I didn't like it, but cant get it out of my mind !

OJKD

Reaction score
Listen. I don't like GSes. A lot of my personality revolves around making fun of them. "A GS is Junkers 52 without wings and less cylinders". "A PCP deal on a GS is just a posh way to say bus pass". "I saw some dust over there, better stand up on the pegs". "Finally the new GS is color-coordinated with the destination (Starbucks)"

I've had a few bikes over 10 years of riding. GSXF600, Nighthawk 750, Thundercat, Tuono 100, 950 Adventure, Beta 520 and currently Hypermotard 1100. I sold the GSXF when I went to college, the Nighthawk after I rode it 3 weeks, the Thundercat because I wanted a naked, the Tuono because I rode it like madman, the KTM because it was too slow on track, I got a lot for it, and it was getting hard to find parts. The Beta because I'd rather walk than ride it. The Hypermotard is great, but fuel range, wind protection and comfort is meh.

I test rode a 1250GS at an event. I was really interested in trying the Multi V2, but it wasn't available. After 3 turns I felt comfortable with trailbraking into bends, and went as fast as I would on the Hypermotard. It had much more power than I need, and after a 20 minute test ride I told my friend "It was a great bike, I'd love to borrow one for a long while, but it didn't make me want to own one, or pay for it". Of course he said, "I know, that's why the Multi V4 exist". Well, I am married, with 3 kids and I'm 32 years old. Nor a new GS or a V4 Multi is in the cards. Rode the Hyper home and decided to try a V2 next year.

What it did turn me on to was this: The Hyper is excellent, and I decided to make a list of things I would need to replace it.

- 200 mile-ish tank range
-Wind protection
-Easier to install luggage
-Electronics, ABS, TC, Cruise
-Good on bad roads
-Would like keyless go

The Multi 1200 has cruise, but lost out to the S1000XR in every test. I always wanted a first gen S1000RR, I love the lop-eyed look. Started looking a S1000XR, tried on a KTM 1290 SAS, but I can't get over the looks, they are fugly. Back to S1000XR. Realizing that I'm stretching my pretend budget, and if I'm going to spend all that money on a bike, I want it to feel modern. I have never had a outdoor temp gauge, fuel gauge and all those nice things. If I'm getting a modern touring machine I want those things. The S1000XR doesn't have keyless go until 2020 or something. That is above the budget. I really do like the "never turn around because the road is shit I had on the KTM 950". I don't plan on off-roading, that's illegal here. It's all just shitty roads. The S1000XR isn't great at that.

Well. It's the GS then. A 2014-2018 R1200GSA. I want the spoked wheels probably. It's more than I want to spend really, but the SAS is ugly, the XR is just as expensive and has less gizmos. What about a V-Strom? I never said this but, I think the GS is really cool. The pure utility look, like battle station always ready for anything. I used to work in telecom infrastructure from a VW Crafter 4x4, and the GS is the same feel. As long as I have keys and credit card for fuel, I'm good to do whatever. At this point, after thinking about it, the GS has one weakness - track riding. I always wanted a Cagiva Mito anyways.

All this to simply admit that I'm probably going to get a GS at some point. I really want your help to find something else, but I feel like it's a losing battle. Who likes spaghetti scaffolds anyways? And that XR is dumb. Who needs 160 hp? Please help.

I also laughed many years ago when a mate with a serious long-term wrist injury sold his Guzzi Le Mans and bought an 1150GSA...... Then I rode it........ And then I bought one myself.

Fast forward to today and after owning a string of GS/GSA I still have one (1250GSA) and probably always will. It a well trodden path.

I also ride a Maxi-scooter.

Who gives a shit what anyone else rides, or thinks of your bike ?

If you want an ADV style consider a Moto Guzzi V85tt, unless you want the dick waving ultimate latest BHP monster. I know a lot of the riding Gods won't look at anything under 120bhp, but where can you use it? Less is more IMHO

Up until August last year, I was happily in love with my Ducati Multistrada 1200s (Its' for sale on this very forum).
i then bought a Rallye, 2020. Bought it to sell on.....

Well,,,, 7000 miles or so later, the Mutley is up for sale, having only done 154 miles since September 22.

Veni, Vidi, Vici,,,,, as they say in Berlin!

Up until August last year, I was happily in love with my Ducati Multistrada 1200s (Its' for sale on this very forum).
i then bought a Rallye, 2020. Bought it to sell on.....

Well,,,, 7000 miles or so later, the Mutley is up for sale, having only done 154 miles since September 22.

Veni, Vidi, Vici,,,,, as they say in Berlin!

... I guess that kind of answers it.

I was scrolling through the classifieds yesterday to see what I might end up paying, and how much my wife would kill me, and messaged some buddies who own or have owned GS-es and they all agreed that it's not for everyone, but anyone should try one for a while.

I did however come up with a theory. I'm not really in a hurry, and with the new GS coming out in the spring, and the GSA (probably) being a fall release for 2024, the right time for buying a GS must be either fall of 2024, or spring 2025? Anyways, I made the conclusion that I'm probably going to keep the Hyper for another year. I might see if I could rent a GS for a bit of riding next year, maybe take the missus to Scotland for a weekend.

gs's will do track days , you won't be the quickest , but you'll be the most talked about.
They certainly will ....

i-Pkz3mhv-M.jpg

Any BMW will do nicely :thumby:

i-qBKxG38-L.jpg

.... and they'll hold their own :D

:beerjug:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom