Transferring Routes from Basecamp to a 660/Nav IV

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am a newbie to all of this, put have created some routes on Basecamp with a view to transferring them to my NavIV. I fear that I may be doing something wrong, so am hoping someone will give me some simple pointers. the routes that I created were a mixture of simple A to B routes and some bigger (200+km long circular routes). So....

a) I save the routes I create into a list/folder in My Collections called 'Saved Routes'.

b) The routes were originally done created in 2013.4. When I updated my maps to 2014.10 and had selected 2014.10 as my map of choice in basecamp, I opened each route and pressed the recalculate button and then checked the route out for gliches. Is that what you are meant to do?

c) With everything okay, I then looked to transfer a selection of the routes to my NAV IV. Even though I had selected only one of the routes saved in my "Saved Routes' list, when I selected the 'Transfer' dropdown menu, the only option I was given was to transfer ALL of the routes in the selected list, i.e. all of the routes in 'Saved Routes".

d) Having checked the Garmin online help page, it seemed that I could drag and drop, from Basecamp to the device. I tried that, but it did not seem to put anything on my Nav IV when I checked that.

e) So I created another folder/list called "Files to Transfer" and put the 3 routes I wanted to transfer in that list. I then used the Transfer drop down menu to transfer to my Nav IV. it did not work! Nothing visible on my Nav IV

f) So I then tried the transfer again, but transferred to the SD Card in my Nav IV, not to the built in memory on the Nav IV. This seemed to work, although I got a message that the routes were created in a different map version to that on the device and asking if I wanted to recalculate. I said yes, even though it was 2014.10 on both device and Basecamp!

g) Disconnected my Nav IV and searched for the routes and I got a message saying new data had been detected and did I want to import. I said yes, and the 3 routes were imported.

h) this took some time (because it was going to the SD card and not the device??) and I then checked the routes and they were all ok.

So, what was I doing wrong? What was I doing right? And what could I have done better? Thanks for any help

File type? Without checking, you are either saving as gpx or gdb the sat nav can't seeonly one type, can't remember which one without doing it. So if you make a small route save as one type see if arrives, if yes bingo if not save again as other type and try again and it should be there.

File type? Without checking, you are either saving as gpx or gdb the sat nav can't seeonly one type, can't remember which one without doing it. So if you make a small route save as one type see if arrives, if yes bingo if not save again as other type and try again and it should be there.
At the risk of opening myself up to ridicule, my understanding is that you do not actually 'save' a route in Basecamp. It is saved automatically. So where do you have the option to choose a format?
i tried highlighting a saved route and clicking "Get Info" but cannot see a filename or file type listed anywhere

Ah sorry then no help as I use mapsource but the problem is no doubt to do with file type.

But I must be missing something if you open basecamp and then click on Device and you have the option to transfer to or from device that is the normal way of transferring routes or getting tracks from device

Currently playing with my Nav 4 and have you checked in the import data in MyData file? They seem to end up there sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom