Taken On Water After A Stall

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sure this has been explained elsewhere but I can't find anything after searching.

Also this is theoretical. Let's say I was going to hit some green lanes and I got stuck in a rather deep puddle and stalled the bike whilst the exhaust was under water.

What would be the repair procedure to get it running again?

I have experience of this sort of thing in land rovers but have never had to do it to a GS. Just forward planning I guess!

IMG_20210104_141042_369.jpg

This did run again but we luckily had an ex Royal Engineer with us that day who'd spent half his life stripping and fixing them 😂

bigger question is did the intake ingest water, exhausts can be cleared by raising front end of bike or lowering rear to drain it out.
if it did breath water in, then plug(s) out and turn it over to try and clear, assuming it hasn't hydraulic locked and bent a rod. Check oil for water contamination also
On the other hand, If you are not talking about a proper off road bike, then with a GS, for example, you will find it is very hard to push to where you can get it recovered to have it fixed

Cue comments and endless tedious outrage about how a GS is a proper off road bike:D
:D:D

Cue comments and endless tedious outrage about how a GS is a proper off road bike:D
:D:D

I mean, I have posted this question in the 1250 GS part of the forum so that is probably a giveaway as to what bike I'm talking about.

Thanks for the advice though

Sure this has been explained elsewhere but I can't find anything after searching.

Also this is theoretical. Let's say I was going to hit some green lanes and I got stuck in a rather deep puddle and stalled the bike whilst the exhaust was under water.

What would be the repair procedure to get it running again?

I have experience of this sort of thing in land rovers but have never had to do it to a GS. Just forward planning I guess!

View attachment 294844

This did run again but we luckily had an ex Royal Engineer with us that day who'd spent half his life stripping and fixing them 😂
I would ask the chap who fitted the snorkle , it did not work . Best thing for 4x4s is a bomb.

Years ago on the Strata Florida,our friend stalled his Standard Gs in a very long deep puddle..
After pushing it out and a few electrical cleaning on dry land we went on our way.for a few hours off roading

Next day I noticed site glass was milky...
We went a garage,drained it out into an old flower bucket,bought some cheap oil,and drove home too Wiltshire from Aberystwyth

Attachments

• 20190518_161125.jpg
    20190518_161125.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190518_161559.jpg
    20190518_161559.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190519_091649.jpg
    20190519_091649.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 20
That's what I'm wanting to hear 👌

I've driven strata many times. It's a great lane. Never ridden it though.

I think my concern is less around really deep puddles because I just wouldn't attempt them and more about dropping the bike in something that is say knee deep......like most of the rivers on strata as it happens. When it's not been lashing it down that is. Seem some of those rivers over bonnets when it lashes it down the day before 😳

😳 I'm afraid we can't be friends 😂
I’m sure we could , sorry for the flippant remark but over the years of riding the Strata and working on repair parties I have seen so much damage done by 4 x 4 vehicles wandering away from the lane and destroying banks and water crossings This is by a few idiots and not the majority, so please accept my apology.

I’m sure we could , sorry for the flippant remark but over the years of riding the Strata and working on repair parties I have seen so much damage done by 4 x 4 vehicles wandering away from the lane and destroying banks and water crossings This is by a few idiots and not the majority, so please accept my apology.
Accepted.

And I agree, as with most recreational pursuits. The few spoil it for the many. It's a shame really.

Probably a great opportunity to plug GLASS and responsible greenlaning......off roading is for private land only 😁

I mean, I have posted this question in the 1250 GS part of the forum so that is probably a giveaway as to what bike I'm talking about.

Thanks for the advice though
It was with a degree of irony although I wouldn’t take a gs on proper off road too big and heavy to pick up! Which tells you a lot about me skills off road!!
Are you in South Wales trf? Thriving with lots of rideouts might be worth a try

I don't know if your bike is the same but having experienced GSs being drowned in fording trips they usually have to drain the final drive oil because of water contamination too.

I don't know if your bike is the same but having experienced GSs being drowned in fording trips they usually have to drain the final drive oil because of water contamination too.
Yes had to do this after wading through flooded road also.

Back
Top Bottom