WW1 battlefields

Flyer

Reaction score
I've yet to take the bike abroad, and would love to visit WW1 battlefields (Menin gate etc.) early summer. Anyone know of any outfits that do tours/accomodation in that area?

Flyer

Flyer, you may like to check out the people that advertise in the back of the bike magazines and who do bike oriented tours.

There are a few that do the tours by mini-vus and when I led a group from my other club (okay the Suzuki Owners Club!) around the Ypres Salient last Easter we kept bumping (not actual physical contact) to different buses along the route.

I worked out a route using Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Ypres Salient - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...61400/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_2_3/026-2259224-8248466 - to see the "main" sites and you can get a lot of riding and a lot of places under your belt in a long day, fitting in lunch as you go....

Flyer said:
I've yet to take the bike abroad, and would love to visit WW1 battlefields (Menin gate etc.) early summer. Anyone know of any outfits that do tours/accomodation in that area?

Flyer

Flyer. There is an outfit called Motorcycle Sport and Leisure who advertise a trip to the Somme. The link to them is here

Don't know if this is what you are looking for or what they are like... just picked up their brochure at the NEC last year.
Looks like they are using a hotel in Cambrai.
Hope that helps...

Thanks for these replies, guys.

Also asked a couple of mates - one in particular has been before and is up for it again, with the same guys he went with last time. So it could well be 'on' - probably May/June time. If it doesn't work out, the MSL September one looks good.

Cheers

Vince

Vince,

Bugger the organised tour, go with your mates for a weekend/long weekend/longer. Bit of planning/plagiarisation from the tours & your off.

Ypres is only 60 miles from Calais, was there coupla weeks ago with Jim650 & Blue Sweeper.

Search the board and you'll see some hotels recommended.

There's a route around Ypres on the wall of the museum in the a square - the museum's well worth it too. You can also pick it up as a leaflet. There's more than a dozen cemeteries around Ypres, including the biggest allied one at Tyne Cot (12,000).

Menin Gate service is 8pm every night.

Just book the chunnel, a hotel in Ypres for Fri & Sat night & do it yourself. There's loads all around Ypres, we only did 1/4 of the route this time, including Tyne Cot & Hill 62 trench system/museum, on the Saturday. It's all really close by, unless you want to fit more in/stay longer.

We paid something like £48 for a flexible return.

We came back via the V2 museum near St.Omer - well worth doing to - could have done another hour in there easily.

I've stayed in "Old Tom" & "The Albion" in Ypres. Old Tom is right on the square & cheaper - @£10 B&B, but the rooms & breakfast reflect this; hard crusty rolls & jam/nutella for breakie. It has secure underground parking foc, on the other side of the square, ironically, right near The Albion.

The Albion is about 150m off the square & also has secure (outdoor) parking. About £30/night, but the rooms & breakfast really reflect the extra cost - I'd stay there next time I went, just for the comfort and "extensive" breakfast :D

There's also a Novotel near The Albion, but no experience of that.

At least two nice restaurants in the square, all selling fantastic "no hangover" Belgium beer :D

You can also buy guides, includning Major & Mrs Holts one over there if need be.

Total cost for trip (leaving Fri pm coming back Sun pm) was about £170 for tunnel, b&b, fuel, food & booze......... oh an the extra £60 in the local sports shop, cos I forgot me trainers (tossssseeeerrrr! :D)

Get over there mate!

Jon

That's really useful info, I quite fancy doing this myself.
Did you find that you could work out what things were OK without a guide... I'm thinking of trenches and fortications. I know that trying to visualise what things were and how they worked isn't so easy just from a book and inevitably the landscapes have changed a lot since 14/18.

Don't forget that June 6th is the 60th anniversary of D-Day, and its going to be busy over there. I understand there's a re-enactment of the landings being staged etc. I'd guess that the ferries may be a bit busier at this time.....

Kind of.

Primary reason we went was that Jim & me both had relatives in Tyne Cot & wanted to pay our respects at the Menin Gate service, having missed it last time - we were enroute to Arnhem and realised that you could spend at least a weekend in Ypres.

So we knew we'd do the museum & cemetery on Saturday, with maybe some more or something else if there was time.

