Using Garmin Express & Map Install

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
this the .pdf sent to R200GSA by Garmin. hopefully it will help with the routine chaos of updating our mapping.

i'll be trying it out in the next few days :mmm

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

In order to install the mapping to the device and SD/SDHC Card, you will
need to use Garmin Express.

This simple application will enable you to update and manage the unit
from one location. Attached is a step by step image guide that will help
you download and install this to your Windows computer.

Before you start please ensure you have the device connected to the
computer via a USB cable.

1. Click http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
2. Click Download for Windows
3. Click Run
4. Click Run
5. Accept the terms then click Install
6. Click Launch
7. Click Skip Tour
8. Enter your email address then save device
9. Select the update available
10. Agree to the terms and conditions then select Install Now
11. Click ?Select a region?
12. Click continue
13. Select the desired region, we recommend UK & Ireland
14. Click Device and change to Device and Computer
15. Click continue
16. The updates will now be installed to the device and the computer

Now the maps have installed you have UK & Ireland only on the device and
Full Coverage of Europe on your computer. You will need to follow the
attached guide from page 16 in order to install the rest of the maps to
the SD/SDHC Card.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here:
http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

1-XL.png

2-XL.png

3-XL.png

4-XL.png

5-XL.png

6-XL.png

7-XL.png

8-XL.png

9-XL.png

10-XL.png

11-XL.png

12-XL.png

13-XL.png

14-XL.png

15-XL.png

16-XL.png

17-XL.png

18-XL.png

19-XL.png

20-XL.png

21-XL.png

22-XL.png

So, at the risk of someone telling me to read the f***ing post from Garmin again, are Garmin recommmending that you load a small selection of the mapping directly to the device (Nav IV) and then load all the maps, or at least the ones that you did not load on to the device, to the SD card that is in the device. And then finally, load ALL the maps to Basecamp.

Has anyone done this? (splitting the maps between the device's internal memory and the SD card?

I currently have all the Europe maps on the SD card, as that was the "recommended" option when running Garmin. But they (Garmin) seem to be recommending somehing different in the above advice.

This may explain why I currently am experiencing occasional delays in the maps on the screen refreshing as you move from one map tile to the next. It is even more pronounced if I am also listening to music which is also stored on the SD card, which suggests that the device struggles to get the info quick enough from the SD card into the device.

I tried putting a higher quality, faster bit rate, SD card in the device (having copied the contents of the original SD card to it) but could not see any improvement. Which suggests that the data bottleneck is it the device and its ability to extract data from the SD card.

Or have I misunderstood the original post and am consequently talking bollocks?

Has anyone done this? (splitting the maps between the device's internal memory and the SD card?

Yes.

I loaded the UK and eastern France onto a 550 and the Low Countries onto an SD card.

The device ran fine, with no hesitation.

I do not run music files on the device.

To be frank, I have come to the conclusion that if I am not going to Finland, I do not need intimate street mapping of Helsinki. Similarly, if I am heading to Inverness (unlikely) I will not need maps of Greece or Portugal. This earth shuttering realisation came about as I was selecting paper maps to go to Luxembourg from Calais. Without a care in the world I put my maps of Turkey away.

Paul
You are correct and it does work OK - the delay is the amount of data not where it is kept.....

I did a similar thing but used MapUpdater to do the initial UK and Ireland mapping to the Device AND the Mac (this is because I use Basecamp and without this download you end up using a different map in Basecamp to make your routes unless the Zumo is plugged in - in which case it then works off the device Maps authorisation....)

I then went to MapInstaller and added the tiles I wanted. The process is allot quicker than adding all of Western Europe at once and the Map tile transfer of the areas I really wanted was less than 15 minutes.

Its a faff but it is probably better - and as already said somewhere else - eventually the Garmin Express will be the one stop shop for any computer /mac or device upgrade - just going to take time to get there.

Rik

Paul
You are correct and it does work OK - the delay is the amount of data not where it is kept.....

I did a similar thing but used MapUpdater to do the initial UK and Ireland mapping to the Device AND the Mac (this is because I use Basecamp and without this download you end up using a different map in Basecamp to make your routes unless the Zumo is plugged in - in which case it then works off the device Maps authorisation....)

I then went to MapInstaller and added the tiles I wanted. The process is allot quicker than adding all of Western Europe at once and the Map tile transfer of the areas I really wanted was less than 15 minutes.

Its a faff but it is probably better - and as already said somewhere else - eventually the Garmin Express will be the one stop shop for any computer /mac or device upgrade - just going to take time to get there.

