Using iMac screen/keyboard for MacBook Pro

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know it used to be possible to use pre 2015 iMac’s as an external monitor in Target mode, but that was dropped on more recent macs.

I have a 2017 iMac and a 2020 MacBook Pro, and I think there is now, with Monterey, a way to use the iMac monitor and keyboard to run the MacBook.

Does anyone know if that’s possible, and if so, how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emulation mode, or remote access tools never tried it.... but should work..

but the question would be why bother, it'll just slow the thing down and will probably crash...

just buy a 4k screen and universal keyboard and mouse...

emulation mode, or remote access tools never tried it.... but should work..

but the question would be why bother, it'll just slow the thing down and will probably crash...

just buy a 4k screen and universal keyboard and mouse...

No room to add another monitor.

While I’m here, same question for a Mac Mini.

I could physically cable the MacBook to the iMac, but not the Mac Mini.

the machines do not need to be near each other, I can dial into machines we control in australia for exmaple... so screen emulation or team viewer gives you access to the other device on a shared basis... you need set up preferences to account for firewalls etc... but it's all doable.... the iMac screen is not a separate unit it's hard wired into the system so you can't use the screen as screen without anything else... so I very much doubt that work even with a KVM

if you have a new screen add a virtual KVM (keyboard video Mouse) switcher move the iMac to some other place and have your desk as a remote access point for everything you do.... abit like an MCR aka bridge (media control room)

probably best to workout what you want to do draw a wire diargram cos it's easier that than set this up on the fly.... there heaps of networking remote access stuff avaiable riedel is good but mega money... hence best to have a plan

the machines do not need to be near each other, I can dial into machines we control in australia for exmaple... so screen emulation or team viewer gives you access to the other device on a shared basis... you need set up preferences to account for firewalls etc... but it's all doable.... the iMac screen is not a separate unit it's hard wired into the system so you can't use the screen as screen without anything else... so I very much doubt that work even with a KVM

if you have a new screen add a virtual KVM (keyboard video Mouse) switcher move the iMac to some other place and have your desk as a remote access point for everything you do.... abit like an MCR aka bridge (media control room)

probably best to workout what you want to do draw a wire diargram cos it's easier that than set this up on the fly.... there heaps of networking remote access stuff avaiable riedel is good but mega money... hence best to have a plan

Yeah, sounds good. Really I want to know if I can do something like target disk mode.

Don't know if this will work, it used to.

Plug the computers together using fastest electric string method compatible to both.

Switch on MBP holding the T down through boot up. (Obvs that if this doesn't work any longer, this won't work.

When switching on the iMac, hold the D button down and during boot up should let you choose which disk to boot from.

Disclaimer: The last time I played around with Macs doing this sort of thing was with Tiger and Leopard so I'm not sure it will work. However, there are enough forums around to dip into for some help. I'd try a computer one rather than a motorbike one. :thumb :D

You can start the MBP in Startup mode.

Go to System Prefs. Then to Startup disk and chose to start up in Target Disk Mode. It even says, you can link it using Thunderbolt and connect to computer as hard disk. Then try holding the D on start up I described above.

Or, connect the MBP in Target disk mode, then got to Sys Prefs on the iMac, into Startup Disk, then choose the MBP disk to start up on reboot. I'd try it myself, but the only other machine I have handy is a G4 Cube and whilst it's working, there's no way the link up is going to work.

By the way, you have to Turn Off File Vault for Target Disk Mode to work. Just in case you're using it.

remote desktop.

or this

https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay/

luna works well. I use an ipad to control a PC.

I think remote desk top may work. I’ve managed to get it to work the wrong way round!

I.e I can see the iMac as a shared computer in the MacBook Pro, but not the other way around.

I did this by going into preferences>share and then ticking remote management, file share and a few others.

Is there a walk through guide anywhere on this? I followed the one on Apple Support but got the result above

You can start the MBP in Startup mode.

Go to System Prefs. Then to Startup disk and chose to start up in Target Disk Mode. It even says, you can link it using Thunderbolt and connect to computer as hard disk. Then try holding the D on start up I described above.

Or, connect the MBP in Target disk mode, then got to Sys Prefs on the iMac, into Startup Disk, then choose the MBP disk to start up on reboot. I'd try it myself, but the only other machine I have handy is a G4 Cube and whilst it's working, there's no way the link up is going to work.

By the way, you have to Turn Off File Vault for Target Disk Mode to work. Just in case you're using it.

Target Disk doesn’t work on newer Macs, unfortunately as that’s what I want to do.

Target Disk doesn’t work on newer Macs, unfortunately as that’s what I want to do.

Do you mean M1 Macs? I know mine isn't new (6yo) but the operating system is the same. I realise that M1 Macs are different, but I did find an article with a quick search on how to do it with them.

I think remote desk top may work. I’ve managed to get it to work the wrong way round!

I.e I can see the iMac as a shared computer in the MacBook Pro, but not the other way around.

I did this by going into preferences>share and then ticking remote management, file share and a few others.

Is there a walk through guide anywhere on this? I followed the one on Apple Support but got the result above

you dont need remote management, try screen sharing and file sharing.

Go on the imac, look in your network (side bar of finder), you will see the macbook pro there, click on it, you will get two options at the top right of the finder window, click screen sharing.

That is from the top of my head as I am not at my machine, and on a windows computer.

Weirdly, I see the IMac in the MacBook Pro finder window, but not the other way around.

I did manage to connect to the MacBook Pro using screen sharing from the iMac via network>MacBook Pro. This did work, but it doesn’t use the full size of the iMac screen, it just replicates the MacBook screen size.

So screen sharing would work, if I could get the display to use the 27” of iMac screen.

Back
Top Bottom