The road route round Ypres is actually sign posted with blue signs, so is easy to follow without the map, altho the turning for Tyne Cot looks like the entrance to the builders yard it's next to :D

Roys probably still got the route leaflet.

After the cemetery (see my post under "Saving Private Ryan" thread), understandibly we weren't ready for another cemetary yet, so decided to go to Hill 62, where the Canadians were.

There's a trench system there & a museum, entry into the musuem gets you into the trench system.

Maybe not what I was expecting, having seen some on "war walks" and after the cemtery had mixed feelings about someone making money out of the war. The owner may well contribute a % to charity each year, but wearing an old sweatshirt, having slicked back greasyish hair and belching (altho apologising straight away) as Roy went to pay, and getting the feeling that some of the items were just dumped out the back, understandibly had me wound up a bit.

That and the fact there was a bus load of kids jumping about when my senses were very acute. Worth going to tho. The Canadian memorial on top of the hill is simple, but also gives a view around, so you can get an idea of what it must have been like.

The Menin Gate is a must. Having probably at least 2 hours going round it in the daylight the first time we were in Ypres - for some reason I had to read at least one name of each panel - you've got to leave some time to do it as well as the service. It's not until you see it in daylight that you realise just how massive it really is.

gate1.jpg

I did a google search and found loads - just done another to see if the route is on the web and found this by a guy called Tom Morgan, which is worth a read.

So for a weekend, I'd say maybe do the Flanders in the Fields museum in the cloth hall & Menin Gate in the morning, then maybe some of the road tour, like Tyne Cot & Hill 62 in the afternoon. There's lots of info & books in the museum to let you get a feel of how it was then.

Don't plan too much as you'll be suprised how long you stay at some sites, just being there. As there's so much there, you can be pretty fluid.

Pay your respects at the service in the evening, then drink a toast (or two) that night.

Next day maybe more of the road route, then return to Calais, or like we did, visit the V2 museum nr St.Omer - think rocket site inside a mountain a-la James Bond and you're somewhere close, it's amazing. If they'd finished this site, they've been able to launch a V2 at Britain once every half hour! Doesn't bear thinking about.

There's also quite a bit about the French resistance and how many they lost in the camps - not publiscised a lot.

Like most things, you gotta go yourself and then work out how much you want to do, but there's easily enough "good" things to do on your own in a weekend without paying for a tour - we were all alone at Tyne Cot, which made it all the more poignant - a coach turned up as we left. The good thing about being in a small gourp is if you find a site "busy" you can nip off to another, or the next one and so keep in front of the tours and appreciate the sites in peace.

We'll definitely be going back to do the rest of the road tour. It's also just so easy getting there. 120 miles from me to the tunnel, another 60 miles to Ypres and you're there. Easily do-able on a Friday night.

Bite the bullet, book a hotel and just go there, you'll be surprised how easy it all becomes.

HTH - anymore info needed, just ask :thumb

:beerjug:

Jon

A group of 12 of us are off to the same area this June. We are going with www.hellotommy.co.uk. From what I have heard so far, it is run by a retired army officer who is a biker himself. My brother is organising our trip, he reckons the chap sounds a bit of a laugh and of course he knows where the best sites are. I can't remember what the cost was, but if you are interested I could find out for you.

We have done some of the the WW2 sites; D-Day landing beaches, Omaha cemetary (this is a must, but you will split up when you get there - I have seen hardened coppers with tears in their eyes at the sheer number of graves there), Caen etc for the last 2 years, but this year we have deliberately avoided the same areas in June given the 60 anniversary on the 6th June 2004. We happened to be there last year on 6th June and the traffic was a joke especially around Pegasus Bridge etc, so you can only imagine what the traffic will be like this year.

The V2 site near St Omer is La Coupole and there is a another blockhouse at Eperleques which is just off the N43 on the way south towards St Omer.

A third and called "V3" is at Mimoyecues and this one is quite handy for the A16 being about 10 miles from the Shuttle terminal.

I'm looking at a long-day trip over in September or October to these and may take in the Atlantic Wall Museum near Cap Blanc Nez if there's time.

As for WW1 some excellent places to see in Jon's post. Tyne Cot is simply amazing and you really get a feel for the Paschendaele when it is pissing down with rain and everywhere is a foot deep in mud.

