WiFi wired access point.

NeilDD

Old enough to know better
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Probably something for @sparkplug

After some advice on a replacement external WAP with power sent over PoE

What is the best bang for the buck at the moment. this something I will be installing for someone else, so the setup needs to be secure but easy to look after

As always lots of variables to potentially consider, but I'd probably be looking at the TP-Link or UniFi stuff.

Things to look out for are the IP rating (some of the UniFi is rated as 'outdoor' but expects to have some level of shelter like under a porch or similar for example), maximum throughput speeds (there might be some disappointment running a 1GB connection through a WAP that can only handle 200Mbps) and whether the WAP can handle both 2.4 and 5 GHz and whether that's needed or not.

The other consideration I guess is the desired range and where the person is going to be when trying to use the signal.

I've seen people try this for a garden office and fail because the signal might reach the office, but then struggles to get through 50mm reflective kingspan.

If you can give me a few more details I can help narrow the suggestions down a bit!

*edit* I just noticed the keyword 'replacement' - what's there at the moment and why is it being replaced?

Masters Towers has 4 x Ubiquiti UniFi APs - PoE and wired.

The setup works reliably well.

You do need a PoE injector or powered switches.

+1 for Unifi kit.
I have a Unifi UAP AC Lite installed in the hallway of my house, covers the whole house well enough and transfer speeds are good enough, managed to hit 500Mbps copying data to a laptop whilst sat in my front room from another wired device on my LAN a couple of days ago.

I can't comment on their outdoor kit, but presumably it's going to be of similar quality so I'd be looking at what they offer if I ever needed an outdoor access point

Not sure what its for.
But if its a garden office i would just go with outdoor cat 6 cable and run a wired connection to a switch-hub in the office.
Its a personal thing, but i hate paying for a gigabit connection then getting 28mb (or less) over Wi-Fi somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom