Somme and Western Front. Sept 2023

If anyone is thinking of going to this area, there is a fabulous place to stay, just around 90 miles South of Calais in the middle of the Somme. Ran by an English couple. We have stayed there before and it allows easy access to lots of the memorials relating to the Great War.
They have secure under cover bike parking too.

Thanks for posting. I've been to the area a few times (not on a motorcycle) as my Grandfathers both lost Brothers in WW1. One commemorated at Thiepval and one at Vis-en-Artois no graves unfortunately. Also a great Uncle by marrage from Castlwellan who survived the war had a brother killed who had sailed back from New Zealand with the Anzacs to fight in 1918 and lasted two months. His sister was left in NZ and in 1919 he and my Great Aunt emigrated NZ. They did not come back for a visit until 1973!! A very sobering area the western front, I often wonder who will remember after our generation shuffles off. I know my kids have no great interest. That said neither did I when I was their age.

Thanks for posting. I've been to the area a few times (not on a motorcycle) as my Grandfathers both lost Brothers in WW1. One commemorated at Thiepval and one at Vis-en-Artois no graves unfortunately. Also a great Uncle by marrage from Castlwellan who survived the war had a brother killed who had sailed back from New Zealand with the Anzacs to fight in 1918 and lasted two months. His sister was left in NZ and in 1919 he and my Great Aunt emigrated NZ. They did not come back for a visit until 1973!! A very sobering area the western front, I often wonder who will remember after our generation shuffles off. I know my kids have no great interest. That said neither did I when I was their age.
@Mzokk , you may find that where there are no known graves, their name is mes may appear on the Menin Gate memorial?.

A very sobering area the western front, I often wonder who will remember after our generation shuffles off. I know my kids have no great interest. That said neither did I when I was their age.
I always see some UK school groups there when I've been (and obviously loads of Belgian, French and other countries schoolchildren there. Perhaps in 20, 40, 60 years, the right thing is for it to 'fade away' ?

Back
Top Bottom