Suspension Setting for two up riding.

Spotcheck Billy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got a 19 plate GS 1250TE with lowered suspension and a lowered sergent seat.
I normally ride with suspension set to auto and can get the balls of my feet down on that setting. (I find the auto setting gives better handling than the low setting).My better half wants to give pillion riding a go so my question is if I leave suspension on auto, and she gets on, will the bike go back to the same place as now so I can still get the balls of my feet down or should I set it to low?
I’m a bit concerned that on auto, the bike might sit a bit higher and we all fall off at the first stop sign.

Get the bike out, get on and get the wife on....and see what happens?? You probably don't even need to set off for a ride

Hi
Auto levelling on the latest bikes 1200GS and 1250GS will always try to give you "correct" or optimum SAG that's why they call it "auto" this is one of the best things they did!
ECU measures the output from the swingarm sensors front and rear and preloading the rear spring up to 20mm that will level the bike for optimum handling.
Sag should be the same regardless of the bike load.
If you set it to MIN setting the back of the bike will sit low and the bike steers a lot slower and which will affect handling and slow speed manoeuvres .

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

I've a 71 Plate GSA and kept getting spring strut faults displaying when on auto and Mrs accompanying me. Dealer had it in and confirmed the motor which adjusts the suspension isn't strong enough to raise the suspension when sat on the bike when two up so suggested I set the suspension to max before we get on. Works well for me, good height and no more spring strut warnings.

I've a 71 Plate GSA and kept getting spring strut faults displaying when on auto and Mrs accompanying me. Dealer had it in and confirmed the motor which adjusts the suspension isn't strong enough to raise the suspension when sat on the bike when two up so suggested I set the suspension to max before we get on. Works well for me, good height and no more spring strut warnings.

Mmmm. That doesn't sound right to me.. the whole point of the system is to automatically adjust itself I thought to the load on the bike. Or is the dealer suggesting set it to max, let it raise, then get on the bike and set to auto before riding off?

wife on or not, i leave mine in auto and just ride.

ive been all over, including over passes such as applecross (bealach na ba) and the bike was flawless with a pillion on.

auto does what its meant too.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention thats fully loaded with a weeks camping gear too, full panniers, box and tent awning etc on top of box!

I gave always been advised to circle the suspension settings through thier cycle auto high low etc every few weeks so that things keep free and don't seize up.

Don't know how true this is but have continued with it on all my gs's and never had a problem

A known issue in small numbers, the motor is a bit weak. Easily but not cheaply fixed with a TT shock or speak to DenzO on this forum to see if he has a fix.

HI GUYS
The fault code will only show when the system detects overload more then 5Amp! Only to protect the cables and ECU.
EPA normally works at 2.6-3.8Amps.
OEM EPA is strong enough to handle any load and full preload of the spring.
But only if there is no corrosion on or under the EPA sleve!!!
Tractive or Touratech motors and much stronger! This is a fact aprapobly overkill but always works.
What you should also know is that the spring preload doesn't change the spring rate only gives the ride height of the bike.
If the correct spring rate is used bike handles much better and don't need as much preload.
If anyone need fix something that dealers think is normal but is not I'm always here to help or advice.
I can also give full support for Tractive and Touratech suspension including recalls and warranty repairs.
Check out the picture.
When EPA is corroded or oxidized it takes tons of force to move the piston , this is very common on LC bikes.
5c9eff0305eb1659ae46d6cc744868f8.jpg
20220713_112046.jpg20220617_171056.jpg20220729_112424.jpg

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom