber was off etc. It also made it bit more trouble to get on and off the bike. The kneeroom felt great though.

So, my current bike is a low suspension model with a standard seat. On the high seat setting it is 840, which is fine for reaching the ground (and getting on and off the bike) and the legroom (seat to peg) is the same as a regular bike on high - 870. So, best of both worlds, and since I don't really do offroad the lack of ground clearance is not an issue.

For me, it's the perfect bike.

The GS and GSA seat heights on LC models are different so please don’t confuse this. If you are buying the Rallye GSA then you have 3 settings on the rear electronic suspension Auto (which will preload the bike to your weight) or High and Low. You also have 2 height positions on the seat itself (manually you change this under the seat).

I don’t know what settings (Auto, Low, High) or seat position (Low, High) you had when you tried the standard suspension GSA bike?

However I can say I am a 32” inside leg and I had my seat position set to High at front and Low at back and on Auto.

Given what you have told us I’d have thought the option to drop to Low seat position and Low setting on rear electronic suspension could work.

Hope that helps, also do you really need the GSA and extra weight over the GS? The GS is marginally lower too.

Thanks G&T.
Several reasons for going for the adventure. I want to buy new, three-year year warranty etc. Also, we're planning on touring in our retirement so the weather protection is important, not so much the fuel capacity but no doubt it'll be useful when knocking out the miles. Lastly, fantastic deals on the GSA's. Very few GS models for sale new, mostly ultimate versions and I don't want to pay thousand for non functional bling.
My 'comfort' height is definitely a maximum of 840mm. If my dealer can offer me as good a deal on a low suspension model I think I'll go for that. It seems to give me more options around the 840 mm mark. I'll let you all know what I end up with. Cheers

Reactions: G&T
Thanks G&T.
Several reasons for going for the adventure. I want to buy new, three-year year warranty etc. Also, we're planning on touring in our retirement so the weather protection is important, not so much the fuel capacity but no doubt it'll be useful when knocking out the miles. Lastly, fantastic deals on the GSA's. Very few GS models for sale new, mostly ultimate versions and I don't want to pay thousand for non functional bling.
My 'comfort' height is definitely a maximum of 840mm. If my dealer can offer me as good a deal on a low suspension model I think I'll go for that. It seems to give me more options around the 840 mm mark. I'll let you all know what I end up with. Cheers
If it's a factory order you should be able to change it if you're quick enough. From memory the lowered GSA is the same height as a standard GS though not sure about the Rallye versions but I would expect it to be the same as a standard GS Rallye whatvever that is. The lowered GSA will also give you some upward scope too giving you more feet, knee, hips room and a lowered GSA with a standard seat will be more comfy than a standard GSA with a lowered seat. Also the lowered riders seat on a standard GSA will put your pillion higher relative to you and the pillion seat will be higher off the ground too which will make it more difficult for your pillion to get on and off especially if they're less tall. I'd get the factory lowered one.

Trouble is the dealship I'm buying from is a 3 hour drive away. I was literally on tip toes when I tried one at a different dealer, they couldn't get close to matching the deal. I'm 65 and as I said, I have a very weak left hip, (old injury) I'm certain if the bike began to fall that side I'd have no chance of saving it. Can you say if the bike does drop for sag when switched on as my mate suggested. If so, would it drop 40mm?
I couldnt say really on the height, in terms of dropping it I can say that once it starts to go your not saving it no matter what height you are :ROFLMAO:

O

I’m 5feet 11 inside leg 32 inches. I ride a 2016 GS Adventure. I have the seat on the low setting which you can alter, I have no problems at all getting both my feet down comfortably. I have mates who are 5 ft 8/9 ish also riding GS bikes without any problems. As a 6 footer I’d say your the ideal height for these bikes, your old hip injury is of course a different matter and only you will know how your weakness due to injury will affect you.

Thanks for all the replies, I've gone for the low suspension model. At my age it just seemed sensible. Not getting any younger after all and I'm hoping this bike will see me into my 70's.

Does nobody else just slide their arse across a little to get their foot flat down when stopping?
I’m tip toes on the standard GSA when putting both down, but unless there may be some weakness in the legs as the OP I’ve never thought it an issue to edge over a smidge as I stop, and put the necessary foot down.
I always try and look to plan where I’m stopping and look at which foot would be best to plant when I stop.

Does nobody else just slide their arse across a little to get their foot flat down when stopping?
I’m tip toes on the standard GSA when putting both down, but unless there may be some weakness in the legs as the OP I’ve never thought it an issue to edge over a smidge as I stop, and put the necessary foot down.
I always try and look to plan where I’m stopping and look at which foot would be best to plant when I stop.
The GSA is new to me, can’t quite flat foot it. I came from a GS which was no problem.
I can easily flat foot one side if I slide off the saddle a touch. I will admit I’d be a little happier to be able to flat foot both sides for when I’m touring two up.

Exactly, I've read lots of comments saying it's 'when you drop your bike and not if'. Makes me wonder, is that because many are riding bikes that are simply too tall for them? 45 years of riding sports bikes and I've never dropped one. It's all very well planning where you're going to pull up, thats common sense, but what about those situations where an emergency stop is needed?
Everyone to their own and I'm sure if I were 20 years younger I wouldn't think twice about needing to flat foot. I think I'm happy with my decision, time will tell.

I've owned several LC's including a 1200GSA and only have a 30" inseam and also have one dodgy hip. Never had any problems riding it or stopping in traffic. Just set the suspension on soft when coming to a standstill and have preload set for your weight. You can slide forward slightly on the seat. I prefer the standard seat tbh, and adjust it using the little grommets under the seat for the lower position and all's good. Currently ride an RS with a taller sports seat and that's fine too. you'll appreciate the added leg room without having to go to the more uncomfortable lower seat which uses less padding.

Back
Top Bottom