French Peage booths for bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of one of these Tag thinghies too but despite having read countless posts on here about them I am still totally flummoxed as to how they work, how much they charge, how they know I'm on a bike etc etc etc.

I'm going to wait until Wapping does another of his World Famous Wanders & try to tag along on that so I can watch the voodoo in action .

Couldn't be simpler....

Go to...

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

open an account, buy a tag etc

Have tag on front of bike, in tankbag...or even stick tag holder on screen,

drive through barriers, which go up, even the 30kph ones,

bill lands in sanef ac, money goes from whichever a/c you have linked to it,

invariably gets correct rate, but they promise to correct it if wrong.

by the way....'tag' along...I see what you did...

Have a look at the sanef site.

This may seem an obvious: some machines give you a card ( as you enter a chargeable zone ) and others receive that card as you leave ( to collect your class 5 distance payment ), although some sections charge as you enter . It's very obvious when you roll up to the machine .
I have yet to experience what happens if you've lost the given card .

...and some sections are entirely free, very often around large towns and cities, as (sensibly) the French want you to avoid driving through the built up areas.

Good examples would be:

Joining the motorway at the Chunnel and just skipping around Calais, free. You won't have picked up a ticket and it's free at exit

Joining the motorway at the Chunnel and leaving at St Omer, junction 3 or 4 I think it is. You will not have picked up a ticket but you'll pay to exit at the far end of the slip road

Joining the motorway at the Chunnel and riding south to exit at Cambrai at junction 8. You will not have picked up a ticket at Calais (where it's free) but you'll pass through a payage barrier across the motorway at about junction 4'ish from memory and pick-up a ticket. You'll surrender the ticket and pay at the end of the slip road road at junction 8

Join the motorway north of Boulogne and it's free all the way to Calais. Join slightly wrong - one junction earlier - and you will encounter a payage barrier who will charge you about 24 cents to go under 100 yards.

PS Michelin maps mark the free sections. You can also ask their routing app / website to avoid motorway charges

Do you mean the nutty Nemesis is this thread?

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/97326-French-autoroutes-anyone-used-a-liber-t-tag

Post#8 onwards.

If not, point us properly in the direction of who it was, please.

Unfortunately, Stolzy is no longer with us.

No, nothing to do with that.

I've spoken to the person concerned and he confirms he was fined. I asked if he wanted to post on this thread - his reply went something like 'no, let them think they're safe, bloody know it alls' :D

Not my place to identify him if he doesn't want to get involved.

No guys.........not T30 lane !!!!! If you use a sanef tag (I have one btw for my car) on your bike and go through the T30 you will (AFAIK) be charged the car class 1 rate and they warn you about this when you get the more detailed instructions. More here. If you go through a liber T lane and the following vehicle is too close, the system will think you are a larger vehicle and again class 1. ( I think the issue with T30 is that there will always be a following vehicle so the system gets confused although it may actually be set to charge Class 1)
If you have the tag,you are recommended to hand the tag to an operator to be sure of class 5 rate: almost a pain in the neck to search for an operator cos VERY often you won't see one.
Please do confirm if anyone's been successful achieving T30 class 5.......

Also lots of fun when you keep your ticket in an outside pocket in the pouring rain and it gets chewed up in the machine.

They read it, eventually, after about 10 mins and 20 honks from the car behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, nothing to do with that.

I've spoken to the person concerned and he confirms he was fined. I asked if he wanted to post on this thread - his reply went something like 'no, let them think they're safe, bloody know it alls' :D

Not my place to identify him if he doesn't want to get involved.

A shame. It was his chance to step from the shadows. He'll forever remain an enigma, glimpsed from the corner of an eye and then gone.

No guys.........not T30 lane !!!!! If you use a sanef tag (I have one btw for my car) on your bike and go through the T30 you will (AFAIK) be charged the car class 1 rate and they warn you about this when you get the more detailed instructions. More here. If you go through a liber T lane and the following vehicle is too close, the system will think you are a larger vehicle and again class 1. ( I think the issue with T30 is that there will always be a following vehicle so the system gets confused although it may actually be set to charge Class 1)
If you have the tag,you are recommended to hand the tag to an operator to be sure of class 5 rate: almost a pain in the neck to search for an operator cos VERY often you won't see one.

