Tracer ordered

MY 2P worth

In the real world .....

Having just been thrashing my XR round Scotland with some members of this parish I can say that some of it comes down to how fast you are actually prepred to go !

I haven't been arsed to read the rest of the thread but...... pretty much in one :)

What it really boils down to is how you 'enjoy' getting to go as fast as you're prepared to go i.e. screaming ILF, or modern V Twin with mid range grunt and big top end, or a single with proper low down grunt or old skool twin creamy mid range........other than an out right M-Way they can all do the same but in different ways :)

Andres

MY 2P worth

In the real world .....

Having just been thrashing my XR round Scotland with some members of this parish I can say that some of it comes down to how fast you are actually prepred to go !

I went down Glen Shiel at what would be classed as a very good pace, I don't want to put a figure on it as it could get me into bother. I had a GSA LC with me the whole way. I could overtake faster and come out of the corners harder but in the end we both ended up at Eileen Donan within seconds of each other Quite simply because i was not prepared to go faster than i was. I believe the guy on the GSA did have to work a lot harder though and was I should imagine pretty close to flat out whereas I could in theory have put at least another 30 or 40 MPH onto it It was not worth it

That's one reason why I don't want one, always having to reign it in, whereas the gs wc rewards with smooth fast pace where you can exploit the punchy engine characteristics more of the time. Just been to scotland riding the a road into Moffat, just fantastic to ride between 80 and 100.....no foray into 140mph territory. Straight line speed is overrated.

MY 2P worth

In the real world .....

I went down Glen Shiel at what would be classed as a very good pace, I don't want to put a figure on it as it could get me into bother. I had a GSA LC with me the whole way. I could overtake faster and come out of the corners harder but in the end we both ended up at Eileen Donan within seconds of each other Quite simply because i was not prepared to go faster than i was. I believe the guy on the GSA did have to work a lot harder though and was I should imagine pretty close to flat out whereas I could in theory have put at least another 30 or 40 MPH onto it It was not worth it

I'd go with that. I have to work the GSA a lot harder to get it to go nearly as fast as the XR, but there's only so fast you can go round a bend on either bike. The XR spins up much quicker than the GSA, and will get you into trouble quicker. After getting back on the GSA after spending time on the XR, it takes a few miles to reacclimatise to the performance difference, but the two aren't night and day different. My pal with the Tracer always seems happier when I'm on the GSA!:D

MY 2P worth

In the real world .....

There ain't many roads in the whole of this fair land where you can ride a litre sports bike hard, the run down Glen Sheil is one of the very few, and I'd take the xr over the tracer down that route, but only because you can corner at 120ish down there, and there isn't many roads on the public highway you can do that.

Well I loved the XR, but it was just too much temptation. I've got a test ride on a Tracer tomorrow as it probably covers my XR complaints. It has 115bhp or there abouts, so shouldn't be silly fast and it does 50+ mpg the most I got from the XR was 36 😆 such was the tempation to wring its neck. Only the test will tell, but I'm still 50/50 whether to move away from what I know so well.

Who really cares how it got here?

Well I loved the XR, but it was just too much temptation. I've got a test ride on a Tracer tomorrow as it probably covers my XR complaints. It has 115bhp or there abouts, so shouldn't be silly fast and it does 50+ mpg the most I got from the XR was 36 �� such was the tempation to wring its neck. Only the test will tell, but I'm still 50/50 whether to move away from what I know so well.

How did the test ride go then Phil?

How did the test ride go then Phil?

Ok, it's no XR.

It is a mighty fine engine, it has plenty of grunt and spins up quickly. Hits the limiter abruptly, it certainly is like no 850cc bike I've ever ridden. It's a beautiful bit of engineering and certainly not lacking as I expected it to be. The chassis is pretty good, but it desperately needs a steering damper, fook me the front end is very flighty!!. The riding position is more on than in which doesn't really suit me and the screen is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Takes it off ya chest, but that's about it. It doesn't have the solid feel of the XR and the electrics are crude, but it's half the price of an XR.

Overall I was actually very impressed. It handles well (front forks are a bit squidgy) tracks a line very well and is very 'flickable' but it's not for me. The Tracer motor in the the XR chassis would tick all the boxes for me. It's close, but it's easy to see where the extra money is in the XR and it's not the engine.

The XR would still mince a tracer simply for it's more planted feel, but with a steering damper, and a grand thrown at the tracer suspension and it would be a close run thing. I'd always be quicker on the XR just because it's riding position is less alien to me, but it's alot faster than it's 115bhp would suggest. It does start running out of puff after 130 apparently, but up to that point the bike is plenty fast enough (so they say). It's no GS1200 with 115bhp, it weighs feck all.

The electrics package is crude as I said. The traction control controls wheelies but shutting of the power abruptly and does exactly what I had with the WC. It lifts, drops back down and then lifts again until it stops wheelying. The XR comes up smoothly, drops down whilst still accelerating hard and stays down until you get the next gear. It is far more accomplished in it's operation.
Everything I've read says that STD mode is the best. A mode is too twitchy on the throttle and B is too blunt. I disagree. A and STD mode are too sensitive, like the original WC's. but the B mode means you can roll on the throttle through a bend, and really crank it open on the exit whilst still making fast progress but smoothly. I found the other modes upset the bike too much on the exit of the bend. Dynamic mode on the XR delivering 150bhp to the back wheel was perfect, so it's not me being cak handed, it's just poor mapping to make the muppets feel like they are riding some kind of beast machine. Smooth is fast and twitchy over sensitive throttles do not make for smooth progress imho.

The fit and finish is so so. I really like the LED headlights, but there's alot of cheapy plastic and the finish on the exhausts/fasteners and radiator all look like riding it in winter would kill it stone dead.

So overall, it's a bargain bike delivering truly respectable performance. It's not perfect and needs tweeking (cruise control would be nice), but I think it's a fantastic machine for the money. It is easy to spot where BMW have justified charging twice the price in the quality of the products they have used to manufacture the XR.

So:-

10 Suspension upgrade
2) New screen
3) Stainless bolt kit
4) Bar risers to make feel more in rather than on it.

~£1500 to make it far closer to what you want Phil?

It would still not be right for me as it would still have that perched on top of it feeling. I'm looking at a mu 1200 gsa or a super ten but the restrictor in 1st 2nd and 3rd puts me off the super ten. I need to take them both for a spin really.

...............or a super ten but the restrictor in 1st 2nd and 3rd puts me off the super ten. I need to take them both for a spin really.

I'm sure I've read it's a simple job to remove the restriction and isn't it only on the early models? Anyway, Packer's your man on that :)

Andres

I'm looking at a mu 1200 gsa or a super ten but the restrictor in 1st 2nd and 3rd puts me off the super ten. ?

It sounds as tho you don't mince around, would the super ten be to slow for ya !

No, but I know a few people who have complained about the restriction.

How about one of the last twin cam GS/ GSA's, Phil?

What got here, btw?:nenau

That's where I'm coming from Nutty old boy. Love the 1150 but fancy something more modern as I have garage time but just don't use it, lol

I had a quick go on Packers Super Ten up at Dent and I really liked it. I had that Stelvio for the weekend and an interesting comparison. Like the Stelvio, the Super Ten felt like and modern 1150 with that solid feel but with more go. I didn't really notice the restrictions but then I'm not a wheelie merchant.

I reckon the Super Ten is a lot of bike and for sensible money when compared to a WC.

Back
Top Bottom