Starter motor needed in Le Mans

Gelandestrasse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So it would happen; today I am in France and the magnets have jammed my starter motor on the PD.

I’m en route for Le Mans.

Does anyone know anybody who can potentially help, please?

So it would happen; today I am in France and the magnets have jammed my starter motor on the PD.

Where are you in France?

There’s a BMW Motorrad dealership in Le Mans, if that is any good, as we do not know your current location.

Call your recovery / breakdown insurer.

I hope your thread is not a sign, I was looking at vehicle recovery for my old GS, I am off to LE Mans in June for the racing, fingers crossed I get there and back.

Glad to hear it’s all sorted Tim.

Enjoy your trip

Worth knowing that if you ever get stuck in France there is the equivalent of the UKGSer forum who maybe able to help with local info

Not much use to you now that you’re sorted but a couple of years ago, heading for the Morvan on my R80GS, I stopped to take a photo & the bike wouldn’t restart. After numerous attempts I phoned Dr Farkoff who quickly diagnosed a faulty starter motor. I managed to find a dealer in Auxerre but they didn’t have one in stock. They did however offer to order one - either a BMW part @ something like €250 or a, from memory, Peugeot part from a great big parts catalogue they had under the counter for a mere €125 which arrived the next day

How do you kick start it.??
First, I have an R90/6 which kickstarts from hot or cold, like it was normal. So I knew it was possible. I had tried before on the PD but got nowhere, so my mindset had changed and I thought 1000cc was too much; over some sort of threshold.
In my various calls I rang Jim Cray to see if he had a starter motor, explaining the issue. He asked if my bike had a kickstart - said these bike do start - and then ‘advised’ me to practice!!! Advice I often give out! So I did. Unlike a single cylinder there’s no single compression event to find, ease over and then give wellie. So I put my foot on the pedal and moved the lever to where it stopped on one or other compression event of a cylinder. Then raised the pedal to get the best swing. Sometimes this took a bit of churning until the ratchet clicked at a good height. The bike was on the side stand. I tried when the bike was warm (after a relaxing coffee break). Crucially I could reach the throttle to crack it open. Then you put all your weight into the kick. I think the art is the throttle setting alongside the best swing.
And keep going until it starts. And practice. It’s extremely satisfying when you succeed.

NOT THE MAGNETS.

I had time to dismantle the starter and confirm the fault. To my surprise the magnets were in place, being held by metal ‘clamps’. But the dust cap of the reduction gear had come loose (it is pressed into a plastic housing and held by metal tangs) and had been drawn to the armature by magnetism. Each time the motor was used, it looks like it span up, allowing the motor to turn, but rubbing the windings if it got caught. It had been doing it for a while😩🙄. I’d been a bit lazy and had ignored the strange noise it made. Until it finally jammed the armature. The bike was used regularly and it failed on day one of a foreign trip! Serves me right.

Attachments

• IMG_9550.jpeg
    IMG_9550.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9551.jpeg
    IMG_9551.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom