Exhaust flap drama. BMW aren't listening.

well i have had 5 bm bikes with the exhaust flap and over a combined 100,000 miles have never had a problem with any of them,go figure

I’m trying to remember but I think I have had 1 failure over the last 5 bikes and that was on a bike where the valve was replaceable separately.

I’m not sure there is any rhyme or reason to failure.
I live 100 meters from the sea so even in the garage the bikes get cold damp air but still I only have had one unit failure.

well i have had 5 bm bikes with the exhaust flap and over a combined 100,000 miles have never had a problem with any of them,go figure

Do you have your bikes hilltopped?

A lean running bike may produce less soot, and higher temps, which means less chance of clogging up the valve.

A Hilltopped bike running a richer mixture may produce more soot and cooler temps causing valve stiction.

Feckin Hilltop again.... :D

A lean running bike may produce less soot, and higher temps, which means less chance of clogging up the valve.

A Hilltopped bike running a richer mixture may produce more soot and cooler temps causing valve stiction.

Feckin Hilltop again.... :D

only 1 was hilltopped:D scientific no but jeez some posters need to chill a bit,:blast

What is really crafty is that it is not covered under extended warranty. That says it all

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

As strict as Euro regulations seem to be I'm surprised a manufacturer is permitted to get away with only meeting noise regulation for such a short time (2 years) with absolutely no consequence.

I have a 13 plate GS WC, with 23K miles on it. Its just out of warranty (and I think you know whats coming). Its been for a BMW service and they tell me the exhaust flap is stuck and that I need a new exhaust system. They tell me BMW will fund half of it but still want £640 for a new system.

This isn't a 'what shall I do' thread though. (as there is tons of good advice on the forum) Its a 'is anybody doing anything about it' thread. (other than saying f#ck it and buying a Triumph)

Reading the threads this seems like an ongoing issue with BMW. The dealers admit that it is a known fault, but it seems BMW aren't listening. Its not a recall issue. BMW just seem to have the view 'tough!'

Are any individuals or organisations trying to take this further (if so I will add my name). I know I can the jointing pipe and just remove the thing, but I paid a lot of my savings for my bike. It was my pride and joy and now I just feel duped.

Pal, apologies for not reading the full thread so you`ve no doubt got it nailed - but if not I can fix this for you!

https://youtu.be/U7iwI7EXdIk

I have just had new headers fitted to my GS 6 months old 4,000 miles because it started sounding like a rusty gate when switched on. Had to wait 5 weeks since the item was on back order.

At least some good news, just took my exhaust off no change Nikel slip is still the same after a 1000 miles.
i-CQ9mJLr-M.jpg

2,000 miles and all of my Copper Slip has long gone: I'm aware of its lower melting point, but it's what I have so I'll use it. All working well so cables and pivots re greased by finger pressure.
Below pic taken end of last year, pre Hilltop and no appreciable difference carbon build up compared with the top picture taken today:
i-kMhb7G2-M.jpg

i-CQ9mJLr-M.jpg

2,000 miles and all of my Copper Slip has long gone: I'm aware of its lower melting point, but it's what I have so I'll use it. All working well so cables and pivots re greased by finger pressure.

At least you are taking the time to maintain it, so seems your way is working ok.

Back
Top Bottom