Service intervals etc.

Stu23

Reaction score
Hi. First post outside of the "newbie" thread. I've just bought a used GS which I'll be looking after myself. I'd like some opinions...

Bike is an early 07 (Jan manuf., March reg.) with just 17500 miles on the clock. It came with a full service book with annual stamps from BMW dealers, and has never gone more than 2900 miles between oil changes. Several of them are 300 miles apart. MoT history supports mileage as does the overall condition which is near mint.

Last service was done by CW Motorcycles in Dorchester, March 2018, at 16538 miles (so 1000 miles, 17 months ago). In the 4 years prior to that it's had 4 other services in 3000 miles, and had the following bits replaced under some warranty or other: ABS pump, Wheel Flange, Driveshaft, Shock (Rear presumably) and Fuel pump! I have the invoice for the last service which includes changing all fluids incl. final drive, etc.

BMW service schedule would have me changing the oil again immediately as it's 5 months overdue for an "annual inspection". However it's only done 1000 miles since a major service and the oil still looks fairly clean. My own judgement says just ride the bloody thing for another 2-3k and change the oil (and maybe do everything else again) over the winter.

I'm not one to do stuff just because, there's no warranty to concern myself with, and I'll probably be keeping the bike for a long time, so not too fussed about maintaining resale value. So, is there a valid reason to change lightly used, 18 month old oil? If it makes a difference, the bill just says 15W50... I assume the BMW synthetic oil from CW, but not definite.

Note: Not an oil thread! I can work out what to put in it myself :augie

The argument is of all the contamination suspended in the oil can cause problems.

If, the oil looks fine and there's no warranty to worry about, then I'd change it around october/November when it starts to get colder. Use any oil the specification better than SJ and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I would expect the oils should be ok. Might be worth checking and replacing the clutch fluid and brake fluids. I don't suppose that a dealer would replace them during a routine service. A cheap brake fluid tester is worth using.

There's no 'correct' answer to the question. It's a judgement call. Fine to leave, but you'll also find many on here would change the engine and FD oil for peace of mind. Either way it's fine.

You wrote that all fluids replaced, so that prob includes brake fluid. Worth checking, and if more than 2 years old it can't hurt to replace. Take a look through the threads on here for issues people tend to have in case any of it relevant

ABS pump - normal failure and interesting its been done (designed to fail at 7.5 years)
Wheel Flange - recall, swapped aluminum hub to steel, coz tyre fitters are animals and the original cracks radially from the bolt holes and the wheel falls off, (circa 2015)
Driveshaft - interesting at these miles
Shock (Rear presumably) - interesting at these miles
Fuel pump - recall, the hose connectors fracture spraying petrol all over the engine till it goes up in flames (circa 2016)

:augie

mines of similar age 6 month newer (plus 10k miles)

fuel pump relay - recall, fills with water and the bike cuts out (circa 2010)
brake pipes - recall, all steel pipework swapped out, vibrations fracture the pipes, brake fluid weeps out potentially no brakes (circa 2010)

buy a better seat, better screen and a power commander so you can ride below 3k rpm, when brave buy a great aftermarket shock, do all that and it becomes a good bike

“ride the bloody thing for another 2-3k and change the oil (and maybe do everything else again) over the winter“

That’s exactly what I’d do, sounds like a good find, enjoy it and stop worrying.

Is be more worried about condensation in the oil than particles.

Personally I'd just ride it and service over the winter as already reccomended. Unless in some way it's not running correctly and then at that point a full service would be in order to set a baseline.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys. Nice to hear nobody has come up with any good reason to change it. It's done a couple of 60 mile plus runs on warm days since I've had it so should have got rid of any condensation if there was any.

Everything else done (brake fluid, rear drive, gearbox oil - or at least invoiced!) with last oil change 17 months ago, so no concerns elsewhere.

I don't believe there are any outstanding recalls... it's certainly been into the dealers a lot prior to last year.

I may still treat it to oil and filter at some point soon, but won't panic in the meantime.

If the bikes went 17 months without being checked and you intend servicing it yourself and keeping it, it would be sensible to change the engine, gearbox, and final drive oil rather than trust it will be ok. there's maybe no oil in the gearbox or FD.

It might be ok, but if it's not, you'll be kicking yourself. Just saying. :thumb2

If there isn't I'm in serious trouble, I've done 650 miles on it since I wrote the original post!
I have the invoice for the last service which included all fluid changes. No reason to suspect it wasn't done. It's all going fine, and now has 18150 miles on the clock.

I change the engine oil and filter twice a year mineral 20W50 gearbox/FD once a year 50/50 oil and lucas oil additive plugs/air filter every 24000 as per the book.
Don't get too obsessive about it.

If you're not doing huge miles, a full service every two years is ample.
If you're doing the miles then do the oil & filter change based on mileage.

The bulk of my mileage is long distance so it's a bit of TLC, and it gives me summat to do when i am bored:D

Get yourself a GS911 and something decent to synchronise it with and you won’t need to see a dealer again.

Again? Haven't been near a motorcycle dealer for service work in 30 years! :D

I have an old carbtune vacuum gauge somewhere, so can probably get away with balancing. Not sure when I'll need the GS911 in the near future, but won't splash out until I do! I used to use TuneECU on the Triumphs; I assume there's nothing similar for the BMW?

Yes, same kind of thing, but not all the same functions. I held off on buying a GS911 for years, then inevitably had to buy one, and kicked myself for not getting sooner.

Back
Top Bottom