Zumo 346 recalculating route issues

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm having some issues with route transferred from Basecamp into my Zumo.

I've worked out a route using Myroute App, exported this as a track, imported into Basecamp, then using the track as a template, rather than converting to a route, created a route to sit on top of the track. Once done transferred to the Zumo 346, it looked fine at first glance, but I didn't check it against the track on the device. As a result I spent a lot of time on Dutch motorways rather than the smaller roads running nearby, really frustrating. I did also have a large scale map, but the Dutch road network really wants you on motorways and off minor roads!

I have checked that both Basecamp and Garmin set to shortest distance and converted waypoints to non alerting shaping points apart from start and finish.

I do find the whole transferring from one device to another a chore and recently took to buying and using MRA as I can transfer to the Zumo via wifi, but seems it's a big leaning curve! So, back to Garmin and basecamp for the moment.

Any other ideas to try?

I know nothing about the Zumo 346, though I assume it operates in the same way as most other Garmin devices. I also assume that you have used it successfully in the past? If so, the only thing that has changed is the introduction of MyRoute into your life,

I suggest:

a. Create a route in MyRoute’s Cloud based Route Lab. Have in the route sufficient viapoints (MyRoute calls them, waypoints) to pin the route to roads you want to ride. Use HERE maps and take a bit of care placing the waypoints.

b. Export it as a route (skip all the track, tracing over the track malarkey) to BaseCamp. Chose GPX 1.2 as the type to share with. 1.2 will also export a track but you can ignore that.

c. Look at the route displayed in BaseCamp. Does it look right ie. is it the same or near enough the same as the route you created in MyRoute? In other words, is it the same shape, near enough the same length, following the same roads, giving a similar estimated journey time?

YES,,,, great, move on to point d.

NO….. work out why

d. Export the route from BaseCamp to your Zumo 346 and display it. Again, does it all look right?

YES….. great, move on to point e.

No….. work out why

e. Turn off auto-recalculation or at least set it to prompted. If prompted, lean towards saying no. Set navigation to ‘fastest time’.

f. Run the route and report back, please.

Last edited:
Thanks, all good advice, will give it a go. I've only recently discovered the ability to 'expand' a route, think that's probably the key, making sure there are enough to 'pin' it to the intended route. Will report back. TBH, I'm not very good at reading manuals, like most blokes, only found out on the way back to Blighty the other day that pressing the 'speed', bottom left of 346 gives a whole load of extra information including a large speedo in Km or Mph as needed... must read manuals :)

Back
Top Bottom