Touring Tool Kit Idea

In all the years of running Wapping Wanders, I only ever saw one flat motorbike battery.

That was in the underground garage of the Poste hotel in Bouillon. Our hero had left his mobile phone attached to the bike overnight. Whether this was because he forgot it or because he wanted to charge it, I forget. It matters not.

I borrowed some jump leads from the hotel’s owner and we were off again within 30 minutes.

Moral of the story….. Do not flatten your own battery.

sorry I should have been clearer on that point:

'as a last resort if all our other usb battery packs are flat i.e. in an emergency if we break down and both phones have died'

extremely unlikely I know but good to have the option if required :)

You’ll need two spare phones, to cover the phones, too.

Namely 1x R1250 GSA and 1x F850 GS Sport

All you can reasonably do by the roadside for those is change fuses, stick on bits that have fallen off, or fix punctures.

So a good tyre plug kit and mini compressor, duct tape, fuses and zip ties should be more than sufficient.

That was in the underground garage of the Poste hotel in Bouillon. Our hero had left his mobile phone attached to the bike overnight. Whether this was because he forgot it or because he wanted to charge it, I forget. It matters not.

Moral of the story….. Do not flatten your own battery.
Similar to those souls who omit to deactivate their bike/car alarm on ferries (especially the longer ones like Ply-Santander) and then wonder why their bike/car won't start.

And the fellow whose entire family were watching films on powered iPads, whilst dad played around with his infotainment screen, for the duration of the Chunnel crossing, flattening his car battery in the process. What a joy to wait whilst the slave battery pack arrived.

If you have a job to do on the bike first use your bike tool kit. You will soon find out what you haven't got and what you need to get.
The other side of this advice is that it is not so easy to work out when you have too many tools in your bike tool kit.
If you have tubeless tyres then I can't see a need to carry tyre levers.

tom

I haven't read the entire thread but I got one of those Wera Tool Check Plus doodahs as it's quite small and has most Torx bits for my 1250. Took a couple of extra bits/sockets just in case, some pliers, cable ties, puncture repair kit (no CO2) and a chargable inflator and thats it.

This year I had to use some of the tools as a friends rack lost a bolt and we needed to improvise, it came in handy again to remove another friends battery from his bike, the puncture repair kit came in handy in Scotland earlier this year as did the inflator. I did consider more but honestly the likelihood of me using anything beyond what I have already is quite slim.......hopefully.

How about Gorilla Tape instead of gaffer tape. I saw a recommendation on a cycling YouTube which suggested a few wraps of tape around a tube was useful as it can be unwrapped and re-used, and it's apparently more sticky and more waterpoof than most other tapes

A few nuts, screws and bolts can be handy - as I discovered after losing the tip of a gear lever and finding a bashplate getting loose. Sizing of course is bit of a lottery.

I went the lazy way, and bought (second hand but unused, and off this forum!) the "standard" BMW toolkit:
Also a mini compressor, which I hacked off the cigar socket plug, and added two crocodile clips that now attach to the terminals behind the side panel.
Also a plugger kit (I carry a stop n go with mushrooms, a mate carries the "strings" version)
and a swiss army knife with the most essential kit - corkscrew and crown-cork bottle opener, The knife for getting into salamis :) Mini scissors for cutting my nails, couple of cable ties (they keep getting used!) and some insulation tape. Also a length of strong string that doubles as a washing line (could even be a short-term tow rope)
Another toolkit option - Euro breakdown cover (currently BMW assist, but something else next time)
The toolkit has been used a few times on recent Euro tours, and has proved satisfactory so far!

How about Gorilla Tape instead of gaffer tape. I saw a recommendation on a cycling YouTube which suggested a few wraps of tape around a tube was useful as it can be unwrapped and re-used, and it's apparently more sticky and more waterpoof than most other tapes

I wrap gorilla tape around a bunch of cable ties. Fits in the tool roll elastic thingies nicely that way too.

A few nuts, screws and bolts can be handy - as I discovered after losing the tip of a gear lever and finding a bashplate getting loose. Sizing of course is bit of a lottery.

Glad I did this a few years ago, riding my Buell to east Germany. The underslung silencer was determined to unshackle itself and roam free among the fatherland. It laughed at locknuts, disposing of them in rapid succession. Fortunately I had enough with me to persuade it to stick around for the entire trip! :D

As I am sitting at home with a ruptured Achilles, I have given it some thought.

Is it safe to assume that you have no tool kit at home, that you can lift a few tools out of?

If so, why not start to build one, based on something sensible? When you have looked at your bike and worked out the (really very few) tools you’ll need, then take yourself to Halfords or look online and buy yourself the best version of the tool you can realistically afford. Why? They might well last you a lifetime and will definitely last well beyond the duration of your next holiday. You don’t need to spend a fortune buying the ‘Professional’ range, just something good enough to spanner away on the very few times you’ll actually really need to do something.

This fellow listed about everything for a 1200 GS. It’s bloody overkill but he is American. You can though look at it, as the bike is pretty much the same (tool wise) as any other in the BMW range. Then, from his long list, pick the few things you actually need.

As a very simple example, I have a good quality Snap-On (probably stolen) screwdriver I found being flogged locally for peanuts. It is nothing more than a decent handle and two screwdriver blades, each with a different head at each end. The four heads cover every screw I am likely to find on any bike at the roadside or at home. Being one handle and two blades, it takes up less room than your T-thing and all those little bits in their plastic cases, the bulk of which you’ll never use. Find yourself something similar.

From memory, the only odd Torx bolt on my 1200’s was the male Torx, which clamped the gear lever onto its spline, all the other bolts were female Torx, I think. Why did BMW use a male headed Torx bolt there? I have no idea. I swapped the male Torx bolt out and the world kept turning.

Remember, that necessity is often the mother of invention. I snapped the left hand mirror off my 1200 GSA in Spain. Riding on the right, means that the left mirror is important, when overtaking. The mirror arm was OK and the glass / round glass holder was OK. But I had no easy means to join them….. I pinched a fork from a restaurant (I’ll go to hell, I’m sure) and gaffer taped the fork handle to the stem. The round glass holder I gaffer taped to the prongs of the fork, they being the perfect curved shape. It worked and got me home. No tools involved, as such.

:beerjug:
That's a top bodgeologist piece of work with the fork; you could confuse the guy more by telling him a table spoon may well have worked also; :D :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom