LED's fitted to my RT '14

Rong

Reaction score
Eventually fitted them (Denali D2 - dual intensity).

Attachments

• DSC_4065.jpg
    DSC_4065.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,399
  • DSC_4066.jpg
    DSC_4066.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,446
  • DSC_4067.jpg
    DSC_4067.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,430
  • DSC_4068.jpg
    DSC_4068.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,431
Nice...thats the next mod on my list.
I have a pair of BMW LED aux lights (from my GSA). just need the brackets for the RT now.

Question...is the wiring simply plug and play, or do i get the dealer to do it..:confused:

Well I wired mine up but I've also wired in a PDM60 controller as well as the Denali's require a 12v supply. All quite straightforward but as my LED's are dual intensity I want them to be controlled by the main lights, so low intensity as running lights then high intensity when high beam is switched on. The low intensity is not too much of a problem but the high beam is more complicated so what I have had to do is wire in a relay that is switched by the high beam power and the relay then provides the 12v supply to the Denali's via the PDM. Of course I could have used a relay for the low intensity side triggered by an ignition switched power supply but as needed the PDM for providing power for my heated gloves and vest it made sense to use that for the lights.

Just been quoted a price of £250 to supply and fit the brackets and Loom by my local Motorrad, so might let them do it.

Well considering the brackets are £80 and I would guess that they would want at least £30 for the loom I suppose that's not too bad when you look at the rate per hour for 'service engineers'.

Well considering the brackets are £80 and I would guess that they would want at least £30 for the loom I suppose that's not too bad when you look at the rate per hour for 'service engineers'.

Yes the brackets are £80, but the bloody loom and switch is £100..:blast

Still they are only charging me £70 labour..

So i decided to fit the BMW LED spots kit myself, and after 30mins i'd fitted the brackets, lights, loom and switch. Quite a simple job really.
However, where the hell is the power supply connector located on the bike...

Anyone??

Oh, yes i know that i'll have to get BMW to program the Canbus to initialise them.

"Well I wired mine up but I've also wired in a PDM60 controller as well as the Denali's require a 12v supply. All quite straightforward but as my LED's are dual intensity I want them to be controlled by the main lights, so low intensity as running lights then high intensity when high beam is switched on. The low intensity is not too much of a problem but the high beam is more complicated so what I have had to do is wire in a relay that is switched by the high beam power and the relay then provides the 12v supply to the Denali's via the PDM. Of course I could have used a relay for the low intensity side triggered by an ignition switched power supply but as needed the PDM for providing power for my heated gloves and vest it made sense to use that for the lights."

Complete double dutch to me, but nice lights

Road in the night for the first time a week or so back and ,wow, these little fellas are bright especially on double intensity. Makes a huge difference to country lane riding.

Hi there,

I know this thread is quite old now but it absolutely applies to what I am trying to achieve. I bought the Denali D2 kit because the fitting diagram looked astonishingly straightforward. It came with a full wiring loom which has a + and - straight to the battery connection as well as an ignition trigger wire and a high beam trigger wire. I too have a PDM 60 and my plan was to take the ignition trigger from the PDM 60 and then splice into the main beam trigger wire to achieve the high beam functionality. It looks like the Denali wiring loom has a relay built in and a separate switch which allows you to turn the lights on and off. Am I right in thinking that the instructions you give here are if the Denali loom is not used? I am not sure why you need a separate relay for the high beam. There is no mention of this in the fitting instructions? Just - as a side issue - Exactly where did you pick up the high beam trigger wire and I would be very grateful if you could let me know the colour of it. Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi there,

I know this thread is quite old now but it absolutely applies to what I am trying to achieve. I bought the Denali D2 kit because the fitting diagram looked astonishingly straightforward. It came with a full wiring loom which has a + and - straight to the battery connection as well as an ignition trigger wire and a high beam trigger wire. I too have a PDM 60 and my plan was to take the ignition trigger from the PDM 60 and then splice into the main beam trigger wire to achieve the high beam functionality. It looks like the Denali wiring loom has a relay built in and a separate switch which allows you to turn the lights on and off. Am I right in thinking that the instructions you give here are if the Denali loom is not used? I am not sure why you need a separate relay for the high beam. There is no mention of this in the fitting instructions? Just - as a side issue - Exactly where did you pick up the high beam trigger wire and I would be very grateful if you could let me know the colour of it. Many thanks for any help you can provide.

In the end I didn't use the sign beam power to trigger the Denalis, I just use the provided switch and have the lights on all of the time but witch to high intensity when needed. If I remember correctly, I had major issues with the provided wiring and just couldn't get the lights to switch on and off I even spoke to Denali direct and they said to return the kit to the supplier for a replacement. AS I had spent a hell of a lot of time neatly wiring everything up I couldn't be bothered with the hassle so wired them as described above. 3 years later and they still work fine as they are and stay on for a few seconds after switching the ignition off which is neat!

Back
Top Bottom