Temperature Sensor Misreading

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Left home at 6:45am and the temp display read 1.5C...true enough it felt that cold, ice warning displayed etc. Got 5 miles into my journey and it was reading 9C...now I dont live 4 miles above sea level, nor is my destination of Northolt balmy enough for it to read 8C on arrival and hour later! Anyhow, return journey started off at 3C and within 5 miles or so it read 6C. Got back to Putney and it was saying it was a blamy 8C. Stopped off at Sainsburys (no posh Waitrose on my route). After 15 minutes it then read 6C until I got home.
Clearly not a biggie, but def inaccurate. What else is reading from that sensor though? Are the other sensors also out? will a 911 show this? Curious

On the R1200R, the IAT sensor sits in the bottom of the airbox, rather than upstream in the intake snorkels, so I guess it will be subjected to an element of heat soak from the engine when in traffic.

On the R1200R, the IAT sensor sits in the bottom of the airbox, rather than upstream in the intake snorkels, so I guess it will be subjected to an element of heat soak from the engine when in traffic.
Aren't you confusing the intake air temp sensor with the ambient temp sensor? The OP's post is about the latter.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Just ridden up to reading on an empty m4 and it went from 1.5 to 5 then stayed there about. Weitd

Aren't you confusing the intake air temp sensor with the ambient temp sensor? The OP's post is about the latter.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
My bad ... thanks.

Seems the AATS plugs in under the headlight somewhere - I see talk of the sensor not being correctly located, dangling by the wires even, but can't get a fix for the OP.

Maybe have a hunt around for location & clean up the sensor. OE replacements are c£49, but doubtless better deals are out there if you shop around.

Never had the temperature sensor fail but my oil level sensor packed up recently on the RS. Not bothered as I check the sight glass but I know that this sensor is prone to failing as many others have experienced the same so I'm not throwing money to bmw to replace it just for the replacement to go the same way. A bit like the early LC fuel level strips which frequently failed.

Back
Top Bottom