Struggling with Garmin maps

Fluffy Bridges

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Old HP of 15 yrs running XP blew up at Xmas with map updater and all the familiar things on it from when I used a GPSIII+. Oh joy!

Now have new HP with Windows 8:blast. That was enough.

Have (had) 550 loaded with Europe 2009 (I think). Took me perfectly well to Mandello last year on the Guzz but was showing signs of needing a mapping refresh.

Have City Navigator Europe NT 2010 disc. Have 8gb SD card installed in unit.

Bought NuMaps Lifetime from Handtech to give the old girl a refresh.

Activated card and set off down the road to fulfillment.

Didn't get very far. Took 3 hours to download what was shown to be Numaps Europe 2014.

Unit actually tells me it has

CN Europe 2014 [ticked]
[1] UK & Ireland (doesn't say if it's North or Eire or what).

:mad: Probably my fault. Or not.

Not being very computery, possibly I should have left well alone or asked before I pissed with it.

I have the opportunity to start afresh, (I hope).

What do I need on my new 'puter for route planning off unit and how can I get at least Western Europe inc at least Benelux, Fr. Ger. on the unit??

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Off the the garage to service the GSA prior to multi French trips in the next couple of months so appologoes if you don't get an immediate response:D Back in the house shortly.....

Simon.

If your unit has CN Europe 2014 showing and it is ticked it should be all there. When you did the download there would have been an option to download to the unit alone or to your PC and the unit, its under advanced settings I think. You need either Basecamp or Mapsource to manage those maps and to create routes. Basecamp comes free from Garmin, Mapsource is the older system and can still be downloaded, if you Google it you will find it. Once you have either of these (or both as I do) when you open them you will have the option of using whatever maps you have on your PC. I have 3 versions of the Garmin maps plus two sets of openstreetmap ones, they all function on both systems.

If you need links to anything I can sort them out for you but a bit busy right now (MotoGP qualifying is on the TV here)

John

Hi John,

Bike serviced and going like a train...

Thanks for your input.

Have loaded BaseCamp and will also load Mapsource this eve.

Still not convinced what I've got on the unit but will have a detailed look later. Definately shows ticked CN Europe NT 2014 and [1] UK and Ireland in Map Info on unit.

One things for sure, I've learnt a lot about gettingb round Windows 8!

Simon.

Downloaded Mapscourse and used that to down load as much of Europe as I could possibly need to SD card. Basecamp either doesn't want to work with Windows 8 or I'm not being patient enough. Could not get it to do what I wanted it to do no matter what.

Unfortunately, in the meantime I have broken my ankle in a stupid Garage-type imbecilic accident and will now be going in something called a car which has LandRover GPS! Mrs Fluff will be driving...

Life certainly can be a trial

Back
Top Bottom