Which headlight guard

woody1707

Reaction score
I have the LED headlight and given how expensive they are to replace and having had a stone through a headlight on a previous bike wanted to buy a clear (not mesh) guard.

I have looked at the Touratech, Altrider, Cymark, Puig and Powerbronze offerings.

I like the idea of being able to take it off for cleaning so the Touratech one looks favourite but it does not have a flat surface and I wondered if the angles in it effected the light beam.

Any advice/help /experience on which is best.

Cheers.

Ive just ordered the Cymarc one and waiting patiently (somewhat) for it to be made/delivered.

A mate has the SW Motech one and is very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just ordered the Cymarc one too off eBay as i like the look of the design. Delivery estimated for 14/08 so not a quick turnaround.

Cymarc is very good but as standard a bit of a PIA to remove to clean, I modded the brackets on mine so the polycarbonate cover can be removed in less than a minute. Still think it is one of the best on the market.

Outer 4 bolts for the guard were removed and replaced with longer M6 items that run from the back of the brackets and through 4 stainless steel threaded spacers (loctited in) once fitted the polycarbonate guard can be placed onto the fixed bolts and then secured with four M6 nylocs

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,539
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,533
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,494
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,550
Igreat mod thanks for the pictures. I have some of their other bits and am impressed with the quality.
Cheers

Thanks all for your replies appreciate the comments.
Time for a bit of Internet shopping.
Cheers

Hi , Does the angled lens affect the headlight beam at all. I am leaning towards the Touratech.

I like the BMW one

IMG_20151128_121533378.jpg

I have the Touratech version, takes ten minutes to install the brackets and the shields pulls off for cleaning and then just pushes back on.

Yes, the BMW one is fine.
Definitely protects the headlight(s) very well.
And the fact that it is "angled" does not seem to affect the light distribution.

Yes, the BMW one is fine.
Definitely protects the headlight(s) very well.
And the fact that it is "angled" does not seem to affect the light distribution.

I like BMW Item, but it clearly states that it is for off-road use only. There has got to be a reason why BMW would put that on it.

I think they all say that when you look at the small print...
They: all after market headlight guards

sent from planet earth

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I've had the Touratech plastic one for about six months and when I cleaned the bike the other day I noticed it is starting to crack around the bottle holes.

(Sorry about the upside down pictures - but you get the idea!):D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,314
I got the Puig one. very simple to fit on the front and no issues so far. cheap too.

Cymarc is very good but as standard a bit of a PIA to remove to clean, I modded the brackets on mine so the polycarbonate cover can be removed in less than a minute. Still think it is one of the best on the market.

Outer 4 bolts for the guard were removed and replaced with longer M6 items that run from the back of the brackets and through 4 stainless steel threaded spacers (loctited in) once fitted the polycarbonate guard can be placed onto the fixed bolts and then secured with four M6 nylocs

Hi Neil. Mike here, I work for Cymarc Bike Parts. I am one of two guys who're now most directly responsible for making all of our products.

It's nice to read some feedback from customers. I see there are a few other comments of feedback too, regards turnaround time. The problem is that very very few of any of our products are kept on stock. Pretty much everything is made to order.
One of the problems we sometimes face, is that a few of our products we have to have made for us by other companies, like your headlight guard for example, the Polycarbonate guard itself, we have to have made for us by an outside company who specialize in that field of laser profiling.

Likewise with other things such as powder coating. We have to send our bare products away to be powder coated.

If any of these companies suffer any set backs or delays, it has a knock on effect for us. This is always the case if we ever find ourselves getting behind.

But just the sheer volume of work too, that alone makes it very difficult to keep at times.

But as long as customers are happy with the products we make.

It's nice to see also, that you have found a way of modifying your headlight guard so it's a bit easier to remove. I like what you've done. I'm happy that you're happy.

Kind regards,
Mike.

I am not keen on having extra scaffolding on the front of my LC; so purchased an XPel Film cover off ebay that is hardly noticeable at cost just £18 delivered.

Back
Top Bottom