Tent - Info for trip around Southen africa

Carts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I'm after a bit of info, I'm looking to do my own tour of Sothern Africa, shipping my bike into Cape Town August this year

I'm not looking to go to far of pist… to do a loop anti clockwise Cape town up to Kenya then back via Zambia, Botswana & Namibia

…..looking for recommendation for tents, not looking to camp a lot but wont the comfort of having the option

Looking for suggestion on new tents with

Size 2 man

Light neutral color

2 x Side opening, to allow breeze through

Inner up 1st, think the inner would make a good mosquito net for in accommodation

thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
Question one: How much (or how little) are you looking to spend?

Arguably, Hilleberg make amongst the best tents around, offering them in the sandy colour you want. But, they are not cheap! That being said, assuming it’s in half decent condition when you come back, you can sell it, to recoup some of the cost.

Which model Hilleberg is best? Hilleberg list no less than 16 two-man tents in their range. Everyone has their favourite and some people, more than one. Chose the one YOU like best.

Alternatively, take a leaf out of Austin Vince’s book, ditch the tent and sleep under a poncho.

Last edited:
Not all of these are two man. But, if nothing else, it shows just how many makes, styles and prices of tents there are out there:

More information:

And that’s just a brief sample. As I said, everyone will have their favourite, between huge tents that you can put a motorcycle in, the one they used once for one night in a campsite near Ipswich, the rugged explorers of Iceland, the comfort camper, the bod who didn’t want to spend more than £20…..

Hi Richard

thanks, happy to spend the money on a good tent. I think it’s an investment and if your using it a lot the little fetchers of a quality tent are work it.

and no I don’t want one to cover bike. Will take a separate bike cover. I can use this then if i need to cover bike in other situation

I will have a look at your list. Sometimes more selection just makes things more confusing

Take a look at this retailer. Lots of light and very small pack size tents.
I have an MSR Freelite 2 for solo backpacking and there is plenty of room for me, 6’2”, and my pack etc.
I would be very happy with this in my bike luggage for occasional use. It’ll probably have a good resale value too being a quality brand.

If you want an investment for long term use, then Hilleburg is a very strong contender. I guess the sandy colour tents are less popular, when it comes to re-sale time? But, compared with many, it can be a significant outlay.

The tent suggested in post #5, comes in the colour you want and is perhaps half the price (or more) of a two-man Hilleberg.

IMG_4858.jpeg

Last edited:
If MSR tents do take your fancy have a look here while they’ve got a sale on and are offering decent discounts.

Personally I’d be looking at something that pitches inner first then you can use it as a free standing tent using the inner and pegging out only the groundsheet but if you get bad weather you’ve got the option of adding the outer to keep dry and give you additional storage.

Hilleberg tents are easy to separate between their outers and inners and, more importantly, just as easy to rejoin.

Bloody hell, they should give me a job selling them.

Hi

I'm after a bit of info, I'm looking to do my own tour of Sothern Africa, shipping my bike into Cape Town August this year

I'm not looking to go to far of pist… to do a loop anti clockwise Cape town up to Kenya then back via Zambia, Botswana & Namibia

…..looking for recommendation for tents, not looking to camp a lot but wont the comfort of having the option

Looking for suggestion on new tents with

Size 2 man

Light neutral color

2 x Side opening, to allow breeze through

Inner up 1st, think the inner would make a good mosquito net for in accommodation

thoughts
Hi Carts

This doesn’t answer your specific question (sorry!) but my £0.02:

Having done that loop from Johannesburg November before last via Mozambique/Zim/Botswana and a bigger loop previously as shown in my avatar, I personally would not be in a rush to camp….and having brought a tent on one loop and not used it (other than a failed attempt when the flies drove me crazy), I stopped bringing it with me.

All the best for your trip!

We did a Southern Africa loop 12 years (fuck me time flies) - Cape Town - Namibia - Zambia - Botswana - SA - and back to CT. Anyway we lugged a tent and associated camping gear all the way round and camped once. Lots of cheap places to stay everywhere. Expensive ones too if/when you want some lux.

But, if you must, we now have a (3man) Big Agnes Copper Spur UL bikepacker. Or whatever it is. Designed for cyclists so very small pack size (poles ca 30cm lengths) and ultra lightweight. Easy up mesh inner first. Well made. 3 man spacious for two so two man probably ideal for one.

This is it. I got mine mail order from a place in Watford.

Not really an answer to your question, but when we were touring around a bit of South Africa the risk of bush camping was too great, as in the locals not the wildlife and that secure camp grounds were the way too go. We ended up just camping a couple of times, both places had security tooled up with AK47's.

Hi all

very interesting post about accommodation. The idea of a tent was a fallback kind of belt and braces. my real preference would be not to take a tent as just more weight on bike especially if you then have ground sheet and sleeping bag.

will sleep on your thoughts having done the trip and not camped.
thanks for your feedback

😀

Hi all

very interesting post about accommodation. The idea of a tent was a fallback kind of belt and braces. my real preference would be not to take a tent as just more weight on bike especially if you then have ground sheet and sleeping bag.

thanks for your feedback

😀
Sounds like a poncho is far more fit for your needs from the sounds of things. Nice and lightweight and packed away in a small space and can be used to cover the bike if youre not using it for yourself.

Personally I’d be looking at something that pitches inner first then you can use it as a free standing tent using the inner and pegging out only the groundsheet but if you get bad weather you’ve got the option of adding the outer to keep dry and give you additional storage.
Great plan until it comes to pitching in the rain :blast

However, OP is talking about a trip to Africa. Mind you, the worst rain storm I've ever been in was in Zimbabwe...

Hi all

thanks for your feedback

😀
Having lived down there for 5 years - and ridden Cape Town to Vic Falls and Nairobi to Cape Town - my view would be forget the tent. The number of places where you can and would be willing to camp will be few and fr between. Most southern African countries are surprisingly short of good wild camping locations.

Great plan until it comes to pitching in the rain :blast

However, OP is talking about a trip to Africa. Mind you, the worst rain storm I've ever been in was in Zimbabwe...
I’ve pitched my Quasar inner first in torrential rain and it’s not bad. The trick is to turn the inner upside down while you thread the poles then use the outer to supply some shelter while you put the poles into their holes.

The worst I’ve had required me to dry the floor inside with a T shirt :D

I’ve pitched my Quasar inner first in torrential rain and it’s not bad. The trick is to turn the inner upside down while you thread the poles then use the outer to supply some shelter while you put the poles into their holes.

The worst I’ve had required me to dry the floor inside with a T shirt :D
Je pose ma valise...
😉

Ponchos have their merits, but for Southern Africa I'd prefer something that I could zip up to keep the wildlife out. Plenty of spiders scorpions and snakes, and while they are not really out to get you, you will sleep better knowing they can't!

I'd also be thinking of the light-proof qualities, unless you want to get up very early every morning.

The overall advice between this thread and the parallel one, is:

Forget the tent

Forget the bike cover

Chuck away most of the other stuff

Take the spare tyres instead

Back
Top Bottom