set of auxilliary lights

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
HI All..

some practical advice please. i have the 2015 GSA with the factory auxilliay lights. i have inherited a set of auxilliary lights from a friend and am toying with the idea of mounting them however not sure they will ever be needed. what are your thoughts

1. do a 2nd set of auxilliary lights make sense?
2. if so where did you mount them?

thoughts? thanks in advance

R

You could fit them to another bike and ride them both at the same time... :augie

More seriously, from a seeing perspective, it would be best if one set were fog lamps and the other long range driving lamps.

Is there much call for that or is it a case of increasing the likelihood of being seen by myopic drivers?

HI All..

some practical advice please. i have the 2015 GSA with the factory auxilliay lights. i have inherited a set of auxilliary lights from a friend and am toying with the idea of mounting them however not sure they will ever be needed. what are your thoughts

1. do a 2nd set of auxilliary lights make sense?
2. if so where did you mount them?

thoughts? thanks in advance

R
Are you referring to the BMW OEM Fog lamps?? Has a button on the left hand mirror mount??

They are not auxiliary lights due to their position and strength etc

SO absolutely fit a set of auxiliary lights, if you go to youtube and look look at this guy https://www.youtube.com/@ABIKETHING/videos

He shows you where you can fit them and all the various mounts and lights available

How to connect and control them would be something that may need work.

A Skene IQ 275 would allow you to control them, and also dim them for daytime use (using as DRL). This would be a budget option if you weren't splashing out on a Denali type controller (the Data Dim is awesome but more expensive than the Skene)
The Skene will allow you to run lights at low intensity (10, 20, 30...90 %) during the day, and then come on 100% with full beam. I use ~20% during the day as DRL, then 100% when flash or full beam engaged... It won't mess with your CANBUS

Other than that, your bike will look like a christmas tree :)

Last edited:
Are you referring to the BMW OEM Fog lamps?? Has a button on the left hand mirror mount??

They are not auxiliary lights due to their position and strength etc

SO absolutely fit a set of auxiliary lights, if you go to youtube and look look at this guy https://www.youtube.com/@ABIKETHING/videos

He shows you where you can fit them and all the various mounts and lights available
The BMW lights are aux lights and not fog lights. If you look at the configurator they are now classed as aux lights. You can now have the aux lights on at any time ie during the day with dlr lights. If they were fog lights, you could only switch them on when your headlight was on.

The advantage of having other aux lights, if you run them from a hex or cansmart, is, you can set different brightness for daytime, night dip and full beam.

The BMW lights are aux lights and not fog lights. If you look at the configurator they are now classed as aux lights. You can now have the aux lights on at any time ie during the day with dlr lights. If they were fog lights, you could only switch them on when your headlight was on.

The advantage of having other aux lights, if you run them from a hex or cansmart, is, you can set different brightness for daytime, night dip and full beam.
Which is exactly what my FOG lights do on my 2019 GSA BMW OEM installation

Yes it says AUX lights but all the blurb underneath states fog lights and hence why the picture on the button and on the display also show the fog light symbol.

Which is exactly what my FOG lights do on my 2019 GSA BMW OEM installation

Yes it says AUX lights but all the blurb underneath states fog lights and hence why the picture on the button and on the display also show the fog light symbol.
Your fog lights do that because they are not fog lights anymore, they have different lenses and flood pattern to fog lights. Years ago they were fog lights. The newer lights are aux lights. Switch wise, they haven't changed the switches.

It is against the law to be able to switch fog lights on with day light running lights, you have to have the headlight on.

The UK configurator has many txt errors on it, if you go to the Europe one, you will see they are now classed as aux lights.

thanks Guys

useful inputs- will try out some options, wanted to avoie the xmas tree look though....

R

Back
Top Bottom