Biking in Europe E111

As the OP's question app eras to be thinly disguised spam for two hotel co's, let's look at Pablo's question.

1. The card is free, so you may as well have it.

2. It gives reciprocal treatment in the EU, meeting some (but not all) of your costs.

3. Foreign hospitals and doctors can refuse to treat you if you do not have it.

4. It will not cover for instance the cost of:

A repatriation flight to the UK

The recovery of your body (see sad thread on UKGSer on this topic)

Other social costs you may incurre. For example, garaging of your vehicle whilst you are being treated, cancellation costs of pre-booked hotels, loss of valuables.

My advice: Get the card and buy god quality tralel insurance. On is free and the other as cheap as chips.

As the OP's question app eras to be thinly disguised spam for two hotel co's, let's look at Pablo's question.

1. The card is free, so you may as well have it.

2. It gives reciprocal treatment in the EU, meeting some (but not all) of your costs.

3. Foreign hospitals and doctors can refuse to treat you if you do not have it.

4. It will not cover for instance the cost of:

A repatriation flight to the UK

The recovery of your body (see sad thread on UKGSer on this topic)

Other social costs you may incurre. For example, garaging of your vehicle whilst you are being treated, cancellation costs of pre-booked hotels, loss of valuables.

My advice: Get the card and buy god quality tralel insurance. On is free and the other as cheap as chips.
And don't forget that it is for emergency treatment only. Not for continuing care after an accident or illness. You will need to get home or have insurance for this.

I don't know what the situation for ambulances fees is though:nenau

Having had the misfortune to need medical treatment in France I found out the following

1, The card covered 75% of the hospital treatment costs
2, The ambulance costs were billed seperately and received 6 months later.
3, Repatriation costs are not covered and are massive if you need flight and medical attention on the way home.

I showed the card and I had to pay on discharge the remainder of the hospital charges (25%) I then claimed this back from my insurers on my return to the UK.

I claimed against AA insurance for my repatriation costs by car, including overnight stays. My total costs (ie not covered by the card) were over £6k. The excess was waived as I had the card and obviously reduced the insurers hospital pay out by 75%

So my view, have the card it's free you can apply on line and have it delivered within 7 working days. It does make life easier in the hospital unless you have unlimited funds on a credit card. The card should be backed up by good insurance. The AA were superb in this instance, liasing with family and the hospital and paying all the bills within a few working days.

Having had the misfortune to need medical treatment in France I found out the following

1, The card covered 75% of the hospital treatment costs
2, The ambulance costs were billed seperately and received 6 months later.
3, Repatriation costs are not covered and are massive if you need flight and medical attention on the way home.

I showed the card and I had to pay on discharge the remainder of the hospital charges (25%) I then claimed this back from my insurers on my return to the UK.

I claimed against AA insurance for my repatriation costs by car, including overnight stays. My total costs (ie not covered by the card) were over £6k. The excess was waived as I had the card and obviously reduced the insurers hospital pay out by 75%

So my view, have the card it's free you can apply on line and have it delivered within 7 working days. It does make life easier in the hospital unless you have unlimited funds on a credit card. The card should be backed up by good insurance. The AA were superb in this instance, liasing with family and the hospital and paying all the bills within a few working days.

Spot on.

Not to have the free card is foolish. Not to have proper travel insurance is certifiable.

I have used the AA's Travel policy twice and each time have been very pleased with the results. Not the cheapest but it works.

Thanks

big thanks to everyone who added there little bit
read this thread
we are going away in four weeks
both our cards expired next week
so quickly filled out on line
and thats it

WARNING as prev advised

the cards are FREE dont pay any other people to do this very simple form
one cheeky CNUT wanted £14.99 each :eek:

Thanks

To whoever put this on. I have just had a look at mine as I am going to Germany on Thursday. Luckily it does not run out till next year but I would not have thought to check it had I not been reading this.
Cheers Glenn.

You can apply for an E111 online by completing the form HERE.
I did one a year or two ago and it arrived inside a week, but obviously get it done well before that if you're going away to make sure you do get it in time:thumb2

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE THIS WEB SITE, OR ANY OTHER 3RD PARTY SITE.
Firstly many of them are scammers trying to get personal info for criminal purposes. A mate of mine had a bank try and recover an amount of money from him that had been a bank loan he did not have. It turned out that when the police and bank fraud units tracked things back it led to a site for E111 applications he had used, who used the info to make money.
It turned out they were a group of foreigners-Roumanian i think (aint imigration a marvellous thing)
Secondly, they usually charge for a service which is free on the proper site.

Scary stuff.....just goes to show it doesnt matter how good a biker you are when things like that happen......good luck with the recovery..

wow! what a story..so glad your ok …..yes the card is easily forgotten ,its just one of those things you you pop in the draw till you need it next time 1 ..then its too late . I have the app on my phone ( as well as a hard copy ) this informs you when its renewable , should you lose the card this is a back up etc ….you can't download the card from the app, but it stays on the phone

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559

This thread is rapidly becoming out of date, if not already.

Check on the many websites (some of which are even accurate) as to what has happened after 01 January 2021 and what will / may still happen in the future.

As I said, will be changing.

Not least advice from some that the card was irrelevant and / or travel insurance itself was not needed, is well past its sell by date.

Anyone going should:

A. Take their EU (EHIC) card, assuming it is still valid.

B. Buy appropriate travel insurance, unless they are very brave or very stupid or can mend themselves, like mummy’s little soldier. This latter piece of advice has been valid for years and will remain so. Irrespective.

C. Apply for the GHIC card, if their EHIC card has expired, if they do not have one, if they have lost it or lent it to their mate.

I have just renewed to GHIC, just happened to check after the new one was announced,
I noticed some travel insurance wordings appear to mention having ehic ,
Good advice Wapping

Back
Top Bottom