Grossglockner to Transfagarasan

Rudy Rengers

Reaction score
Hi - I wonder if anyone could suggest a good riding route between Eastern Austria and the top of the Transfagarasan in Romania, through Hungary and Slovakia? There is nothing showing up on Best Biking Roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rudy: I rode from Austria to the Transfagarasan in April/May. However as our route between the two places took us across Turkey to Armenia, it's probably not quite what you were looking for. :D

Did Austria to Transfag this summer. We deviated north though Chzec republic and east through Slovakia. The Chzec was great but the Euro prices made Slovakia a bit expensive. We crossed through Hungary from Rosnava to Ordea in a day, we were worried about having to buy a Vignette to use the roads, its all a bit confusing, we plotted a course to use the free back roads but our crossing into Romania had been blown up and closed, we had to do a bout 30 miles on roads we should have paid a toll for, we just felt glad to be out of the boring flat plains of Hungary, so far I have not received a fine.
If you plan to ride across Hungary I suggest you find out the full facts about the road tolls to prevent the stress we felt and the inability to get information locally. Two bikers we met had paid a fee for motorway use.
For your information we paid no tolls in Romania, bikes are exempt form the Vignette or so the local garage told us, We checked at the border into Bulgaria and again bikes were free.
Regarding good routing, we found the main roads on the international maps were very good, turn off onto the local roads and the GPS routing is often a long way off the road and can be any type of surface, Its an adventure but very interesting (in good weather) Keep your tank topped up, fuel can be a bit difficult on the back roads.

Back
Top Bottom