Rik
Rik

Thanks for that. As I already have the maps for the whole of Europe on my SD card, do I now just copy the tiles I use every day to the Nav IV using MapInstaller? Or is there a problem with having the same info on both the Nav IV and the SD card, or does the Nav IV cope with this? And, if it does cause a problem, how do I delete the maps I put on the Nav IV from the SD card?

If they are on the SD card no need to do anything the Unit will find them. The process is seemless. But if you have updated maps of all of Europe on the unit you dont need to put anything on the SD card as the maps are already there. With the Garmin Express system it will overwrite the maps if there is room on the device it only places maps on the SD card (as an option) if there is not enough space on the unit.

Another thing to try is when you are connected to MapInstaller on one of the screens it will tell you that there is XXXmb of unrecognised data - then it asks if you want to fix this - by pressing yes it gets rid of stuff you are not using nor need.

If it gets rid of a voice or language you sometimes use you can always go back on to Garmin Express and under Advanced section you can choose what you want to download as regard vehicle images and voices etc.

I know its complicated using several different programmes but you soon suss out which is best for what.....

Rik

If they are on the SD card no need to do anything the Unit will find them. The process is seemless. But if you have updated maps of all of Europe on the unit you dont need to put anything on the SD card as the maps are already there. With the Garmin Express system it will overwrite the maps if there is room on the device it only places maps on the SD card (as an option) if there is not enough space on the unit.

Another thing to try is when you are connected to MapInstaller on one of the screens it will tell you that there is XXXmb of unrecognised data - then it asks if you want to fix this - by pressing yes it gets rid of stuff you are not using nor need.

If it gets rid of a voice or language you sometimes use you can always go back on to Garmin Express and under Advanced section you can choose what you want to download as regard vehicle images and voices etc.

I know its complicated using several different programmes but you soon suss out which is best for what.....

Rik
Yes, I have all the maps on the SD card because that was the "recommended" option when updating the maps with Garmin Express. But when travelling, as you pass from one one map tile to the other, there is a gap/pause as the data/map on the screen is refreshed. It can be seemless, but especially when in cities (where there is a lot of data to upload) and when I am playing music (which is also on the SD card) the delay in refreshing the screen can be quite long.

That was why I was wondering if I should have the maps for Germany (where I am currently living) and surrounding area mounted on the Nav IV as well. Then, when the screen is refreshing, the device is not having to pull the maps from the SD card.

But, having loaded all the maps onto the SD card, I am not sure how I should go about putting the selected maps onto the Nav IV as well

When downloading tiles via MapInstaller it doesnt give you a destination to download to (not that I know anyway but I am not the most technical) it only gives you the total available space to download to.

I have to be honest though that via the Garmin Express program it was capable to put all of Western Europe onto Zumo (without using SD space) first off. It seems to have a better way of collating the data to make it all fit first time.

My problem came when I wanted to get the same maps on Zumo and Basecamp - for this I had to use MapUpdater and then the system for some reason cannot find the space - my assumption is that the MapUpdater program puts the updated maps on the unit and card first THEN proceeds to delete the old maps so then you end up with the space free?? Someone more technical than me might be able to confirm it.

Rik

I think that you are correct with that last comment: I downloaded the new 2014.10 update to my Nuvi 3490 using Garmin Express. All seemed well and the download/update seemed to work. But when I went to use/check the device, there were no maps on it at all. Not the 2014.10 update, nor the previous 2013.40 maps. So I assume that the updater in Garmin Express does indeed delete the previous maps and then upload the new maps onto the device.

When updating my Nav IV I used MapInstaller as I wanted to put the maps on both my Nav IV and into Basecamp on my computer. MapInstaller told me that I did not have enough space on my Nav IV for the update and 'recommended" that I download the update to the SD card in the Nav IV.

Over the weekend, when I am calm and relaxed, I will try to download the 2014.10 maps, or at least a selection of them, to my Nav IV

Nice tutorial cookie, I think for the first time I have updated my pc and 660 with no hitches and in less than an hour :clap

i wish i could say the same :mad:

all seemed well until i switched the 660 back on, then i got an error "can't unlock maps".

according to garmin support, a couple of files were not transferred across with the maps. they emailed them to me with instructions to place them in a non existent folder on the unit. not wanting another 35 minutes wasted while they answered the phone, i guessed where they should go and all seems good.

all in, it took 4 hours of pissing about. IIRC that is an hour or so less than last time, so i guess i could call it a resounding success.

i won't though :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom