Whilst we're on about corrosion.

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you own a V85tt it may be worthwhile whipping your back wheel out and just having a look on the rear drive. On the face where the cush drives slot into, all of my V85s have been a bit rusty. Even when brand new. Bit of grease, ACF 50 or whatever you prefer, for me it's Bilt Hamber Dynax UC.
I don't see it as a build problem as that area is always open to water and crud getting in and rarely, if ever, gets cleaned.

I applied some grease when I removed the back wheel to fit the hugger, and sprayed some waxoyl on the centre of the swing arm.

me too. Gave her a thorough AFC treatment whilst fitting the Pyramid hugger.
Goo tip tho, thanks Wrinkley

As you say, even when new this was evident when the back wheel was out to fit the hugger.
Treated as above, never an issue if monitored and retreated at tyre chage time (once a year in my case).

Forgive my ignorance but how can it not be a build problem if it's rusty when brand new?

If you own a V85tt it may be worthwhile whipping your back wheel out and just having a look on the rear drive. On the face where the cush drives slot into, all of my V85s have been a bit rusty. Even when brand new. Bit of grease, ACF 50 or whatever you prefer, for me it's Bilt Hamber Dynax UC.
I don't see it as a build problem as that area is always open to water and crud getting in and rarely, if ever, gets cleaned.
I heard the Bilt Hamber dynax uc and ub are both excellent corrosion prevention sprays, but is it difficult to remove?

I heard the Bilt Hamber dynax uc and ub are both excellent corrosion prevention sprays, but is it difficult to remove?
Excellent protection. But you're right in what you've heard, it can be difficult to remove if put on too thickly. Built Hamber do a removal solution but I can't remember what it's called.

Another area to rust is the driveshaft itself. It's of course within the swing arm housing but there is a hole at the bottom, in front of the bevel drive. It's probably a witness hole to allow any oil leak from the drive to drip out and be noticed. But water from riding in rain, through puddles, or washing can get in there and rust the shaft and bearing. I tapped the hole and plugged it with a small bolt which I periodically remove just to see if any oil comes out then put it back.

Another area to rust is the driveshaft itself. It's of course within the swing arm housing but there is a hole at the bottom, in front of the bevel drive. It's probably a witness hole to allow any oil leak from the drive to drip out and be noticed. But water from riding in rain, through puddles, or washing can get in there and rust the shaft and bearing. I tapped the hole and plugged it with a small bolt which I periodically remove just to see if any oil comes out then put it back.
Good tip, I'll have a look at that. On the CARC models the swing arm bearings notoriously came with very little grease applied at the factory. I'm not sure if this is going to be the case on newer bikes but I'll be having a look at mine next year. I've actually had one Stelvio and one 1200 sport were I've had to grind through the swing arm bolt to get it out to enable me to change the bearings.
I don't think the Italians realise just how grim the British winters can be.

I just happened to notice the hole when it was up on the lift. The hole wasn't threaded and I thought surely it wouldn't be there to allow water to drain out so it must be to vent condensation, or a breather so to speak. I didn't do anything to it and left the hole be. But sometime later I happened on a thread by a Guzzi mechanic who discussed what he thought it was put there for and the problems he feels it can cause. After reading that I plugged it.

Back
Top Bottom