Waterproofing - Recommendations

Wegby

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

I bought an RST Adventure suit around a year ago (new version one I bought in 2014 which has pretty much worn out), and it's got to the stage where the outside could do with a bit of a clean.

I am, however, hesitant to put it on a cycle in the washing machine, as when I did this to my last one, it lost most of its waterproofing* and even a good dousing of Nikwax still allowed the ingress of water.

So, how does everyone else clean their kit? Is it the detergent, is the WM-cycle too intense for the original waterproofing, or is there something better than Nikwax out there that I've not encountered yet?

Grateful for recommendations and thanks all in advance.

* these suits also have a waterproof liner, which doesn't go through the wash; technically the outer-skin is more shower-resistant, but I definitely noticed a drop-off in performance after the first wash on my old kit.

Wash in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, usually abbreviated to RTFM.

Nikwax, likewise.

Failing that, there’s lots of videos and websites on how to do it, my mate says.

Wash in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, usually abbreviated to RTFM.

Nikwax, likewise.

Manual? You expect people to read manuals, when we have at our hands the font of wisdom that is UKGSER? ;)

Following the Nikwax instructions for Tech Proof doesn't work well with bike jackets.
Use the Tech Wash first as per instructions.
Use the Tech Proof washing by hand and a short cold rinse.

I generally use a tumble dryer in low heat to allow the material fine fibres to stand up.
Then hang up outside and use a spray bottle with Tech Proof in it until it's completely wetted out and allow to dry.

Works for me. :)

Following the Nikwax instructions for Tech Proof doesn't work well with bike jackets.
Use the Tech Wash first as per instructions.
Use the Tech Proof washing by hand and a short cold rinse.

I generally use a tumble dryer in low heat to allow the material fine fibres to stand up.
Then hang up outside and use a spray bottle with Tech Proof in it until it's completely wetted out and allow to dry.

Works for me. :)

That ^^^^

Spray on tech proof or similar makes the difference.

As stated on the Nikwax bottle, run a full cycle on the empty washing washing machine - you will be surprised how frothy the water gets from the residual detergent. This residue is what may have stopped the Nikwax working properly last time, especially if you use fabric conditioner.

To save some pennies, Wilko do a "liquid soap flakes" which is pretty much what is in the Nikwax Wash bottle. I have used this to good effect when out of Nikwax.

I stick my TX Direct waterproofer in the fabric conditioner section, but I don't use fabric conditioner on a normal cycle and seem to get decent waterproofing as my recent ride to Shropshire exemplified. My machine has a special programme for Goretex & similar which I think just limits the temperature and spin speed.

Wessie's words are near enough exactly what it says on the Rukka care label.

I give the machine one run through empty on the hottest wash it will do and clean out the dispenser. then set to.

Any of the mild, non-bio washes will do, run on a hand wash cycle. TX Direct in the dispenser. No softener. Air dry on a good day. Always seems to work.

I also didnt run the machin empty.
Did the techwash and then the waterprofing and let air dry on the washing line.

It did work and waterproof my jacket, but i have to admit it didnt last very long.
Started leaking like a sieve after only wearing it a few times :(

Last time i hung my jacket dry over the line and soaked it with Fabsil, that worked better i usually only use that on my tents :)

The folks at Hideout Leather (brilliant manufacturers and repairers) suggested i use Grangers Wash and Grangers Repel as its more effective than Nikwax, they also suggested I use Repel on new clothes to give added performance. Amazon is the best place to buy.

Last time i hung my jacket dry over the line and soaked it with Fabsil, that worked better i usually only use that on my tents :)

I have a pair of Berghaus Deluge (SieveMaster!!) overtrousers which I blathered in Fabsil - it was all a bit kill or cure as they were useless. Now 100% more waterproof than when I bought them...:thumb2

I treat the outer jacket differently from the liner...

Outer jacket first gets washed as a 'normal' synthetic garment - but without any fabric softener. I do this because the Nikwax just doesn't actually seem to clean the outer jacket/trousers. Then I let it hang for a bit. During which time I run the machine empty as already mentioned, then I do the Techwash in the machine. I let that hang again until just damp. Then in a big tub with cold water I use the waterproofing liquid - get the garment soaked in it, let it stand for a good 10min, light rinse. Leave to hang, tumble dry. It sounds more of a parlava that it really is, but I've ended up with this method because I want to actually get some of the grime out of the fibres so it looks a little cleaner!

For the liner I run the machine on and enjoy cycle first. Then was as per Nikwax instructions. For the waterproofing stage, I do it by hand again, as above.

Having come back through Germany just over a week ago in horrendous rain for several hours, not a drop got in. So something is working!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Dont use normal detergent, they affect the goretex/waterproof membrane, any waterproof garment needs to be washed in simple soap, tech wash or dreft or similar.
clean or run washing machine I normally just clean the detergent tray first and run on a short cycle.
Run with the soap and leave to dry, then run with reproofer or spray on DWR spray, the niwax reproofer is just a liquid DWR it does not make the garment more waterproof but assists with the breathability and makes the outside of the garment hydro-phobic so it will dispel water.
If you want full waterproof back then any garment should be tumble dried at a low temp even if applying spray to otherwise dry garment, the heat of the dryer assists in activating the DWR and assists with the membrane to regain any waterproofing lost when the pores in the membrane "filled up" with road grime etc which is why you washed it in the first place

Thats not a fully technical explanation but it will do to explain the basic process

Dont use normal detergent, they affect the goretex/waterproof membrane, any waterproof garment needs to be washed in simple soap, tech wash or dreft or similar...

I think you should clarify that you're talking about the liner as opposed to the jacket/trouser outer.

I think you should clarify that you're talking about the liner as opposed to the jacket/trouser outer.

sorry certainly always the outer jacket, no detergent soap only, the inner it will depend upon if it has a waterproof/breathable membrane if so soap only. To be honest I just wash all my bike kit in either soap flakes or tech wash, means I dont make a mistake.

Strictly speaking it is chemicals in the detergents and fabric softener that cause issues with the DWR surface of the garment and inhibits is effectiveness, with a goretex type membrane (others of different name but similar design are available and affected) it is the fabric softener that causes the issue.

sorry certainly always the outer jacket, no detergent soap only, the inner it will depend upon if it has a waterproof/breathable membrane if so soap only. To be honest I just wash all my bike kit in either soap flakes or tech wash, means I dont make a mistake.

Strictly speaking it is chemicals in the detergents and fabric softener that cause issues with the DWR surface of the garment and inhibits is effectiveness, with a goretex type membrane (others of different name but similar design are available and affected) it is the fabric softener that causes the issue.
Totally agree. It's that flippin fabric softener!

If a drop is allowed to settle on my kitchen floor, it'll take the shine off it...

Thanks all. There's some really helpful info here.

If you spray on proofing liquid as a last stage, be careful with the overspray. I did it over a tiled floor and there is no slippier surface known to mankind than tiles with a nice layer of proofing spray. Nearly broke my neck.....

If you spray on proofing liquid as a last stage, be careful with the overspray. I did it over a tiled floor and there is no slippier surface known to mankind than tiles with a nice layer of proofing spray. Nearly broke my neck.....
Forgot about that. Good tip!

Back
Top Bottom