Well thats different

Very similar to the rear wheel on mine!

IMG_4191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that because you dont lean the bike at all?

do you get better wear than a conventional bike tyre ?

The sidecar is driven, to go round a bend you have turn the bars in the direction you want to go as opposed to counter steering.
The car tyre on the back provides better traction and longevity.
Only been riding/driving the sidecar for about 6 months after a motorcycle accident has left me with 2 weak ankles and a very weak leg.

Hope that has helped but let me know if there’s anything else!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed a Honda VTX 1300 solo for a few miles in the USA as it happened he pulled into the same rest stop as me.
I asked him about the car tyre he had on the back he replied " I get 5K miles out of a bike tire and I reckon I will get 50K miles out of this car tire."
I said what about bends / Curves .
He replied "Hell boy you don`t see many of those around these parts."
Fair comment I thought.

in the USA they seem to love "the upgrade" to car tyres on most bikes !!! - must make cornering for Solo bikes utterly lethal and cause death inducing weave - no wonder the federal gov used to keep speeds below 55mph

in the USA they seem to love "the upgrade" to car tyres on most bikes !!! - must make cornering for Solo bikes utterly lethal and cause death inducing weave - no wonder the federal gov used to keep speeds below 55mph
They call it "Going Darkside" in the US Custom Cruiser Bike World.
A few have done it over here, but apparently (apart from the obvious Cornering Issues it creates), it's illegal, an MOT Fail and renders your Insurance Null and Void.

Common place it would seem in the U.S. and I've heard of it (and seen it) on cruisers/big tourers over here but would never have imagined a car tyre being fitted to one of these......

Common place it would seem in the U.S. and I've heard of it (and seen it) on cruisers/big tourers over here but would never have imagined a car tyre being fitted to one of these......

Says the man whose avatar is riding…

Someone did a test some years and concluded that the contact patch was actually greater with a car tyre even when cornering and that it was perfectly safe even on a bike with no sidecar. I am not sure he was completely unbiased but people don't generally fit tyres to their bikes that are going to make them dangerous to ride so I think it may not be as bad an idea as some make out.

Fortnine did a vid on this subject:

thanks - so confirmed stupid dangerous and illegal and anyone doing it on public roads should be jailed

Back
Top Bottom