Mines an APRR tag and works fine in my car and on my bike

Keep it in a water proof pocket in my jacket when on the bike and always use the t30 lanes unless there isn't one but that's rare

Always been charged the correct class even though I've thought I'd been tailgated by cars a few times

Seriously, millions of French have been using these things for decades and they are not known as early adopters of most technological advances by a long chalk :blast

If you can read foreign
https://espaceclient.aprr.fr/faq/Pages/QuestionReponse.aspx?question=1842

I don't know when those sanef guidelines were written but there are almost never any staff in the booths any more

Sorry you are wrong.

In order that there be no confusion, I HAVE used the t30 lane, several times, and been charged the correct rate. If you are overcharged they will correct it...I cannot confirm this as it has never happened to me, but that is what they say.

You should not use the height restricted lanes.

There is a limit to the number of times you can be told; I have reached mine.

Do what you like.

I respect what you are saying and if you are confirming that it worked for you then that is fabulous cos I love the T30 lane, but there is no getting away from the fact that Sanef tell you not to do it, plain as daylight they issue specific motorcycle instructions albeit with a caveat that they'll later reimburse you for an incorrect rate.
p.s. there is no cost saving for use of a Sanef Liber T tag: tolls cost the same plus a 6 Euro annual charge plus a 5 Euro charge for each month that the tag is used , more here. Fab convenience for the car, especially T30 (which you drive through at 30kph without stopping).... but still not sure about bikes :beer:

I respect what you are saying and if you are confirming that it worked for you then that is fabulous cos I love the T30 lane, but there is no getting away from the fact that Sanef tell you not to do it, plain as daylight they issue specific motorcycle instructions albeit with a caveat that they'll later reimburse you for an incorrect rate.
p.s. there is no cost saving for use of a Sanef Liber T tag: tolls cost the same plus a 6 Euro annual charge plus a 5 Euro charge for each month that the tag is used , more here. Fab convenience for the car, especially T30 (which you drive through at 30kph without stopping).... but still not sure about bikes :beer:

READ IT PROPERLY............THEY SAY NO SUCH THING....Daylight clearly dimmer where you are than the rest of us.

Your misinformation is doing nothing more than confusing people.

Direct quote from Sanef " You can use a Liber-t tag with a motorcycle with some limitations, the main one being that to avoid being charged as Class 1 vehicle you must use the manual lane and hand over the tag to the person in the toll booth." Why are they using the word MUST ? Some people use the word 'should' but must is a direct command in my dictionary.
Hey, if it works for you and everyone else then great, whats your experience? Many times or got away with it once ?

FFS!

'If there is no manned lane, use the automated Liber-t lane. When using the automated lane on a motorcycles just hold your tag up to the gantry, ensuring it is the correct way round as per the instructions it came with. Take care the vehicle (or other motorbike) behind is not too close as the equipment in the automated lane may register you as a larger vehicle and charge for a car (class 1). You can check your transactions in the 'My Account' area a few days later. If this happens you would need to contact us and request a toll adjustment. If you use the automatic lane then we can only request a toll adjustment if you have used the non-height restricted Liber-t lane, all vehicles using the 2 meter height restricted lane will be classed as class 1 with no option to adjust this.'

On my recent trip to the Med I didn't SEE a manned booth, let alone use one.

If I sound irritated, it's because I'm irritated.

You are using your misinterpretation of Sanef instructions to try and correct those of us who know, through our own experience, that you are wrong. You can never succeed, no matter how often you repeat your error.

This is never a strong position to be in, and one you would be well advised to abandon promptly. Thus you will not further confuse those who seek guidance from experienced travellers on these pages.

Bikermates....use the t30's with enthusiasm and gay abandon!

Hey, if it works for you and everyone else then great, whats your experience? Many times or got away with it once ?

I have used my bleeper thing many times, whilst hooning my awesome steed down the motorways of France.

I have never handed my bleeper thing to a bod in a booth.

If it's practicable, I tend to avoid lanes that feature a round red circle with a motorcycle inside it, meaning that the operator has - for some reason or another - deemed that motorcycles should not use them. When I have used them, I have still been billed correctly.

I have never been mischarged, always being levied a Class 5 fee when on a motorcycle.

I hope this answers your question and addresses your concerns.

I suspect that the restriction excluding motorbikes from the 'fast track' T30 lanes might be down to the risk of a possible inability of the operating system to read a motorcycle's presence fast enough and not raise the barrier in time, with the inevitable consequences.

I can hear the howls of outrage of bikermate Bob from Basingstoke as he picks his bike up having 'laid it down' (naturally, they never crash) and freed himself from Mr Frog's Renault that's parked on his head.

What restriction?

The sign that sits above some of the lanes.

French_Toll_Roads.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom