Automatic payment of French Autoroute Tolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was charged at the correct rate throughout, mostly using the quick lane. If you get charged the wrong rate you contact them and they correct it but it's never happened...

If it's in your sleeve pocket, how does it know your on a bike as opposed to it being stuck on a car windscreen ? Is it that clever ?

It's a matter of Sir's length. If it detects a short mount, the system assumes a moto.

Recommend the Sanef tag. Use it for car and bike.
Only had one issue, when the toll didn't register (blip) as I went through the barrier. My subsequent bill came through with a rather high default charge - which prompted me to query with Sanef.
Sanef merely checked the cctv recording of toll at my actual point of entry, to verify my vehicle passing through. Refund made!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

We just keep some cash in a bag and a credit card in an easy to reach place (pocket you can reach whilst on bike / tank bag front pocket) maybe a minute or so at each toll, but easier IMO than having to log onto a website to check you have not been overcharged and aggro of trying to sort out any incorrect bills.

Typically we only use the tolls on the first and last day of the trip, maybe 4-5 tolls each way = extra 10 minutes max, collecting a ticket takes seconds, paying is only about 1 minute either using a card or throwing bag of cash at person in booth.

We just keep some cash in a bag and a credit card in an easy to reach place (pocket you can reach whilst on bike / tank bag front pocket) maybe a minute or so at each toll, but easier IMO than having to log onto a website to check you have not been overcharged and aggro...

I quite agree and do the same if I haven't got my magic bleeper thingy but...

1. Lots of bods on this site struggle (for various reasons) doing as you do.

2. Several bods refuse to have a credit card; reasons why are often quite bizarre.

3. The checking takes seconds; divided by the few times most bods will actually travel away. Stories of the device malfunctioning and mischarging are much exaggerated and often repeated as gospel ("My mate's mate....") out of fear.

4. The first time your paper ticket dissolves in a thunderous rainstorm, you'll be wishing you had a magic bleeper thingy

5. You mostly ride with a pillion and solo. Those of us who often have a gaggle following along behind, like to spend the 10 minutes of quiet contemplation available, whilst Bill and Ben struggle at the barrier.

Fond memories of trying to get a damp/wet hand back into a glove, ecspecially when one of the finger holes won't " behave!" Usually happens when there's a stream of cars behind.
Saves faffing about with gloves/wallet/small change/Peage ticket and having to get off the bike to retrieve glove/

Mr SANEF should be knighted!

We just keep some cash in a bag and a credit card in an easy to reach place (pocket you can reach whilst on bike / tank bag front pocket) maybe a minute or so at each toll, but easier IMO than having to log onto a website to check you have not been overcharged and aggro of trying to sort out any incorrect bills.

Typically we only use the tolls on the first and last day of the trip, maybe 4-5 tolls each way = extra 10 minutes max, collecting a ticket takes seconds, paying is only about 1 minute either using a card or throwing bag of cash at person in booth.

What is this person in a booth you speak of?
There seems to have been a cull right across France.

Good thread - didn't know you could get these. We're driving to South of France later this year so just ordered and received a tag. Should make it smoother, especially in a RHD car.

I have just got the Sanef Liber-t version (as opposed to the Vinci one) as it is managed out of Harrogate and if I have any issues, I would prefer to deal with a UK based office. If my French were bettter, I would have gone for the Vinci version

Just back from a trip to France at the weekend (Calais - Reims - Geneva (via Col de La Faucille) - La Clusaz - Annecy - Beaune - Calais) Tag in tank bag worked well; but as a top tip make sure the white bit is facing up! Went through the 30kph lane without a hitch.

Just back from a trip to France at the weekend (Calais - Reims - Geneva (via Col de La Faucille) - La Clusaz - Annecy - Beaune - Calais) Tag in tank bag worked well; but as a top tip make sure the white bit is facing up! Went through the 30kph lane without a hitch.

I'm planning on a france trip and ordered the Tag... Can someone tell me which lanes I need to be using on the bike??

Cheers

filling in the Telepeage form it asks - Portable - I thought my French was good but ??

I'm planning on a france trip and ordered the Tag... Can someone tell me which lanes I need to be using on the bike??

Cheers

4.4. I’ve got a motorcycle?

You can use a Liber-t tag with a motorcycle with some limitations, the main one being that to avoid being charged as Class 1 vehicle you must use the manual lane and hand over the tag to the person in the toll booth. They will use a barcode scanner to read the tag and will charge you as a Class 5 vehicle. The main advantage is that it saves you fumbling for cash / payment cards with gloves on but you should not use the automated lanes. If there is no manned lane, use the automated Liber-t lane. When using the automated lane on a motorcycles just hold your tag up to the gantry, ensuring it is the correct way round as per the instructions it came with. Take care the vehicle (or other motorbike) behind is not too close as the equipment in the automated lane may register you as a larger vehicle and charge for a car (class 1). You can check your transactions in the 'My Account' area a few days later. If this happens you would need to contact us and request a toll adjustment. If you use the automatic lane then we can only request a toll adjustment if you have used the non-height restricted Liber-t lane, all vehicles using the 2 meter height restricted lane will be classed as class 1 with no option to adjust this.

Cheers

Ignore all the shite about you must hand over the tag to avoid....

I have never handed the tag to anyone when using it on a motorcycle.

Much simpler: Look at the huge signs on the gantry above each lane and go from there.

auto tags

what to do if there is no operator at the tolls. I quite often found know one around especially at some of the smaller ones

I have never used a tag always faffing about with cards etc but I thought the tag was a good idea but not if you get auto charged at the wrong rate?

Once more....

The automatic tags work perfectly well for motorcyclists when they encounter unmanned Payage barriers.

No need to worry. Use unmanned lanes, entry and exit points, with confidence.

If a particular lane carries signage to indicate that motorbikes should not / cannot use a particular lane, it's probably best to comply with their instructions not to do so.... Or be a rebel and ignore it, just like any no right turn signs you might see.

what to do if there is no operator at the tolls. I quite often found know one around especially at some of the smaller ones

I have never used a tag always faffing about with cards etc but I thought the tag was a good idea but not if you get auto charged at the wrong rate?

Do not use the height restricted lanes on a bike, else you will be charged as a car...and there can be no adjustment.

Should your account show you are wrongly charged using the other lanes, phone them and they will adjust...have to say its never happened to me.

Free tag application (save €10)€6 annual fee for the first year of subscription, save 50% on the annual fee from the second year onwards. Only €3* instead of €6

Just ordered my tag 👍
If you've booked or are going to book the tunnel this year you can get the tag application for free and the annual subscription halved from year 2 if you apply for one here: https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/Eurotunnel-Le-Shuttle-Offer-Landing-Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom