Snapped bolt, in rear gear housing?

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Noticed today after returning from a ride that the rear mudguard was wobbling on my 2010GSA, and on further inspection one of the 3 mounting bolts (the long one) has snapped off flush with the metal casing it screws into. The spacer tube the bolt runs through has also sheared at the flange that mounts against the casing (remanant still attached in photo below).

Not had a chance to remove the caliper for a good look but it the sanpped bolt appears to screw into the rear bevel drive housing. In the meantime just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and did they avoid having to remove the drive housing to get the bolt drilled out?

Ta
DSC_0798.JPG

Buy a set of left hand drills and give it a go. It’s almost certainly going to spin out but remove all the bits around it first.

Is there some thread poking through the end? If so simply unscrew from rear?

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Having had a closer look at the photo there appears to be a blue smear around the thread which suggest thread lock of some description. You definitely need to get everything clear then use a heat gun or a small gas blowtorch to kill the adhesive before doing anything else.

I would take the damaged bracket off. If you are lucky there will be a bit of the bolt proud of the housing. Use your favourite technique for removing it. It should not be tight. But it might be corroded or (as mentioned) have thread lock on it. I would say you have clouted the 'hugger' or it has had a hard life and fatigued off.

As @AndyB_11 says, clear the area, use some heat to the neutralise the thread lock, then drill out with a left hand drill bit, as demonstrated here: -

Best to centre punch the broken bolt before you start drilling, if possible, to help keep the drill bit centred initially.

As @AndyB_11 says, clear the area, use some heat to the neutralise the thread lock, then drill out with a left hand drill bit, as demonstrated here: -

Best to centre punch the broken bolt before you start drilling, if possible, to help keep the drill bit centred initially.
Easy isn’t it?

I have exactly the same thing. I think you probably have to make sure the spacer is located right so that it doesn't place any sideways stress on the screw.
I haven't bothered to do anything and just left the guard thing off. It does next to fuck all anyway.

+1 for leaving the guard off, got p!ssed off with replacing the brackets and bolts.

That's an M6 bolt. Drilling should be a last resort, unless you can make up a guide to keep the drill central. Remove caliper & bracket - get some heat on it first then try to tap it round. Unless it's cross-threaded, it should come out.

Back
Top Bottom