How to Import Your Motorcycle from the EU.

To the OP - didn't you need to pay VAT as well? I imported a KTM from Guernsey and had to pay VAT and show proof of that before I could register in the UK.

I suspect the difference is that you had paid the French equivalent of VAT when you bought the bike in France, whereas there is no VAT or equivalent in Guernsey :nenau

As an aside, I thought the VAT would be a pain but couldn't have been easier. DVLA on the other hand were a right royal PITA :mad: Still, turned out to be a cheap bike even after paying the VAT & wrestling with DVLA :D Should never have sold it :tears

Finally starting my import process today.

Requested a Certificate of Conformity, made some insurance inquiries en hope to have settled it all before the end of the month!

Already done the MOT a few weeks ago, so hope that there will be no big delays in the process. :bow

Also: requesting a CoC is now via email, via eccoc@bmw.co.uk :)

Waiting to hear what kind of information they need from me, since I only got an automated reply at this point.

All in all the DVLA didn't even need a week! (I needed a bit more sorting out insurances that would cover on a chassis number).

Went to the Sheffield office on a Monday morning (a task only for the unemployed.. what a queue... , handed in all my stuff, and on Friday I found an envelope with my tax disc and license plate number, which I had made at Halfords over the weekend and is not fitted to my GS! Didn't expect it to be so fast and simple. :thumb

I'm looking into this but there is no getting around the fact that the DVLA require me to use the mph dials which will cost about £630 :eek: Also the headlight will have to be changed so that's another £280 if I bought new. As the bike is pristine it would be a shame to put a tatty light on it. :eek Bureaucrats. They always find some way of extorting money from you.

I did the same with my F650 Dakar before it was nicked (was luckily 10 years old just when I moved to the UK). The only person to ever see the bike was the MOT guy, and he couldn't have cared less about the KPH speedo. Reckons lots of quads in the UK only show KPH as well, and are even sold new with that! I did have the different headlight. But having compared the light of both of them, the difference is minimal. Next time, I'd give it a shot with those beam converters you can buy on the ferries to the continent.

For the purpose of registering a Spanish motorbike in the UK, what documents would be needed to prove that I bought the motorbike through legal means, but did not have time to get it registered in my name?

I am thinking about buying my Spanish pals motorcycle, but I would not be in Spain during the week and the DVLA over there only opens on week day

I might call the DVLA about this one, but if anyone knows the answer share the info.

car from the USA

well its sort of similar to a bike.

Thinking of buying, for my own use, an old MG TC.

Any help or advice on the pitfalls and paperwork required would be grateful.

Shipped after manufacture to the US was made to the UK spec so would type approval still be required, it is a 1937 vehicle

Anthony

Bringing this slightly up to date, post Brexit I am having to pay around €250 for the various bits of customs declarations and agents fees required to export a bike from Denmark. Customs fees of around £50 on the UK side, then the 5% VAT on an older bike.

Further question

If I am bringing in a historic bike, do I need to get an MOT?

So reading up on this at the moment, looking at bringing my 07 GS1200 into the UK and if I am reading it right i need to tell HMRC etc but the actual registration involves getting it mot'd after changing speedo and headlight then applying to dvla for reg doc anything else other than tax and insurance? Thanks

Registering an imported motorcycle which is over 40 years old.

Hi all, just to update this a little regarding the registering of a motorcycle that has been imported and is over 40 years old.
A couple of friends have recently purchased imports from DK Motorcycles and the route through the DVLA system was quite simple, they had to get dating letters from the VJMC (vintage japanese motorcycle club - or if not a japanese bike you just need a letter from a recognised owners club), fill in a form V55/5 and send a cheque for £55 along with 2 forms of identity info.
No MOT or certificate on insurance required.
About 8/10 weeks later they got their reg number and V5's.

Hi all, just to update this a little regarding the registering of a motorcycle that has been imported and is over 40 years old.
A couple of friends have recently purchased imports from DK Motorcycles and the route through the DVLA system was quite simple, they had to get dating letters from the VJMC (vintage japanese motorcycle club - or if not a japanese bike you just need a letter from a recognised owners club), fill in a form V55/5 and send a cheque for £55 along with 2 forms of identity info.
No MOT or certificate on insurance required.
About 8/10 weeks later they got their reg number and V5's.

I've done the above three times this year and by photographing my card license that was the only ID required. :thumb

Got the V5Cs within a month!

Back
Top Bottom