Turkey, March 2006

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
attachment.php

Seeing Pipe and Slippers' pic (above) of Cappadocia in the 'Show us Yours' forum, reminded me that there's an eclipse scheduled for March 2006. Part of the route of the eclipse goes through the Konya - Keyseri area of Cappadocia.

Could be an interesting excuse to visit a fascinating part of Turkey, complete with trogloditic houses, underground cities and early Churches carved from the soft rock.

Tim

It'll be to busy if there's an eclipse.

Anyone fancy 2005 instead?

Iain

I've seen details of some tourist type trips that will view the eclipse on the coast around Antalya/Side which according to weather sites should be around 19C at the end of March (29 Mar 06).

The interior is more likely to be around 13C and fairly empty. Suddenly it sounds less appealing now, especially riding down through a potentially bleak Europe.

Tim

Total eclipse: 29 March 2006

2006.jpg

Ten months on and I'm still thinking of this. One option is to view the eclipse in Turkey. The interior could well be cold but the coast should be warmish. No problems with visa/carnet but not the ideal time of the year to visit.

The other option is to view the eclipse in Libya. Boat from Marseille or Genoa to Tunisia, then ride along coast to Libya. Weather much warmer. Need invitation to get a visa, then organise a carnet, then probably need a guide. Probably not economically viable for one person, needs a small group.

More details here. Any thoughts?

Tim

could meet up i am going down to wadi rum march 06 no rushing around though got time off

A friend of mine has a lovely villa for rent between Antalya and Side if anyone is interested. 3 bedrooms all with balconies, air conditioning and a pool.

Mike

Nicer route

araspitfire said:
How many days to ride from Western Europe to that area of Turkey?

Al...

you could consider is riding to Ancona in Eastern Italy, taking the fast ferry overnight to Igoumenitsa in Greece http://www.greekferries.gr/
and riding accross Greece to Turkey. Eastw3ards then cross over to Canakkale (only about 20 mins) - puts you in a good position to visit the ruins of Troy(amongst others) if you like ancient historic ruins-
Great views, great roads, not much traffic, tasty barbecues etc etc
This would cut out colder Europe/Hungary/Romania/Bulgaria
Just a thought. pm if you need more info.
Enjoy whatever road you take. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom