Surely the joys of the earlier Himalayan were….

I agree with Wapping, I love my little Himi for the reasons he states.
New one looks like a good bike but it’s not really a replacement or upgrade for the original, better looked on as a new model, sadly I feel the original will be discontinued.

No plans to replace mine.

This guy had a stalling issue. Reminiscent of similar issues on the Mk1 Himmie? Anyway, that aside, he really liked it ...

Thanks for the topic Wapping, it's really got me thinking as I'm finding my X-Co a bit too tall, heavy to pick up and too 'modern' for me these days and I'm wondering of the new model will lead to a surge in old ones for sale, especially here in Spain where people like to have things all new and shiny!

My only issue with the original was the seat and pillion design. For those of shorter leg length, it must have been comfortable. I was just too long in the leg so I found myself pushed back but unable to do so because of the pillion step up. I tried my own mods to the rider seat but was never totally satisfied. I'll look at the new one and test it when available. It has more power but seems to have kept the basic philosophy of the original - it's about torque not power.
But I'm wondering about the seat, footage, handlebar ratio too - if you don't mind my asking how tall are you buddy?

A few years ago I had a great day out riding way up in the Pyrenees in company of a Himi and its short arsed owner but foolishly we didn't think to swap bikes, even to sit on it! :blast

IMGP0081.JPG

A Honda, just by branding alone, is many bods’ safe bet. Before I bought my Himalayan, I rode the small BMW thing, which was truly horrible. I also rode the Scram, which I didn’t like either.

Once it gets into the 40 bhp bracket, the new Himalayan enters a whole world of competitors. It’ll be interesting to see how it fares. Had it of been built in China, bods here would have written it off long ago, without even sitting on it.
I agree Richard , however many on here are happy to straddle the later F800/650/700 twins and not realise their Austrian Rotax engines were assembled in China.

Have they released the price yet?
I feel disappointed that they’re discontinuing the 411, I think they could sell both bikes side by side. The extra cost of the 450 might affect sales in their target areas of developing countries. I can see the new bike being very popular and perhaps they haven’t got the production capability - maybe they’ll continue 411 production in Argentina 🤔🤔🤔.
If 411 production ceases it’s, possibly, a good time to buy one - a good and enjoyable investment.

A lot of the original Himis in Europe were bought as second bikes/Sunday afternoon bimble bikes. Neither the old or new models are particularly lightweight or low seat. It’s hard to see the new model slotting into the same niche especially if the prices is over £6k. With a bit of luck they’ll sell well releasing lots of low mileage 411s to be snapped up at sensible prices.

"But I'm wondering about the seat, footage, handlebar ratio too - if you don't mind my asking how tall are you buddy?"

6ft but I expect it's my hip to knee measurement that is the issue. All the shortarses on the forum love 'em! :D I liked mine to and tried to remodel the seat but the fact that off road riding is severely limited up here and the seat issue was enough to make the decision for me.

Last edited:
But I'm wondering about the seat, footage, handlebar ratio too - if you don't mind my asking how tall are you buddy?

Who are you asking that of?

Which bike are you wondering about? The old model (which you know) or the new bike?

I'm quoting the chap Richard. Calm down. I just clicked the wrong button! Quote marks now added!

well ive once again succumbed to the little bikes charms. the new model certainly doesn't have the looks of the old but I hope it will be a great bike and maybe one for the future. in the mean time at least ive brought one a cheap 23 model with 900 miles and bent forks . the intension is to replace the Xcountry we shall see .

its in a very fetching blue

5EA8B47C-E550-4AB3-8274-8BCE62FDB47F.jpg
IMG_5544.jpeg

well ive once again succumbed to the little bikes charms. the new model certainly doesn't have the looks of the old but I hope it will be a great bike and maybe one for the future. in the mean time at least ive brought one a cheap 23 model with 900 miles and bent forks . the intension is to replace the Xcountry we shall see .

its in a very fetching blue

View attachment 292958
View attachment 292957
I like that colour and the bike looks mintier than a mint thing. Nicely run in and serviced for you 👍PS are you going to replace or straighten the forks.

I like that colour and the bike looks mintier than a mint thing. Nicely run in and serviced for you 👍PS are you going to replace or straighten the forks.
yes its pretty new looking for sure. ive brought a pair of complete forks here secondhand E5 ones for £250 so a simple job to fix and only slightly more expensive than replacing just the stanchions (£180)or having them straightened . another alternative was to buy new ones from India (£220 complete set) but the unknown cost of duties and postage time put me off. (y)

How did they manage to bend the forks that badly without doing any other damage to the bike?

How did they manage to bend the forks that badly without doing any other damage to the bike?
it wasn't me that bent them , must have just hit something fairly hard then just toppled over as its got a bent gear lever. I made me wonder how you can bend the forks that much and not do any other damage . also how it can be "written off"

it wasn't me that bent them , must have just hit something fairly hard then just toppled over as its got a bent gear lever. I made me wonder how you can bend the forks that much and not do any other damage . also how it can be "written off"

Was it actually written off by an insurer? Or was it run into something fairly hard, bending the forks, not claimed on and sold on with bent forks and ‘no other damage’?

Or was it ‘written off’ by an insurer, in cooperation with a dealership, who picked up a cheap bike to flog on?

Back
Top Bottom