The Bremen Redoubt is good being only found relatively recenty in a brick yard, you go down int the bumker and walk around in the damp where the German's soldiers rested between shooting matches with our lads.

My own relatives that died in WW1 areon the Somme and in Armentieres an I've been to both. Sobering is the word to describe these places.

The route I planned around the Salient took most of the day with lunch in Paschendaele.

Ypres out on the Poperinghe road, up to White Hose cemetary, Kithener's Wood, Wiltje, Cheddar Villa, St Juliaan (both german bunkers), Poelkappelle and the Guynemer Memorial (French air ace), Langemark and the German cemetary, Vancouver Corner and the Canadian Memorial on the site of the gas attack 22nd april 1915, then down past Totemuhle to Tyne Cot. Onto Paschendaele, then a loop back to bring us onto the menin Road via Zonnebeke and up to Hill 62/Sanctuary Wood Museum and then back to Ypres through the Menin Gate.

Took all day with all the stops and was well worth the trip even if the weather was wet and windy onthe dau we went round.

I'd still recommend the Holt's book I mentioned before as it covers loads of small tucked away places that are easy to overlook. The book also comes with the Salient map which made planning much easier.

This was my second trip I'd led over there, the first time we stayed in Langemarck itself.... In a B&B that shared buildings with a bowling alley and a disco/pub!

Jon said:
We came back via the V2 museum near St.Omer - well worth doing to - could have done another hour in there easily.

There's also the Blockhaus at Éperlecques between St Omer and Calais.

A little further afield is the stunning Edwin Lutyens' Thiepval Memorial - the names of 72,000 lost soldiers on its tablets.

But just get on your bike and amble around the Somme. You'll find wargraves around every corner - each cemetery has a book giving the name of each of the fallen heros and a few words about them and the battles that took place in the area.

Give yourself plenty of time.

Greg

Attachments

• thiepval.jpg
    thiepval.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 223
Thanks for lots of good inputs

Firstly, thanks to Flyer for originally starting this thread. having seen some of the inputs it has got me thinking about doing the same as he was planning.
So, on that basis, just a thanks to all the excellent advice and inputs that have been posted.

Flyer... hope this doesn't seem to be taking over your thread... that wasn't my intention.
:beerjug:

Invicta Moto said:
I'm looking at a long-day trip over in September or October to these and may take in the Atlantic Wall Museum near Cap Blanc Nez if there's time.

FYI, we spent at least 3 hours in there - there's currently a T34 in the entrance tunnel that you have to walk around, which throws you a bit - so you may end up not doing much more on a day trip if you're ognna do these places justice :D

When you do get there, keep a look for the aerial reconnaissance photo taken by a mosquito when they found the place, then when you're back outside, try & work out how low he actually was..........

Flyer said:

Flyer

Flyer

Check this site out - I asure you this is the best tour going (Quasimodo.be) this is a small 1 man band company based in Brugge and has won many awards for the tours he lays on. Its run by a young guy who was born in the area and what he does'nt know about the first world war isn't worth knowing.
The WW1 tour runs on Wed, Fri and Saturdays from 9 - 4.30 and you would be picked up in Brugge and taken round in a mini bus. Passchendale, Hill 60 preserved battlefield, Bunkers, craters, abbandoned trenches, Ypres and the Menin Gate are all coverd.
You won't be disapointed and you could stay in the bikers hotel - just outside Ostend - 15 mins ride away from Brugge.

Have a good one m8
pod

Jon said:
FYI, we spent at least 3 hours in there - there's currently a T34 in the entrance tunnel that you have to walk around, which throws you a bit - so you may end up not doing much more on a day trip if you're ognna do these places justice :D

When you do get there, keep a look for the aerial reconnaissance photo taken by a mosquito when they found the place, then when you're back outside, try & work out how low he actually was..........

Thanks Jon, I did a recce on the way back from Le Touquet a few weeks back but the Museum was closed.

In the car park there's a nice concrete sentry box now used (unofficially) as un pissoir!

Musee_01.jpg

Paul,

I'm not sure that's the museum I went to :D. It's located down in in a chalk quarry..........La Coupole

exterieure_accueil.jpg

Also, found an aerial pic to show just how big Tyne Cot is :(

TYNE.JPG

Back
Top Bottom