Wheel painting.. can you save the bearings?

They are Pukka. Bearings are stamped. Also has 14k feedback. Is not worth the hassle to use counterfeit, like all things in life , volume brings discount.

An example i use to work as an M&E manager 6 years ago and if i agreed to commit to a 1000 domestic 28kw combi boilers per annum i paid £475 plus vat from a well known manufacturer with a 7 year warranty.

The wheel bearings used by BMW is such a common size that pretty much every town that has a machine shop of some sort will have this common size in stock. And they come so cheap that it would be silly not to put in new ones.

No one is questioning using new ones. The question was can you take them out without damaging them. Forget what bike it was, but there was a cutout in the bearing bore, and you could push them out on the outer race.

If you have to use the inner they are scrap, end of.

I've just managed to scratch my valve cover as well today :blast so may get these and the wheels all done at the same time :)

Did you know bearings come in grades also :-

Grade......Sphericity [mm]........Lot diameter variation [mm].....Nominal ball diameter tolerance [mm].....Maximum surface roughness (Ra) [µm]
3..............0.00008...................0.00008....................................0.0008....................................................0.012
5..............0.00013...................0.00013....................................±0.0013..................................................0.02
10............0.00025...................0.00025...................................±0.0013...................................................0.025
25............0.0006.....................0.0006.....................................±0.0025...................................................0.051
50............0.0012.....................0.0012.....................................±0.0051...................................................0.076
100..........0.0025.....................0.0025.....................................±0.0127...................................................0.127
200..........0.005.......................0.005.......................................±0.025.....................................................0.203
1000........0.025.......................0.025.......................................±0.127

But for Motorbike we'd just use the std ones..... and beyond this you get the materials also... very interesting subject bearings :)

They also come in heat specific tolerances as well as far as I remember C5 being the highest temp range and will be greater in tolerance and will seem loose until it reaches its correct temperature operating range , ie wheel bearings and internal bearings have different specs even tho they look the same . For me I would always buy the best bearings as it’s false economy to cheap skate for the sake of a few quid.

No one is questioning using new ones. The question was can you take them out without damaging them. Forget what bike it was, but there was a cutout in the bearing bore, and you could push them out on the outer race.

If you have to use the inner they are scrap, end of.

I've just managed to scratch my valve cover as well today :blast so may get these and the wheels all done at the same time :)

When warming up the hub to 100 degrees, it does not take much force to pull out the bearing.
The first bearing certainly needs to be pulled out by pulling the inner ring. Unless the outer ring is stuck due to corrosion, I suspect that the bearing could be re-used if there was no other option. However, there would always be the uncertainty about the baring being damaged or not.

Back
Top Bottom